late return rental car in maui-?return shuttle to POA

juneybugel

Hi all, we will be traveling on NCL POA starting Jan 23/16. We will be renting a car the first day in Maui but not the second day as we are going up to the volcano for sunrise with a tour and feel it would be a waste to have the car for only a couple of hours the 2nd day. Therefore, we will be returning the car rental to the airport likely after 8 pm the first night.

Does anyone know if the shuttle to the POA will still be running at that time or how I find out? We will likely be using Alamo as that seems to be the cheapest rate so far. If not, would taxis be readily available? Any idea of cost from Kahului airport to POA pier?

Also, anyone have any problems with Alamo car rentals?

Thanks in advance!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

Our experience with Alamo on Maui was great - they would be my first choice (we've used other agencies there as well).

Here's a link to a thread from a few days ago that discusses late returns.

Just to add, I'd opt to keep the car and drive up Haleakala yourselves ... but I'd do it in daylight. It's a very scenic drive, and nice to explore up there when it's not quite as cold as it will be at sunrise. Also, not getting up in the middle of the night might be appealing, and you'd have the car for additional exploring that day.