Missing the ship

John Heald was actually on our sailing for a Q & A. He explained that the ship's security removed their passports from the safe and left them in Roatan with authorities. They were able to reboard the ship in Grand Cayman. I'm sure this was an expensive process. Cell phones reset times automatically - so everyone needs to understand "ship time" and "local time".

John Heald was actually on our sailing for a Q & A. He explained that the ship's security removed their passports from the safe and left them in Roatan with authorities. They were able to reboard the ship in Grand Cayman. I'm sure this was an expensive process. Cell phones reset times automatically - so everyone needs to understand "ship time" and "local time".

He said that flights were $700, not sure if that was per person or total.

Cell phones reset times automatically - so everyone needs to understand "ship time" and "local time".

Are you saying that cell phones automatically reset to the country you are in? We always use old fashion watches, after double checking that we have the same time as the ship. I never thought about this, because we always come back hours early.

Are you saying that cell phones automatically reset to the country you are in? We always use old fashion watches, after double checking that we have the same time as the ship. I never thought about this, because we always come back hours early.

Yes,your phone will always try to connect with the nearest cell tower and adjust the time accordingly.

Edited by AdrenalineRush

I have a cruise ritual. Every night or morning after sailing I visit the Fun Shops. They have a table full of cheap digital watches for $9.00. I pick up the brightest, gaudiest plastic watch and set it to ship time. They are water resistent so work fine with the occasional dip or snorkel. They look so cheap no chance of being mugged in port. It is part of my cruise-look, I'll even wear it on Cruise Elegant night. It is nice to know no matter the port or time zone, I've got ship time on my wrist.

Yes,your phone will always try to connect with the nearest cell tower and adjust the time accordingly.

I don't use my phone on cruises, but I disable automatic time zone changes on my iPhone. It might just save a tiny bit of battery not checking and I don't switch time zones often, when I do I manually update.

ImageUploadedByForums1436796893.835364.jpg.8cf9580bc723c8412fa685d3137329ac.jpg

Normally I keep my cell phone on airplane mode as I do not have international service. It stays on local time until I remove airplane mode. Additionally most cell phones allow one to turn off automatic time adjustment in which case I adjust the phone to match ship time as needed.

At the beginning of every cruise I set my cell to NOT update automatically. With more ships adding on board apps for schedules I find my phone is with me most if the time now (albeit in plane mode with wifi on so I don't get hit with an international charge if someone calls). I'm also used to using my phone as a clock. I can't wear watches at work for safety reasons so I got used to checking time on my phone.

Edited by Wolfhunt

I don't use my phone on cruises, but I disable automatic time zone changes on my iPhone. It might just save a tiny bit of battery not checking and I don't switch time zones often, when I do I manually update.

[ATTACH]355932[/ATTACH]

Normally I keep my cell phone on airplane mode as I do not have international service. It stays on local time until I remove airplane mode. Additionally most cell phones allow one to turn off automatic time adjustment in which case I adjust the phone to match ship time as needed.

Correct, there are ways to avoid it,but outside of adjusting the settings, your phone will try to connect with the local cell towers.

My buddy Big Steve got hammered and fell asleep in Jamaica. I don't think he was just drinking that day.....

Anyways, woke up, sunburnt as heck, missed the ship.

He called up an old girlfriend and stayed there for a week and flew home. Don't remember the particulars of how he did it.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I have a cruise ritual. Every night or morning after sailing I visit the Fun Shops. They have a table full of cheap digital watches for $9.00. I pick up the brightest, gaudiest plastic watch and set it to ship time. They are water resistent so work fine with the occasional dip or snorkel. They look so cheap no chance of being mugged in port. It is part of my cruise-look, I'll even wear it on Cruise Elegant night. It is nice to know no matter the port or time zone, I've got ship time on my wrist.

Good idea!

Actually, cell phones only reset if cell service is turned on. Keep the phone in "Airplane" mode (no cell service) and the phone won't reset.