Cruise to Iceland ?

bee-ess

Thinking of doing an Iceland cruise on Azura in June 2016 - can anyone give an idea of what weather to expect both on the way and actually in Iceland for the 4 days. Would the sea days be warm enough to sit out - our travelling companions are not good when it is cold !!

Thanks

Just arrived back today on Oriana from a cruise around Iceland.

Weather reached highs of around 10c, but there were points where it was much colder, particularly at Isafjordur. Some sun, some rain, some cloud, some sleet. However also walking around deck at midnight in shirtsleeves from Reykjavik to Isafjordur.

On the sea days up and back, some people sat outside, but mostly wrapped up in coats and hats. Lots of mist and drizzle, with occasional sunny breaks, but still bracing with the wind. Also some fairly bouncy seas.

From speaking to locals this year was a particularly long and hard winter, that had only just finished, but the weather in Iceland is best described as "changeable". It would not be somewhere I would consider if you wanted to be guaranteed to sit outside.

Edited by insanemagnet

Thanks, both

THink that tells me what I need to know !!

On the other hand you could wait until I have returned form the Iceland trip next June on Azura and I could tell you. :) :) :)

Dai

We are off to Iceland shortly. :)

The last time we went in May and we had all weather. We took layers and wore both hat, scarf and rain coats. It wasn't unpleasantly cold but you did go from sunshine to showers very quickly.

On the other hand you could wait until I have returned form the Iceland trip next June on Azura and I could tell you. :) :) :)

Dai

Think I'm looking at the same cruise, but not sure that our friends will go for it - they don't like cold.

Edited by bee-ess

We are off to Iceland shortly. :)

The last time we went in May and we had all weather. We took layers and wore both hat, scarf and rain coats. It wasn't unpleasantly cold but you did go from sunshine to showers very quickly.

Thanks, thought it would be warmer, guess I was thinking similar to Norway. We have been to Norway twice and had good weather both times.

When we went to Iceland the weather was chilly on the way, but when we got to Reykjavik and Akureyri it was warm enough to wander around in short sleeves, even in the evenings. The weather is the weather, impossible to predict, it could be warm enough to sit outside in shorts, or it may cold enough to have to wear hats and gloves!

We have just returned from the Iceland cruise on Oriana. We had a variety of weather, but it wasn't hot. We took the appropriate clothing and had a great time. Loved Iceland and would definately return. Temperatures probably varied during the day between 9 and 15c. It is interesting and very different, which we liked.

We have done an Iceland and Norway cruise twice in June, the latter on the Eclipse a week ago. The weather on both has been the same. Cloudy, drizzly and temperatures between 8 and 15 degrees. Its really not a cruise where you expect sun but if you get it then its a bonus. I would add that indoor solarium on Eclipse was very welcome at a stready 21 degrees. The scenary is superb though, whatever the weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As someone who has recently sailed on Oriana to Iceland end June, I took warm/rainproof clothes as I was expecting the worst weather (well, hopefully 12deg. at best) but it was worse than that! We were in the thermal bath at Myvatn and it was raining and 8degrees. You had to be very brave running from & back to the changing rooms!

Both of the day trips to The Golden Circle and Jewels of the North & Myvatn were approx. £100 each, included very basic lunches, and the Godfoss & Gulfoss waterfalls were both spoilt by the unpleasant wet weather.

On this trip, the best weather & best welcome was at Killybegs, in Donegal, Ireland, on the way up.

If you'd like to see spectacular scenery, waterfalls, a few geysers, and don't want to be cold & miserable, wet & windblown, then I'd recommend a trip to the Azores which is beautiful & was much more enjoyable!

Thinking of doing an Iceland cruise on Azura in June 2016 - can anyone give an idea of what weather to expect both on the way and actually in Iceland for the 4 days. Would the sea days be warm enough to sit out - our travelling companions are not good when it is cold !!

Thanks

My son spent a week in Iceland in late May this year. Weather was mainly around 15 degrees, cloudy and drizzly or full-on rain. Temps were often reduced by the almost constant wind blowing.

Both of the day trips to The Golden Circle and Jewels of the North & Myvatn were approx. £100 each, included very basic lunches

I used an independent Icelandic company who provided identical versions of both tours, but with an additional short tour around both town centres at the end. Pickup and dropoff was at the ship, and the tours were done in 16 seater minbuses. Lunch was not provided, but an opportunity to buy or eat food brought from the ship.

We avoided some of the weather and the crowds, as the driver altered the order of the stops to provide the best experience.

The cost was around £45 each.

Edited by insanemagnet