Bear tour in Skagway/Haines?

AZ Deb

My group of four from the Celebrity Solstice will be in Skagway on Sept. 1 from 7a to 6p. We'd like to do a bear tour and are eyeing either Eco Orca's Chilkoot Lake Nature Tour & Bear Watching Adventure (catamaran trip to Haines for the bear-watching portion), or Rainbow Glacier Adventure's similar tour.

Does anyone have feedback on either, or suggestions for an alternative? We are already doing an expensive flight excursion in Juneau (dog sledding on glacier) so can't afford to do a float plan to one of the prime bear-watching spots in Ketchikan.

Thanks in advance!

We did the Rainbow nature and bear watching tour in early September last year. We had been to Haines several times before and always love viewing the beautiful mountain and lake scenery. We did not see any bears on that tour, however, Haines is a great place to see eagles. If you haven't been to Haines, it's well worth seeing, just don't count on seeing bears.

It'll probably be almost too late for you, but we're doing a private photo tour in Haines with Rainbow August 13th. I'll try to remember to post here as soon as we get back with feedback in case it's helpful.

If you are going there to see bears, frankly- you are better off, going independent, and renting a car. I use Avis. Bears are sometimes seen on the way to Chilkoot Lake, and it's of significant advantage to be on the move, and not stuck with other people or a "tour".

You will need to verify the ferry schedule for your day, You don't have the ideal port times of later departures. But I would be on the first available ferry there and fly back. Alternative would be the ferry back.