Jade vs Star in Dec

taylortime05

Hi,

We have 7 night western cruise booked on Jade leaving Houston in Dec. This is my first cruise on NCL. I've cruised twice on RCCL on Allure & Oasis. My reason for picking the Jade was the incredible low price. It will be just me and my husband.

I was looking at NCL website and saw that the Star is about 100 more per person.

The only reason I am considering switching to the Star is because it has 4 ports, it has been refurbished this year and I think the port of Tampa is easier to get to from the airport than Houston.

Can you give pros, cons or other differences between the 2 ships.

Thank you so much.

Sue:)

Edited by taylortime05

Jade is several years younger than Star and the whole Jewel class (Jade) is an slightly improved version of Dawn class (Star).

Already two drydocks ago Star lost the Spinnaker Lounge on deck 12 fwd (that Jade still has on deck 13) to suites and the lounge was moved to an almost windowless cave on deck 7. Jade also has the outdoor buffet, Great Outdoors, on deck 12 aft - it is a really nice place for eating breakfast and lunch.

If you are making the decision based on ship, Jade would win hands down but if the ports are more important, Star is a really nice ship too.

Edited by Demonyte

The Jade for sure. We have traveled both. The Star lost the Spinnaker lounge. It was a nice place for viewing if the weather was bad. The outdoor eating for meals is great the dinning room fills pretty fast especially in the mornings. They also have burgers a lunch time at the outdoor café.

Thank you for all the responses.

I think I will stay with the Jade. I am happy with the 3 ports. I have only been to Cozumel once. I have not been to Belize or Roatan.

Based on my research so far it is going to cost approx. 150 - 200 in extra costs getting from IAH airport to the Port of Houston. I've been on 2 cruises with RCCL out of Ft. Lauderdale and the airport is super close to the port with all kinds of hotels around. Not a big deal though.

Can't wait for December. :)

Thank you for all the responses.

I think I will stay with the Jade. I am happy with the 3 ports. I have only been to Cozumel once. I have not been to Belize or Roatan.

Based on my research so far it is going to cost approx. 150 - 200 in extra costs getting from IAH airport to the Port of Houston. I've been on 2 cruises with RCCL out of Ft. Lauderdale and the airport is super close to the port with all kinds of hotels around. Not a big deal though.

Can't wait for December. :)

Can you get a flight into Houston Hobby Airport? It is closer to the pier so the transfer costs are less. Southwest, American and Delta fly into Hobby.

Can you get a flight into Houston Hobby Airport? It is closer to the pier so the transfer costs are less. Southwest, American and Delta fly into Hobby.

Spirit was the cheapest at 160 RT and they only fly into IAH. They are straight thru flight. But they went up to 180 and they charge for carry on and checked bags so now I am considering Southwest. Southwest allows 2 free checked bags and they fly into Hobby but they do have 1 stop.

We've been on the Jade four times. It's kind of a Goldilocks thing for me...not too big, not too small, just right.

We've also been on the Star and had a great time, too.

The Jade is a newer ship but I'd choose based on price, convenience, and itinerary as both are fine.

• 4 weeks later...