Bringing 'Cards Against Humanity' on a cruise (Celebrity)

Velvetwater

I've played the game once - found it gross and disgusting. Sure take it - not sure how many takers you'll get on a Celebrity cruise though.

I think it's hilarious. I'm 58, and sail on Celebrity, so you'll find at least a few takers.

The entire website is tongue in cheek.

It's not my thing but my husband and many friends are fans. People age 40+.

It's really just Apples to Apples but ... vulgar. Usually drinks are involved. A very wide range of people play it. Remarkably popular with attorneys.

Maybe not on HAL or Regent, but I'm sure there are experienced players on a Celebrity cruise.

Looks really funny. I may have to check this game out. I think I need it in my life. LOL

Good to hear people are considering the game because of this thread...I actually own the British version of the game (has all the US cards and a few UK bases ones) so that may be more fun for all.

It is a love it/loath it type of thing and I guess tastes are different. Its not that if you play it your are a 'horrible person' but simply your humour is a bit dark/humour helps you deal with certain issues.

I have decided to take it! Thanks folks!:)

Btw below is a tame example of a play: (Black question card and white answer card)

cards-against27.jpg

Here is a more 'controversial' but often winning type play (black question card and white answer card):

cards-against-humanity-answers-0.jpg?quality=94&strip=all

Edited by Velvetwater

I discovered this when my son went to PAX and brought a bunch of the cards home. Pretty big with the PAX crowd, eye opening different crowd. Not sure how many of that crowd cruises but I'm sure there are many other types of people that would shock their fellow cruisers whether Carnival, Disney or Seabourn :D

Maybe I'm showing my bias but I think better chance on Carnival :cool:

What is PAX?

Was this game played a couple of times on Ellen?

Sometimes you'll find people playing Scrabble or board games about (a quiet time in the buffet or in a lounge when there isn't any activities). Probably best just to set up a game on your own -- and see what happens. Maybe check the ship's newsletter to find an area where there isn't an organized activity. But I would guess that the cruise director isn't going to adopt an activity presented to them.

Love Cards Against Humanity!

It makes me laugh that people think those who sail on a particular cruise line are a homogenous group who would all love/hate this sort of thing. I think you'd find people who'd like it on any cruise line equally you'd find a proportion who would be majorly offended!

OP I wish I was on your cruise!

We have brought CAH on a couple of cruises. The first time was an all-adult charter cruise, and we had mentioned it on our Roll Call (and a couple of other places online where people from our group were chatting), so had a list of people who wanted to play. We got a group of about 8-10 people together and had a blast.

Then on our next cruise, a standard Carnival Cruise, we brought them again, but didn’t ask anyone in advance. Then at our Roll Call meetup there was one other couple who seemed like they would be into it, so we asked them, and they said they love CAH, and meant to bring their own cards, but forgot to pack them. The only problem was finding a place to play where people wouldn’t overhear us and be offended. We ended up playing in our room, which was fine for just 4 of us. (On the charter cruise, it wasn’t an issue because card room was always empty so we just used that, but on the Carnival cruise, there were people in there)

Bring it and see what happens! Also, another tip- if you end up playing in a smaller group (4 people), it makes it fun to use the “Rando Cardissian” variation described in the official rules. When the 3 players give their white cards to the judge, also include one extra random white card. That way the judge has 4 choices instead of just 3. Additionally, we made it into a drinking game- whenever the random card won, everyone had to drink! Sometimes it was crazy how good the random answers were.

Edited by CatgirlNC

On the website of the company that make this game, it's described as being for horrible, despicable people. Sorry, not my kind of thing, and doesn't sound like the Celebrity passengers we've met on our 50+ cruises on that line.

:eek: Over 50 cruises and you've not met the dark humored fun group that doesn't take everything so seriously:eek: Awe, you are missing out. To each thier own though.

OP, as long as the resulting conversations about each turn are in line with the behaviour policies of the cruise line, bring the deck and have a great time. You know this will be hilarious!

We've brought our set before and played with our friends, and we're 40, 50, and 60 somethings. Anywhere from 6 - 8 of us. The hardest part is finding someplace where we don't offend others. We've gotten many looks wondering why we're laughing so hard though. In fact, one of the crew members kept coming around while we were playing and wanted to join in. It'll be with us again on the Royal Princess over Thanksgiving!

But it's definitely not for everybody. We've played with relatives and friends that didn't completely appreciate some of the cards. Or most of the cards.

Haha, love how this thread is still going!

Its a shame all us CAH fans arent all on the same cruise, it would be a great laugh!

We are taking it to a BBQ house party tonight which may be its last airing before the cruise as I have started to pack already.

I would never of thought about taking Cards Against Humanity on a cruise, what a great idea. I could just imagine sitting in the Martini Bar or Sky Lounge playing, what a blast. And if I saw a group playing I would also grab a drink and jump in, and I am 45+

I do agree it's not a game for everybody, but it is a game for me ;)

We took ours with us on the last cruise in January. We met up with another couple and we all went to the library to play. To our surprise there was a group of 6-8 people already in the library playing their own.

I'm glad I caught this thread. I hadn't thought to bring it, but in the right company, the game is a riot. Not literally, of course. :) Will have my friend bring it along on our next cruise and see what happens.

Us and some friends (all middle-aged professional couples) just played a round of CAH last weekend. We had a blast! The DW had to step away for a bit because she was getting a "laugh headache". :p

It's certainly a lot more interesting than, say, gin rummy or shuffleboard...