The New Maritime Internet Service for Celebrity Eclipse

Ncsblj6430

Has anyone used or do you have any comments about the new Maritime internet service that is being offered? How is the connection on X Eclipse? I am looking to FaceTime with my grandchild during our 14 day cruise this coming March and would like to know about the connection time. I am looking to getting the Browsing Package if the connection is fast enough or should I look at the Social Package? We probably will FaceTime every third day.

INTERNET PACKAGES* - NEW! Now available for purchase pre-cruise

Item Browsing: $59 for 90 minutes

Item Social: $109 for 240 minutes

Item Day Pass: $59 per day (one full day of continuous access)

Item Unlimited: $299 for a 6-9 day voyage; $349 for a 10-14 day voyage

Item As you go: $.79 per minute (pay by the minute) Only available on board

Hi. In May/June this year I bought unlimited wifi, which was perfectly adequate in terms of mail and the Internet, but the band width is not sufficient to run FaceTime according to the Expert in th Internet Connections. I was sorry about that because I wanted to FaceTime my granddaughter on her birthday, but I was still glad I bought the unlimited package (even if it was expensive). The Internet was unavailable on only two occasions when I was attempting to connect, both for a short time only, but I would probably have been more upset if I had bought a timed package. I don't know how much area dictates access, but for your information we went to Scandanavia and the Baltics. Hope this helps.

My daughter was able to Facetime her husband and son on a cruise two years ago. The connection was not great, but at least they got a glimpse and a word or two of each other. This past year, instead of Facetiming, she used her iPad to iMessage (faster than email and less than using her cell plan). he husband was able to send photos of her son through iMessage and we to him. ;)

Best time to try this is early in the morning, or late in the evening when everyone is eating or at the shows.

Edited by Iamthesea

Hi. In May/June this year I bought unlimited wifi, which was perfectly adequate in terms of mail and the Internet, but the band width is not sufficient to run FaceTime according to the Expert in th Internet Connections. I was sorry about that because I wanted to FaceTime my granddaughter on her birthday, but I was still glad I bought the unlimited package (even if it was expensive). The Internet was unavailable on only two occasions when I was attempting to connect, both for a short time only, but I would probably have been more upset if I had bought a timed package. I don't know how much area dictates access, but for your information we went to Scandanavia and the Baltics. Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot. Thanks for the information.

My daughter was able to Facetime her husband and son on a cruise two years ago. The connection was not great, but at least they got a glimpse and a word or two of each other. This past year, instead of Facetiming, she used her iPad to iMessage (faster than email and less than using her cell plan). he husband was able to send photos of her son through iMessage and we to him. ;)

Best time to try this is early in the morning, or late in the evening when everyone is eating or at the shows.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Our 16 night Eclipse TA this April/May had very spotty internet and mostly very slow.....can't imagine trying to use Facetime, perhaps it will be better by next spring.... it didn't matter to me.... but I know it's important to many.... I really LIKE being out of touch....:D

Our 16 night Eclipse TA this April/May had very spotty internet and mostly very slow.....can't imagine trying to use Facetime, perhaps it will be better by next spring.... it didn't matter to me.... but I know it's important to many.... I really LIKE being out of touch....:D

I totally understand. This time will be a little different for us because it will be the first time we would be apart from our grandson for 14 days. I am praying the new internet service will be quicker to allow Facetime at least once or twice during our cruise.

Thanks for the information.

Has this new and improved internet been implemented on all ships? We are sailing on the Solstice in November and connectivity is always a large concern. (I wish it weren't!)

The "improved" Internet is still slow. Painfully slow at times. Just slow at others. I don't imagine being able to have much success with FaceTime.

How about leaving a videotape or cd to play for your grandson? I know the quality will be better and you will know he will see you.

The "improved" Internet is still slow. Painfully slow at times. Just slow at others. I don't imagine being able to have much success with FaceTime.

How about leaving a videotape or cd to play for your grandson? I know the quality will be better and you will know he will see you.

Connectivity is going to get even worse with the new BBB offers with unlimited internet. It's going to be really, really slow.

Keep in mind that speed of the internet is also predicated on the amount of users. So if you get on between 11 pm and 7 am you'll have good speeds, but net speeds will slow down during peak times during the day.