Manhattan to Red Hook

cruiseluvva

We are considering a late booking of an East bound TA in August, having only done roundtrips before. Being a late deal there is no option to book a hotel through Cunard pre-voyage, so must book our own and we'll be also be using VA miles to fly.

I know everyone used to say the cab drivers had no idea where Red Hook was, is this still the case and if so, what is the best way to get there?

Also can anyone recommend a reasonably comfortable, clean , well placed hotel that won't bankrupt us totally please?

The Brooklyn marriot is a good hotel. Located at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge which is a good location. I would ask the hotel your staying at to google directions/maps to the dock. I would think most drivers know the cruise terminal but I would rather be safe then sorry.

Thank you for the suggestion, although I was thinking of somewhere nearer Times Square, The Rockerfeller or that sort of area.

Is the Waldorf Astoria any good these days?

Edited by cruiseluvva

Thank you for the suggestion, although I was thinking of somewhere nearer Times Square, The Rockerfeller or that sort of area.

Is the Waldorf Astoria any good these days?

The Waldorf is superb - but very pricey and not near Times Square. Hotel Pennsylvania -across from Penn Station at 34th Street - about $200 is near Times Square,

a great old landmark hotel - The Roosevelt at Madison and 45th is convenient and in a good neighborhood - also about $200.

Hi,

If you decide to stay in Manhattan, I suggest that you use a car service NOT UBER with a fixed rate to take you to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal;there are two large firms that one sees a lot on arrival and departure days-CARMEL and Dial 7.Yellow cabs are metered but if the driver or you don’t know the shortest route,; you are at a disadvantage. ;)

I have not stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania but it gets terrible reviews and the Tripadvisor New York forum often recommend avoiding it. I have visited the Waldorf Astoria and the public areas are lovely but the bedrooms apparently are needing some attention.

I do have personal experience of staying at The Conrad in Battery Park City which is well placed for access to Red Hook/Brooklyn. Every room is a suite so very spacious and well priced when compared to some of the smaller boutique properties available.