First evening - Waikiki

ekajun1957

We arrive in Honolulu late sept for 3 nights. Can you give me some must do's as we board our cruise Oct 2. Thanks :)

Aloha Keeki :D

OK! 1st things 1st. In Hawaii, there are no "must do's", but many "want to do's"! In order to make suggestions (and remember these are suggestions and recommendations), I need more information, like what are you like and what do you like to do.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, we are going on our 3rd cruise in Sept. Over the years, we have learned that we do not like to rush around trying to do everything there is to do when we are on vacation. We've taken the Alaska to Vancouver cruise tour and gone on the shore excursions and circled Hokkaido and gone on the shore excursions. We've flown to Europe and toured by train, flown to NYC and driven to Maine (won't do that again, driving that is), visited Florida, Yellowstone Nat'l, etc., get the picture? All over the U.S. and now we know that we really have no "must do's" when we travel, but several "want to do's" or "might do's". Heck we're paying for it. Personally I like to see what the people in the different places do and eat where we travel.

Okay so far? My wife and I have figured out what we like to do and plan accordingly. Personally, we worked for our livings so we watch how we spend, but don't scrimp and scrape when we're on vacation (that's for at home to save for the next vacation), because we figure we can't enjoy the vaca if we're worried about running out of money or running up the charge cards.

When I decide I want to just relax here at home, I drive around and just stop and look at what I find interesting or stop to eat something I think might be interesting. We have food from all different cultures around the world, so if you're a foodie, tell me.

The more information you provide, the better I can figure out what to suggest. I have hung out with some crazy Aussies that like to drink (and boy could they drink) that strong Australian and NZ beer (I don't drink like that anymore), so I won't tell you where the best places to drink are.

Do you have any physical limitations? Are you independently wealthy? So what do you like to do? Visit historical sites? Hike? Snorkel (Gold Coast, Australia)? Eat? Shop? Drive & explore?

I'll look forward to hearing from you. If you don't want to post your specifics on the message board, let me know and I'll give you my email address. Ball's in your court now!

Aloha :D

• 3 weeks later...
Check your location on a Waikiki hotel maps locator to see where you are in relation to the very upscale Halekulani Hotel. Very likely it is only a short walk down the beach or street. There is bar/restaurant located beachfront there called the House Without A Key. It is covered Lanai or lawn seating under a huge tree with views of the beach and Diamond Head. Beginning at 5:30 there is live Hawaiian music under the tree accompanied by Hula dancers who are former Miss Hawaii's. This is a very popular activity and no reservations, no cover charges, come early. The lawn tables are tiny, but we only had drinks and appys. You might want to sit on the Lanai if you plan to order meals. You can find reviews on Trip Advisor and you will find it mentioned here often. Definately puts you in the Hawaii mood.

Absolutely love the Halekulani Hotel and the music, hula dancing and pupu's (appetizers). We visit them every time we go to Hawaii. The view of Waikiki Beach is the best at this location, and is not to be missed!!