Luggage check in Seattle Pier 91

justaims29

I saw this on the Princess board for other ports but wanted to check and see if it's the same in Seattle this year.

We're planning to arrive early at the pier, drop off our luggage, then head to PPM for awhile before heading back to the pier and boarding. Can we actually go ahead and check our bags or will we need to leave them in the storage area?

Traveling on the Crown, Aug 1 sailing out of Seattle.

Pier 91 has the best luggage check in of any port. Just take your luggage to the terminal and right inside put your luggage on the conveyor belt. Usually can check in your luggage at 9AM. No porters (longshoremen). The longshoremen in Seattle are making $92/hr for a 6 hr shift and get paid for 8 hrs.

That is the reason that Seattle doesn't have porters, but it so easy to put your luggage on the conveyor belt.

Edited by chewap

Pier 91 has the best luggage check in of any port. Just take your luggage to the terminal and right inside put your luggage on the conveyor belt. Usually can check in your luggage at 9AM. No porters (longshoremen). The longshoremen in Seattle are making $92/hr for a 6 hr shift and get paid for 8 hrs.

That is the reason that Seattle doesn't have porters, but it so easy to put your luggage on the conveyor belt.

Thanks for the info!!!

Is this relatively new? Our last embarkation in Seattle was in 2013 and there were porters with carts outside in the drop off area collecting luggage.

I was able to find porters in the past, but not for the last 2 years. If you got one in 2013, you were lucky. I had cash in hand for a tip and could not get a porter for anything. They were all busy with arriving transfer buses. Last year, I didn't even bother to try to find one, just took our bags inside and saved the tip money for drinks.

By "transfer buses" I assume you mean various shared transport? We are taking Seattle Express from our airport hotel to the pier that morning. But I would almost prefer to take our bags inside ourselves.

Actually, I meant the full sized Princess transfer buses. The porters seemed to prioritize anyone on a Princess transfer and ignore anyone else.

We actually arrived at the terminal at about 10 am as we were getting married on board and were supposed to board early. Possibly we got lucky as the incoming buses hadn't started arriving yet

Edited by frankc98376

• 3 weeks later...

This information is not at all correct. First of all, there are porters at Pier 91 at least there are on Sat., Sun., Mon. and Tues. I suspect that they're there on the other days also. I don't know where the "conveyor belts" are that you speak of unless you are referring to the ones attached to the scanning machines.

I saw this on the Princess board for other ports but wanted to check and see if it's the same in Seattle this year.

We're planning to arrive early at the pier, drop off our luggage, then head to PPM for awhile before heading back to the pier and boarding. Can we actually go ahead and check our bags or will we need to leave them in the storage area?

Traveling on the Crown, Aug 1 sailing out of Seattle.

That said, you will not be able to drop of your bags at 9am as the luggage hall is still processing luggage off the ship(s) that arrived that morning. The earliest you can leave your bags with a porter will be about 10:00-10:30am or so. You can, however, leave your bags with the concierge at the pier. He is located on the west side of the pier right beside the main doors into the building.

I realize this is past your 1 Aug sailing date but thought I'd correct what was already posted here for the use of those cruising from Pier 91 later this season.

Tom

This information is not at all correct. First of all, there are porters at Pier 91 at least there are on Sat., Sun., Mon. and Tues. I suspect that they're there on the other days also. I don't know where the "conveyor belts" are that you speak of unless you are referring to the ones attached to the scanning machines.

That said, you will not be able to drop of your bags at 9am as the luggage hall is still processing luggage off the ship(s) that arrived that morning. The earliest you can leave your bags with a porter will be about 10:00-10:30am or so. You can, however, leave your bags with the concierge at the pier. He is located on the west side of the pier right beside the main doors into the building.

I realize this is past your 1 Aug sailing date but thought I'd correct what was already posted here for the use of those cruising from Pier 91 later this season.

Tom

I'm wondering if some are confusing pier 66 and pier 91 in Seattle. I'm sure many aren't aware that we have two terminals- pier 66 downtown (primarily NCL) and pier 91 in Magnolia (HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity).

I've never sailed from pier 66 so have no clue how things work there. I don't recall seeing a conveyor belt inside the pier 91 entrance. I always used the Stevedores at pier 91 in the drop off area.

I don't recall even seeing a sign for luggage drop off inside.

This information is not at all correct. First of all, there are porters at Pier 91 at least there are on Sat., Sun., Mon. and Tues. I suspect that they're there on the other day

Tom

We were at Pier 91 on Friday 7/31 and Friday 8/7. There were plenty of porters both days. They were helpful and we used them.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Forums mobile app

I'm wondering if some are confusing pier 66 and pier 91 in Seattle. I'm sure many aren't aware that we have two terminals- pier 66 downtown (primarily NCL) and pier 91 in Magnolia (HAL, Princess, Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity).

I've never sailed from pier 66 so have no clue how things work there. I don't recall seeing a conveyor belt inside the pier 91 entrance. I always used the Stevedores at pier 91 in the drop off area.

I don't recall even seeing a sign for luggage drop off inside.

Good point. Never thought of that. Only time I've ever been at Pier 66 was 1 day for some training right before the cruise season last year and that was not anywhere near the luggage area.

Speaking of which, did you see the article about the new contract between Norwegian and Seattle and the money that's being put into upgrading that pier? Interesting.

Tom

If you go past the escalators, you'll get to the luggage drop off area--similar to the conveyor belts in airports. We didn't bother with porters, just took our bags straight in.

I see a large roll up door to the right of the escalators on the west wall facing the ship- is that where luggage drop off is? The doors to exit the Customs Hall and elevators are between the escalators.

I see a large roll up door to the right of the escalators on the west wall facing the ship- is that where luggage drop off is? The doors to exit the Customs Hall and elevators are between the escalators.

Yes, that sounds right. I remember that we dropped off our luggage, then headed back towards the outside doors and the escalators were on our right at that point. I don't know what the door looked like since it was all open when we got there.

No, the luggage drop off is in the luggage hall. Go through the main middle door at the front of the building, through the large open area and then through the doors at the back of the large open area that lead to the luggage hall. The drop off area is about half way into the luggage hall. The luggage hall is the same place as the customs hall mentioned in a different message.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

No, the luggage drop off is in the luggage hall. Go through the main middle door at the front of the building, through the large open area and then through the doors at the back of the large open area that lead to the luggage hall. The drop off area is about half way into the luggage hall. The luggage hall is the same place as the customs hall mentioned in a different message.

Tom

Thank you, Tom!! I couldn't remember the exact details, all I know is that there were friendly port employees directing us everywhere we needed to go, including the luggage drop off. :)