Weather in Alaska

richardj450

Weather is impossible to predict. Could be just about anything! I would just suggest you look at the long range forecast for each port a few days before you leave. At least that would give you a "hint" of what the weather might be like.

We will be on the Solstice next week RT Alaska / Seattle. I have been watching the weather in SE Alaska. So far it has been warm and not a lot of snow. This week is nice but the next 2 weeks call for a lot of rain :( I have cruised to Alaska 3 times before and have always had rain. Different months all 3 times. Maybe I have just been unlucky. Hope you have sunny skies.

It could be cool or scorching hot.

The best plan for Alaska is to dress in layers that are light and easily removed. The top layer should always be a water resistant light weight nylon shell. I've cruised in Alaska in May , June and Sept . I had a day in Skagway that was in the low 90's . Days when cruising near glaciers then to on the cooler side.

We are off to Alaska July 11 . Forcast is calling for rain one week and the next being sunny .

Edited by Kamloops50

Pack lots of layers and a lightweight but quality raincoat. As the previous post stated you really can not predict. If you are going on an excursion you will need to take a raincoat with you but may not need it. On our cruise several people had heavier rainwear which then were awkward to carry when the sun was out. The ones that have the zip in/zip out fleece are ideal.

As others mentioned, the weather is highly unpredictable. I am in Alaska right now, on land pre-cruise. The temps. I checked last week were cool or cold, so i did not think to pack any short pants. Big mistake. I've been to Alaska on previous cruises and land trips. I broght mostly warm clothing and of course an outter light rain jacket. Oh well, maybe they will come in handy during the cruise in a few days.

Summary - in Alaska, you have to prepare for everything, unfortunately.