Bistro on 5 question

emilygrace

Is this venue open at dinner time? We are not doing formal on our upcoming Solstice cruise and therefore we won't be going into the dining room on those nights. So I was wondering if Bistro on 5 is an alternative for dinner.

Thank you!

Is this venue open at dinner time? We are not doing formal on our upcoming Solstice cruise and therefore we won't be going into the dining room on those nights. So I was wondering if Bistro on 5 is an alternative for dinner.

Thank you!

Yep, it's open through dinner time. And with an expanded menu, an even better choice than before.

You can also eat in any of the specialty restaurants on formal night and not dress formal. The only place that formal wear is suggested is in the main dining room. That's it. Everywhere else on the ship on formal night it is smart casual.

Have a great time! You don't have to just eat in the buffet or Bistro on Five (although they are great and with their new expanded menu, even better).

Yes it sure is! Formal nights were actually very popular at Bistro On 5 as many people were trying to get away from the formal evening. I'd definitely recommend making a booking.

We dined a few times at Bistro for lunches on port days and found it very quiet and peaceful. Much more enjoyable than the buffet lunch rush!

We loved Solstice so much, we booked another two cruises onboard :)

I've listed below the link to my Solstice review and also the section on Bistro On 5.

Feel free to let me know if you have any queries!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2192606

BISTRO ON 5

We dined at Bistro on 5 twice for lunch on port days, as a quieter alternative to the buffet.

There was a US$7.00 per person cover charge and both times, we were only one of two tables so it definitely was quiet and relaxing.

On offer is a range of savoury and sweet crepes which were amazing and cooked to order, as well as some beautiful soups. There were also salads and paninis to order, however we didn’t try these.

Bistro on 5 was available for most of the day for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack in between.

Reservations generally not required however I did hear that the evening of the first formal evening, Bistro On 5 was booked out with guests wanting to avoid the formal attire of the dining room. So maybe this is a night to make a reservation if you are planning on going.

When we were on the Reflection in April the fee was raised to $10 and the menu had major changes. We did not find the changes appealing as the selection was more limited and some of my favorites were eliminated.

I guess I will wait until we are on board and can check out the new menu before I make a reservation. When we were on the Solstice in 2013 we had lunch there one day and I loved it (I am a fan of savory crepes), so I thought this would be a good alternative on formal nights. I don't mind the price increase if I still like the menu.

Significantly improved menu although more ideally suited to lunch. Crepes are still available both savoury and desert, pannini are now not available but they will make a toasted sandwich with your choice of filing.

Soups are superb, homemade beefburger are fabulous as is the shrimp salad also there is a daily special, we had a roast beef dinner one lunchtime.

Although price is increased to $10pp it is worth it for the personal service and ambiance, but would prefer to pay the extra and make the evening more special by visiting either Tuscan Grille or Murano restaurants which cost $45 or $50pp which ever you choose.

Does anyone know if gluten free crepes are available early on embarkation day?

I ask because a couple of years ago on Mellinium, every place that supposedly had gluten free items kept telling us to come back the next day. I was hoping to go to Bistro for lunch upon arrival.

The reason we were thinking Bistro on 5 is that we really don't care too much for the specialty restaurants. I know we are in the minority, but it's just too much food and personal attention for us.

We frequently go to the buffet in the evenings. They have sushi, grilled fish & meats, pasta. Depending on the ship they have other items, too. It's not crowded and very quiet.