Power Strip question

rjhollan

In the past we've taken power strips on board (US 110v) with no issue. I was thinking of taking one of these as well, to plug my CPAP machine into next to the bed, where the lamp is plugged in. Does anyone know if these are acceptable or if they would be confiscated?

Power Strip

Voltage Converter

Thanks,

Rich

Nope, your power strip cannot have a surge protector and doesn't need anything but 110V ability. You do not need a voltage converter.

The outlets beside the bed will not always be accessable. So your best bet is to simply purchase a brand new 20ish foot long extention cord and leave it in it's original packaging in a carry on with your CPAP machine.

You need to plan on having to plug it in on the dresser which may be across the room.

This is taken right from the Carnival FAQ's for exceptions of what is allowed:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

If it has a surge protector you cannot bring it aboard.

I travel with this one and have never had an issue.

http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436565262&sr=8-6&keywords=power+strip+with+usb

Definitely bring a long extension cord for your CPAP just in case!

You were lucky on your June cruise. The "no surge protector" is a fairly new addition. (maybe 6 months). We always take a multi plug with surge protector. Recently switched to stay in compliance.

Why no surge protector?

Can someone explain it extremely simple terms. Not mechanical at all :)

What I have heard is that it's because surge protectors are designed to send surges of power downwards, which is fine if you are in your home, however on a ship, the ship's electrical systems are on the bottom levels.

Why no surge protector?

Can someone explain it extremely simple terms. Not mechanical at all :)

What I have heard is that it's because surge protectors are designed to send surges of power downwards, which is fine if you are in your home, however on a ship, the ship's electrical systems are on the bottom levels.

Long answer, short, due to the difference in wiring systems between ships and shore, surge protectors can not function properly, and can be dangerous as stated in the USCG Safety Notice:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Furthermore, surge protectors are not needed, as there are much smaller variations in voltage onboard than ashore, and lightning is routed along a different path than through the ground wire as it is shoreside.

You were lucky on your June cruise. The "no surge protector" is a fairly new addition. (maybe 6 months). We always take a multi plug with surge protector. Recently switched to stay in compliance.

Ah...I didn't realize that. Guess I'll have to look for something new.

:)

I have to use a CPAP and a nebulizer and I just talk to special needs dept.

at carnival and they make sure I have a gallon of distilled water which I

pay $4.oo for and it is a good deal because I do not have to carry my own

and they have a 3o foot extension cord in the room waiting for me. If it

is not there I just ask the room steward and it is there before bed time.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

http://smile.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436565262&sr=8-6&keywords=power+strip+with+usb

We used this on our RC cruise last March without a problem. Wonder why Carnival is putting in this restriction. Loved this because of the two USB charging ports. Guess I'll have to research for something else :mad:

Long answer, short, due to the difference in wiring systems between ships and shore, surge protectors can not function properly, and can be dangerous as stated in the USCG Safety Notice:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Furthermore, surge protectors are not needed, as there are much smaller variations in voltage onboard than ashore, and lightning is routed along a different path than through the ground wire as it is shoreside.

Thank you.

Second paragraph, last line in the linked document explained it well.

I was going to buy that, but noted it has a surge protector, which is not allowed. Not sure why, I would think that would be a good thing.

Is this ok?? We both have CPAP's and need to plug them in. Fortunately the newer models of the CPAP's that we have have longer cords but what I plan to do is run an extension cord from the vanity area under the bed and plug in our cpaps from there. can we still have a non protected power strip if it's new so we can plug in our phones too?

I've actually walked into a cabin occupied by a plethora of teenage girls...plugged into the strip were a hair dryer, a curling iron, heated rollers, a couple of phones, and a electric light bulb operated scented candle burner. If you give some passengers an inch they often take a mile. Needless to say the strip was gone that evening when the room was turned down, as well as the candle burner.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Is this ok?? We both have CPAP's and need to plug them in. Fortunately the newer models of the CPAP's that we have have longer cords but what I plan to do is run an extension cord from the vanity area under the bed and plug in our cpaps from there. can we still have a non protected power strip if it's new so we can plug in our phones too?

Yes. That will work! I run an extension cord from the powerstrip to the CPAP and a lil fan. Then on the power strip we plug in our chargers.

Have a great cruise!!

:)

Excellent. I can then buy a small 4 slot USB adapter to plug into one of the outlets. That should do the trick....

I bought this one and took it on a recent cruise to plug into the desk power outlet:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-14837-Outlets-Safety-1-5-Feet/dp/B00JAO8T8W

It doesn't have a surge protector, and the cord is short enough to make it easy to pack and the cord doesn't crowd up the desk. The cord is too short to make it very useful for out-of-the-way wall sockets, but it's perfect for desktop items.

I bought this one and took it on a recent cruise to plug into the desk power outlet:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-14837-Outlets-Safety-1-5-Feet/dp/B00JAO8T8W

It doesn't have a surge protector, and the cord is short enough to make it easy to pack and the cord doesn't crowd up the desk. The cord is too short to make it very useful for out-of-the-way wall sockets, but it's perfect for desktop items.

Look at the Product Description says surge protector