Handicap Cabins

volmoma

Just curious from what I gather from googling the Sunshine and the Dream both have 32 HC cabins available. Just wondering if this is a set number for all carnival ships or was my googling information wrong??

I can't tell you about the number of HC staterooms but IF you need a handicap be sure you have accurate information regarding the room. Some are listed as HC but are only modified. On our recent cruise we took my 83 year old mother. She is ambulatory but can not do steps. We had to be sure the bathroom did not have a step as many of the rooms have a small lip at the bathroom.

Each ship or class of ship has a different number of accessible cabins available. On a lot of the older ships, more of their accessible cabins are "modified accessible" and not fully accessible. Also, outside of the Dream class (Dream, Magic, and Breeze), most ships have only 1-2 accessible cabins that sleep more than 2 people.

The Dream class and the refurbished Sunshine have the most accessible cabins.

Also, most other lines try to spread their accessible cabins out into different categories. On Carnival, the 4J category is used heavily for accessible cabins with only a sprinkling of cabins in other categories (in the ships in the Conquest class and larger, consistently the 2 odd shaped ocean view cabins at the aft of the ship classified as accessible). Finding accessible cabins in other locations requires you to look to the accessible deck plans that Carnival has on their website.

At most there are 2 regular accessible balconies on any Carnival ship and they are both always located at the very forward of the ship on deck 6.

Although it sucks to pay for 2 cabins for the 3 of us to sail, I am very happy that the Pride (Spirit class) has accessible cabins adjacent to the aft elevators in the 4K, 7A, and 8something categories. It's one of the reasons why I have returned to sailing on Carnival. I love their Fun Ships but the placement and availability of their accessible cabins are terrible compared to most other lines.

Edited by meatloafsfan

We were looking at the deck plans and really couldn't tell until you selected the cabin and went to link that pulled up amenities, description etc. of the cabin. Didn't know if there was an easier way to know before even considering booking the cabin, being as we don't need the HC cabin. We always have a cabin in mind before we call our PVP, and hate to be told it's HC. We know we could book the room anyway but would be moved if someone needed the room....we just don't like not knowing for sure, that's all.

The fact sheets for each ship reveal:

Sunshine: 1501 total guest staterooms (13 fully accessible/19 modified for wheelchair users)

Dream: 1823 total guest staterooms (35 modified for wheelchair users)

A listing of the actual staterooms that are handicap accessible can most quickly be found here:

Sunshine: http://www.*************.com/ ship_accessible_cabins.cfm?shipid=688

Dream: http://www.*************.com/ ship_accessible_cabins.cfm?shipid=653

The blocked text is what you are doing on multiple cruises (Vacations) plus "togo" dot com.

Edited by KevInPitt