Do you consider 'A La Carte' Specialty Dining as more nickel and diming by Del Rio?

fstuff1

More nickel and diming?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. More nickel and diming?

• Yes
    • No

For the record, I would also consider myself a foodie, and that is the reason why we don't bother with the upcharge restaurants. The quality is not that great - not drastically different than the MDRs.

On our last NCL cruise, we decided to do some research and spend those discretionary dining dollars on excellent meals at our port cities. Those were AWESOME experiences and AMAZING food! A much better way to have a great culinary experience on a cruise trip than forking over extra cash for a not-really-that-great upcharge restaurant on board.

Yep. Part of the reason why the UDP (and, to a certain extent, the UBP) didn't make any sense for us is that we tend to eat in port to the extent possible. Plus, on our last 2 cruises, we often didn't feel like a lengthy meal in the MDR or a Specialty after a long day in port and would just grab something quick from the buffet/pizza/etc.

Edited by Cauzneffct

I agree with this. They are charging the same price as comparable land restaurants, except the problem is we've already paid for room and board as part of our ticket price, so you're in effect double paying for dinner and the true price of the specialty dining is much higher than it appears to be, way more expensive than comparable restaurants at land based resorts when you factor in that you've already paid for board. I just can't imagine a couple will go out and have a nearly $100 steakhouse dinner at Cagneys when they could be eating for free in the MDR, but I guess time will tell.

This!

If it wasn't for the fact that we are booked as a large group for my wedding and I am tied to a specific date I would have changed lines at this point. I am a planner and I don't like my financial plan constantly being changed. We were planning on treating the group to a dinner at Cagney's so this has a significant impact for us personally.