Civitavecchia to Assisi?

bertrande

We are doing a short cruise next year to the Western Med and one of the ports of call is Civitavecchia. We've been to Rome a couple of times and the rest of the typical shore excursions don't really call out to us. I have seen one tour operator with an excursion from the port to Assisi - is this a common excursion that operators offer? If not, is it easy to get there on our own?

Many thanks!

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but I think you would still have to go to Rome, then on to Assisi on the train. I just checked out tours from Rome that were in the 10 hour range.

If you found a provider from Civitavecchia that says it's doable, you might be okay, BUT I think it's risky on a port day. I'd try to find a town on the same side of Italy (closer to Civitavecchia) if it were me.

Thanks to all who responded - I didn't realise Assisi was so far out from Civitavecchia! In fact, I was under the impression that it was closer to port than Rome, which was why we were even considering it in the first place. Bad geography, obviously. Back to the drawing board now as to what to do for that port...:o

Check out Ostia Antica and Tarquinia, both very close to the port and accessible by bus. I've not been to them, only by them, but they get great reviews here.

I'm just going to chime in on Ostia Antica. We were staying in Rome several days last month and took the metro(s) and train to Ostia Antica for the day. It's a very large site and well preserved/restored. However, there is little signage to help identify what one is looking at. It appears that there may have been a self-guided audio tour at one point, but now, things look a bit run down and there is no audio tour. A guide might help bring it to life. We spent several hours there and didn't see it all. The cafeteria was not bad, the only place to sit and relax in shade, eat some pasta and drink a little wine. Then, back on the very crowded train and metro into Rome. So, I'm not sure that it would be a great day trip from the ship. I'd say go to Orvieto instead.

DW and I have stayed in Assisi a few times and like the town. But we would never recommend it as a port day excursion from Civitavecchia because it is just too far for an enjoyable day. It would take us about 5 hours to drive round trip to Assisi and the train connections are just not doable (over 3 hours each way).

As someone who has done a lot of European cruising and also numerous lengthy driving trips we stress that each has their place. If you really want to see a country or go to places far from ports it makes sense to spend time in the country and either DIY with a rental car or take some kind of bus tour (we think the word "tour" is a four letter word :).

Hank