Help with Philadelphia layover.

TinkBellaMom

I know this may be an offensive question to those of you from Philly but excuse me for asking. Is it possible to find an decent cheesesteak at the airport? Hubby is not comfortable in leaving the airport, thought maybe we could at least catch a taste of Philly. No disrespect meant.;)

For my 2 cents, I'm born and raised in Philly, in and out of the airport alot, and while it's a great place to visit, I wouldn't leave the airport at all. I would think about renting a room at the Marriott, and nap all day. But I think that is on the outside of the security lines, and then you'll need to rescan in. Usually not to bad, but you're going into the international wings, they can get terrible. I usually plan on 3 hours to check in and scan through them minimum.

Best idea then is buying day passes to your airlines lounge. Most have one here. Never leave security area, and have a base of operations to return to after walking and eating in the terminals.

You can get a better cheesesteak in ft Myers than at the philly airport. Google Philly Junction in ft Myers and you will find a place on summerlin. Having lived a lot of years in philly, the secret is in the rolls, and philly junction has the bread shipped in from Philly. We stop there when we get in town.

Have fun,

That is too funny! I will check it out for sure. Thank You!

I know this may be an offensive question to those of you from Philly but excuse me for asking. Is it possible to find an decent cheesesteak at the airport? Hubby is not comfortable in leaving the airport, thought maybe we could at least catch a taste of Philly. No disrespect meant.;)

Probably not, but there is a Chickie's and Pete's in one or two of the terminals (get the crab fries!!), and I believe there is a Tony Luke's somewhere as well. You should be able to get cheesesteaks at either place. These outposts probably will not be as good as going to the actual restaurants in the city, but better than the other airport food. :rolleyes:

If you're flying business class then you'll have access to the Admirals Clubs. There are cubbies for you to leave bags but they aren't secure and I'd not feel comfortable about leaving items there for any period of time. That's the closest you'll find to a locker in the airport.

There are several Admirals Clubs at PHL and you could lounge hop. The ACs aren't world class but they're an option if you're cautious about leaving the secured area with the attached Marriott being an option too.

I've taken the train, which is extremely convenient with good service. Not sure what the "worry" is, with so much time? Of course, there are people who simply can not venture out on their own. Would have to determine?

Sorry, there is no "good" cheesesteak option in the airport.

I've spent a lot of time there, including on international flights, which frequently go out of the distant A terminal. :) I think it's a great airport to get stuck in- in my skewed thinking. :)

Thanks to all that posted, I'm finding the information very useful also.

We are flying back from MAD through PHL in November on FF. Only available FF seats had an overnight in PHL. So...we get in at 4:05 pm. on a Friday night. By the time we get through immigration/customs and check in to our hotel it will probably be 6pm (hotel is a player to be named later airport hotel). I'm not sure if at this point we'll feel like going into town, but I'll definitely link this thread into my trip folder.

Still hoping they open up some FF seats on either the last two US Air flights to DTW so that we can get home same day. But if not, after reading this thread, looks like an evening in Philly is doable.