Is JetBlue worth $100/pp than American?

Flafun888

JetBlue is my airline of choice, and since JFK is a hub I often get the opportunity to at least consider them. I will admit that the features that put JetBlue on the map when they first started flying 15 or16 years ago (leather seats, cheap fares, live DiecTV) no longer have the same level of appeal. In short, if the price is right, I will spend a little more for JetBlue than a legacy carrier.

My last flight with AA was in Oct 2014, and JetBlue was in May 2014. Both were trips between NYC and Orlando. AA was on an old 737-800 (not retrofitted) and an international configured 757-200. JetBlue was on the classic A320. I still found JetBlue to be better - more comfortable, warmer flight attendants, better entertainment, overall a better experience.

For a 2-3 hour flight to Florida, I'll only spend so much more for JetBlue over another carrier. But for a 5-6 hour transcontinental flight, that limit jumps, and I'd easily spend $100 more.

I hope you have a good experience!

AA was on an old 737-800 (not retrofitted) and an international configured 757-200.

AA are using intl 767s sporadically on MIA route from JFK.

I have a couple of trips down there and was pleasantly surprised to get old intl J seats for F on the 757 as it was, but then one of the flights changed to a newly configured intl 767 with 1-2-1 seating.

Edited by fbgd

JetBlue is my airline of choice, and since JFK is a hub I often get the opportunity to at least consider them. I will admit that the features that put JetBlue on the map when they first started flying 15 or16 years ago (leather seats, cheap fares, live DiecTV) no longer have the same level of appeal. In short, if the price is right, I will spend a little more for JetBlue than a legacy carrier.

My last flight with AA was in Oct 2014, and JetBlue was in May 2014. Both were trips between NYC and Orlando. AA was on an old 737-800 (not retrofitted) and an international configured 757-200. JetBlue was on the classic A320. I still found JetBlue to be better - more comfortable, warmer flight attendants, better entertainment, overall a better experience.

For a 2-3 hour flight to Florida, I'll only spend so much more for JetBlue over another carrier. But for a 5-6 hour transcontinental flight, that limit jumps, and I'd easily spend $100 more.

I hope you have a good experience!

Barry: thanks for sharing your experiences...I did end up booking JB after all. AA's earlier arrival was better and they were cheaper, but I caught a fairly decent price for a JB nonstop and just went for it. I don't think all AA flights are bad, but there were so many specific complaints about that particular AA 738 aircraft that would have also been the one for my flight, that I didn't want to chance it for a 6 hr ordeal. Seasoned business passengers were pretty vocal about the discomfort - even people who paid for extra-legroom/preferred seats. (My husband believes I over-think and over-research everything...he's probably right!)

Edited by Flafun888

Barry: thanks for sharing your experiences...I did end up booking JB after all. AA's earlier arrival was better and they were cheaper, but I caught a fairly decent price for a JB nonstop and just went for it. I don't think all AA flights are bad, but there were so many specific complaints about that particular AA 738 aircraft that would have also been the one for my flight, that I didn't want to chance it for a 6 hr ordeal. Seasoned business passengers were pretty vocal about the discomfort - even people who paid for extra-legroom/preferred seats. (My husband believes I over-think and over-research everything...he's probably right!)

I can't think of anything that makes an AA 737-800 less comfortable than any other standard domestic aircraft. Admittedly I've only ridden them in coach the once, and in an exit row, but pitch, seat width etc. are all very industry standard even in the cheapest of the cheap seats.

AA are using intl 767s sporadically on MIA route from JFK.

I have a couple of trips down there and was pleasantly surprised to get old intl J seats for F on the 757 as it was, but then one of the flights changed to a newly configured intl 767 with 1-2-1 seating.

Are you speaking about business class? That's a whole different conversation. I was talking coach.

It sounds like you and I are very similar people when it comes to our air travel; my fiance and my family would probably agree with your husband! I love to fly, so when I'm excited about a trip I try to track the aircraft data, as well as departure/arrival time, gate info, etc. for weeks beforehand.....Or I participate in forum conversations on Cruise Critic!

As we know AA is really trying to re-invent themselves, and I will say their newly renovated terminal at JFK is gorgeous (though a little big if your flight gates at the far concourse). I haven't had the opportunity to fly on one of their newly retrofitted planes, but I will certainly give them another chance. Of those two flights to Florida, the outbound wasn't bad, but the inbound was rough (1 hour delay in leaving, limited entertainment, exhausted child behind me who threw a tantrun most of the flight, delay in landing). I realize I can't blame AA for most of the problems, but it still leave a bad taste.

At the end of the day, AA is fine. I once flew (not by choice) on Transaero JFK-Moscow-Tel Aviv, and nothing is as bad as that - old aircraft, personal TVs but no IFE, not one of the flight attendants spoke English, a fight on the plane. I've flown El Al a number of times as well, which I find to be fine but others absolutely hate (of course, their 777s are better than their 747s).

I can't think of anything that makes an AA 737-800 less comfortable than any other standard domestic aircraft. Admittedly I've only ridden them in coach the once, and in an exit row, but pitch, seat width etc. are all very industry standard even in the cheapest of the cheap seats.

Yes, only an upgrade to Economy Plus or even higher makes a dramatic difference. But the specific type of seat or quantity of seats in the cabin can affect comfort.