Cruise Secrets Revealed

kelelmel

The biggest thing I learned was not to spring for expensive vintage wine on a ship because wine needs to be undisturbed to age correctly and, as the voice over commentator observed, "a ship is always moving."

Any wine connoiseurs out there that know if it's really true?

A wine is aged first within the cask then within the bottle ... before it is distributed for consumption. I don't believe the motion of the ship would play as big a factor as being shipped on an 18-wheeler across the country.

I noticed several cruise programs were replayed this past week, including the ship remaking in drydock. I'd really like to see someone take on a "biography" of sorts of each major cruise line. It would include the company culture, ships, demographics, entertainment offered, itineraries, etc. Now that would be an informative series.

I agree with Keith that you learn much more here than in any TV program I've ever seen. So much experience shared on the board from insiders as well as very frequent cruisers. While I get impatient with the board's operational issues from time to time, I try to remind myself what a great asset is provided here for us.

A wine is aged first within the cask then within the bottle ... before it is distributed for consumption. I don't believe the motion of the ship would play as big a factor as being shipped on an 18-wheeler across the country.

I noticed several cruise programs were replayed this past week, including the ship remaking in drydock. I'd really like to see someone take on a "biography" of sorts of each major cruise line. It would include the company culture, ships, demographics, entertainment offered, itineraries, etc. Now that would be an informative series.

I agree with Keith that you learn much more here than in any TV program I've ever seen. So much experience shared on the board from insiders as well as very frequent cruisers. While I get impatient with the board's operational issues from time to time, I try to remind myself what a great asset is provided here for us.

I agree wholeheartedly. This is a great place! But I have to admit I was fascinated by the revamping of the Soveriegn of the Seas. Who out there ever thinks of all the ins and outs of getting a ship ready to sail? And I had no idea about the shakedown cruise. Of course it's so logical, but who would ever think????

I wish that somebody would do a show on the building of a new ship. I think that HAL is missing the boat! No pun intended. They should make a video of the building of each new ship and sell it in the gift shop of the ship. I for one would buy the video. Now a days with no more engine room and bridge tours it would be interesting. And I dont mean the video that is a Cruise Chronicle. The cruise chronicle usually includes an engine room tour, but it is stock footage and is the same from ship to ship. I want to see a video from keel laying to the finished product.

I agree a video of the building of each ship would be a great idea. We got the book that was published for the inagural year of the Westerdam when we were on board. It was somewhat informative but mostly ads.

A video chronicaling the construction of the ship from keel laying to shakedown cruise would be fascinating as well as a big seller in the ship's store IMO. I would love to have seen how they were able to get the Westrdam done on time after the fire that gutted the lido deck in the construction dock.

I've seen several shows on the Travel channel on cruising that were very well done, The serise on the Soverign of the Seas dry dock as well as one that followed one of the RCI ships on an Alaska cruise. I just felt the particular show in question was somewhat lacking.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't agree more with everyone, all the info. I need is right here on these boards. I do, however, like the visual. Therefore, if it runs again, I will try to catch it.

I also saw the dry dock series, or atleast most of it, and found it incredibly intriguing and informative.

While on RC Voyager of the Seas, a few years ago, they ran the building of the ship in our cabin, over and over and OVER! It was very interesting the first time but a bit annoying by the end of the cruise. They also had the video for sale. I would love to see the building of the Noordam. I am hoping they will run that on our Noordam cruise in April.

I did hear or read somewhere that The Travel Channel will be running a show/series on The QM2. I don't have any specifics though.

~Kelly

Did anyone see this show? It aired this weekend on The Travel Channel. Not sure if it was new or a rerun. Unfortunately, I missed most of it. Was it any good? Was there any valuable information?

~Kelly

It was a rerun.

I watched that show yesterday. I thought that it was a little boring, but that's just my opinion. It was intersting seeing part of the crew quarters though. There was also a show on the Queen Mary 2 on yesterday.

I checked the travel channel's website and there are a few cruise shows coming up:

September 20 at 9:30 am - Travel Cafe : Star Princess- Mexico

September 22 at 1:30 pm - Travel Cafe : Star Princess- Mexico

Septmeber 28 at 1:30 pm - Travel Cafe : Holland America: Alaska #1

September 30 at 9:30 am - Travel Cafe : Holland America: Alaksa #1

October 12 at 1:30 pm - Travel Cafe : Crusing to Paradise

October 14 at 9:30 am - Travel Cafe : Crusing to Paradise

October 24 at 1:30 pm - Travel Cafe : Crusing Canada

October 26 at 9:30 am - Travel Cafe : Crusing Canada

I'm not sure if these are new or not, but I'm looking forward to the Holland America one :)

Archived