POA questions re: cruise after 2016 dry dock upgrade etc.

Freckles_51

I'm considering booking the first cruise after dry dock in March 2016 on POA. I was told more studios would be added on lower decks but was told by NCL (general booking phone number) I cannot book one of those yet because the layout isn't available.

I can book one on deck 13 fwd. It is below the top deck which is a sun deck. Will I hear scraping of chairs early in the morning?

How would it work if I wanted to change to a lower deck once the new layout is available? They probably allow upgrades at a cost, but would a lower deck be considered a downgrade in this case and would it be considered a cancellation and then rebooking at new price?

I asked about booking an inside for a single, cost is only about $50 more for an inside on deck 11 fwd (Lido) than studio on deck 13. Seems like a good option. Nice location, but does anyone know what is the white space above on deck 12?

I might consider booking flights through NCL also, just in case the cruise is cancelled by NCL due to delayed completion of upgrades. I want to fly to San Francisco 2 days early and was told I could do that but that I would have to then book the hotel through NCL, but currently hotels are not available to book through NCL. I'm assuming the hotel cost will be higher than if I book it myself?

Thanks for help or advice :)

I asked about booking an inside for a single, cost is only about $50 more for an inside on deck 11 fwd (Lido) than studio on deck 13. Seems like a good option. Nice location, but does anyone know what is the white space above on deck 12?

I might consider booking flights through NCL also, just in case the cruise is cancelled by NCL due to delayed completion of upgrades. I want to fly to San Francisco 2 days early and was told I could do that but that I would have to then book the hotel through NCL, but currently hotels are not available to book through NCL. I'm assuming the hotel cost will be higher than if I book it myself?

Thanks for help or advice :)

I think you are looking at the cruise that returns to Hawaii from San Francisco after the dry dock. This cruise is filling up fast. I would suggest booking a cabin and then you can work out a potential cabin change if people cancel around the final payment date. Be sure that you would be comfortable in any cabin you select as you might be stuck there.

I would book the hotel and flight privately as there are great sites that will give you options. Look at travel sites for flight and hotel packages from Big box stores and other travel oranizations. This will most likely save you $$$ and give you flexibility in your travel choices. Public transportation is great in and around the Bay area so you don't have to book a hotel right at the port which tend to cost much more than outlying areas if price is a concern.

Edited by gwsster

I too would book flight and hotel separately it will save you money. You can book 1 way to SF then SF to HNL. You also may be able to score cheaper flight out of SF as a lot of Asians fly from SF to HNL and there are a couple reasonable airlines that do this along with all the American lines.

yes that is the itinerary. Thanks for your reply and advice :)

You are welcome. I am booked on the POA in April of 2016 and wanted to change my cruise after dry dock back to Hawaii. When I checked the availability of suites, they were sold out for this one time sailing. I got a great deal on a suite for my April 2016 sailing and came in $$$ less than booking 2 balconies for the 4 sisters sailing together, so I am happy with my booking and can't wait to see what the ship will look like after dry dock.

I too would book flight and hotel separately it will save you money. You can book 1 way to SF then SF to HNL. You also may be able to score cheaper flight out of SF as a lot of Asians fly from SF to HNL and there are a couple reasonable airlines that do this along with all the American lines.

Thanks for the info but I will not need a flight from San Francisco to Honolulu. The ship sails from San Francisco after dry dock upgrades. I do need to fly back though and coming back through SF is a possibility but upon checking flights it will more likely be through LA

Edited by Freckles_51

Having stayed in one of the studios on deck 13,I can tell you it was very quite and in a low traffic area very far forward.I don't believe the area directly above my cabin 13003,was accessible to passengers.that being said I really enjoyed my studio and adjacent lounge space.not to mention Hawaii and the cruise were great as well.

We are booked on the POA SF to HNL. There are screaming deals on this cruise. Suites WERE $2300 pp. A normal 7 day cruise on the POA for a suite is $3400pp. If you are thinking about booking this cruise don't think too long. The studios remaining are NOT a good deal on this cruise.