Sea Sick Advice

missmetal

These last few posts above are the reason I recommend starting with half doses twice a day of the non-drowsy bonine. It's a gentle way of getting the medication into your system, and you can see how you respond to it. By the time you get on the ship you will have become adjusted to it over a day or two.

I know a poster on this board who starts taking her bonine a week before she sails. I take it before I get on the airplane (it's good for air sickness, too).

I was on a Princess cruise with the patch on and threw up all night long. Didn't work for me. Also made my eyes blurry. Bonine and ginger do the trick so I'll stick to them. Do have to start a day or two before the cruise. Tried ginger (ginger root, 500 mg) before going on a 32 foot yacht once but got sick. Probably cause I only took it an hour before. Been on many cruises with my solution. Might get slightly queasy the first night but nothing bad unless I'm dumb enough to unpack while the ship is moving. Gotta keep that head straight. Unpack before sailing or only a little if it is nighttime. Much better to unpack when I can see the horizon. Been lucky that I've never had my bags show up late when I've had an inside cabin.