Canadian News channel

artmc

Yikes. Isn't that what the internet is for and the freebie daily newsletter?

Anything really newsworthy is covered by the channels they provide. Every port has Wifi so you can always use that rather than pay on the ship.

Geez,aren't cruises supposed to be for getting away from it all.

Everytime some one says that they cruise "to get away from it all" I feel a twinge of sympathy. Like how bad it must be back at home for them:(. We cruise for the love of the experience and we are also itinerary driven. But we hate being away from our children, parents and friends and we try to stay in touch to see how everyone is and to also share our experiences. All our cruises and pre/post land stays have been at least 4+ weeks, so yes, news from home is also important to us.

Here's how I look at it.

Every time I see a thread about sun bathing or chair hogs, I don't bother reading it.

Why, you may ask? Because I don't care about sitting on the deck with the sun beating down on me. I could go on about skin cancer and health issues and question people why they would want to do that. But I don't. It's their cruise and if they want to sit in the sun, who am I to question it.

And if someone wants to watch the news while on a cruise, (like me for example) who am I to question why they want to watch the news while on a cruise.

Given that there are so many of us passengers from the Land of the Ice and Snow (Canada, eh!) you'd think there would be at least one Canadian news channel. Sailing on a seven day Western Caribbean cruise in February (the Silhouette) I noticed there were two British channels and at least one French channel.

I know there are those news bulletins in the front lobby, but they are somewhat limited.

So will my fellow Canucks join me in raising a groundswell of demand (politely though, after all, we're Canadian) for CBC or CTV?

I agree that a Canadian news channel would be a welcome addition.

Everytime some one says that they cruise "to get away from it all" I feel a twinge of sympathy. Like how bad it must be back at home for them:(. We cruise for the love of the experience and we are also itinerary driven. But we hate being away from our children, parents and friends and we try to stay in touch to see how everyone is and to also share our experiences. All our cruises and pre/post land stays have been at least 4+ weeks, so yes, news from home is also important to us.

That's a bit...harsh, don't you think? My life isn't bad back home-not everything is perfect, but whose life is? If everyone is honest, then we all have challenges. I actually think it's good to unplug and "get away from it all" for a little while. My DH travels for his job and he works very very hard when he is at home. International calls at all hours, constant communication and the computer? Don't get me started!

So that is why we cruise. It used to be really difficult to stay connected with the world and we loved it-he could completely relax for a few days and go back to work with renewed energy and perspective. Now the phone goes in the safe. It is allowed to come out around 4pm each day and he communicates with others for about an hour. And then it goes right back in and stays put. A self-imposed lack of communication, if you will.

So keep the channels, add Canadian channels if you want, but please don't feel a bit of sympathy for those of us who do/need to "get away from it all!" We're over here hoping you get a chance to do exactly that, someday!

Aren't the BBC & CNN channels they show the International ones. I'm sure it's BBC Worldwide. Whilst both will show 'Home' news, I think the majority of it is International. When I've watched the BBC channel on a ship, it's nothing like the BBC news we have back in the UK.

This winter we will be in the Caribbean and onboard the Summit for over two months.

Id like the option of a Canadian news channel though I get the Montreal Gazette and Globe and Mail delivered digitaly to our ipod/pads