Hurtigruten-bound - what to pack?

erinmarie424

Hi all, looking forward to a round trip on the Polarlys with my parents, uncle, cousin, and a family friend this September. I've been on several Carnival cruises and realize this one is going to be very different! The one thing I am still wondering about is what handy items I should think about bringing that might not already be on my cruise packing list. (I'm leaving the snorkel at home.). Obviously the clothes I need will be different, looking for things we might need to make sharing a smaller cabin more bearable or anything else that may not be obvious. Thanks for your help!!

I assume you are taking the Norwegian coastal trip? I did this on the MS Trollfjord.

You won't need any dress-up clothing. I wore the same clothing all day including for dinner. Dress is casual. Even jeans are acceptable in the dining room.

Be sure you have sturdy walking shoes for any shore excursions or just walking around ports. Sandals and flip flops will not be appropriate or protect your feet enough, and obviously high heels are out. Warm socks are a plus too. Bring a bathing suit and cover-up if you want to use the hot-tub (there are no robes in the cabins).

Even in September you should expect some cold weather when you are in the far north, and rain can occur any place along the route (Bergen gets a lot of rain). A warm waterproof jacket with a hood is a good idea. I went in May, and wore my long underwear under my sweatshirts and sweaters for some of the colder days. Warm gloves, a warm hat (I took a fleece stocking cap) and a neck scarf were very handy, especially when taking photos out on deck. In May it was snowing in Myrdal when I took the train from Bergen to Oslo at the end of my trip.

Toiletries in the cabin were minimal. Bring your own shampoo, lotion, etc. Chapstick is a good idea for spending time in the wind on deck.

I forgot my travel alarm, but there is wake-up service by phone from the front desk if you need it. I wished I had taken a nightlight too (I had an inside cabin).

You might find taking a hanging shoe bag handy for toiletries, although I thought the medicine cabinet in my cabin was quite spacious compared to those on some cruise ships.

Splinter advice is very sound (although there is no hot tub on MS Polarlys, so no need for swimsuit).

You can also bring liner glover (silk ones for instance) to keep your hand warms while still being able to take pictures.

Also a converter for electricity (sockets on board are European type : two round sockets) and maybe a multiple socket if you have many items to charge at the same time. There are not a lot of sockets in the cabin. Only one will work all the time, the others work only when you put your cabin key card in an allocated slot (hint : actually, any piece of rectangular plastic will work, so they still can function when you leave the cabin).

Make sure also that your waterproof jacket has good windproof hability (there can be wind, which may bring the feeling of cold) and ideally is breathable.

Binoculars can be handy.

I have done this trip several times included one time last September. Here is my travel report for this trip : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2014/09/bergen-depart-inattendu.html (text both in French and English, then click on "message plus récent" at the bottom of the page for the following days).

Thanks for the responses! I think I am on the right track with clothes and outerwear. Layers, waterproof outerwear, and good walking shoes. I will also bring my over the door shoe holder but it is good to know there is a medicine cabinet. Am I correct that there are no drawers in the desk/vanity area? I've seen the cubbies in pictures and am thinking some of those little cloth organizers might be helpful in corralling all the items I usually put in the drawers. Any idea how wide the ledges are above the bed and sofa? I'm thinking maybe the narrow organizers would fit there and I could use a couple of magnets to keep them from sliding around.

I'd read that about Chapstick somewhere else too.... I'm putting together little gift bags for everyone and already got Norwegian formula lip balm and hand cream (for obvious reasons [emoji18]) as well as a couple other little items. Thanks for the info on the #of outlets, I guess that one did not surprise me, but good to have confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...