Zuiderdam review June 30 - July 11

aamechs2

We just got off the zuiderdam today (same cruise as Terri and German Giant) and we had a great time. It was our first HAl cruise and we were really impressed. I think the Zuiderdam actually looks really nice, the food is very good (in the Lido, MDR and Pinnacle Grill) and our cabin was fine. Most of the crew is friendly. Things we didn't like so much: service in the MDR is really fast, we like to enjoy our food, have some wine and talk, but in less than an hour our 3 courses were served, so at 9 pm we already left the restaurant. For me it was rather chilly in the public spaces. I don't like the big difference in temperature outside-inside. And more entertainment on deck would be nice. One night the band played a couple of hours on deck in the evening and that was great. And it's true that we had to wait a few times for a drink, but that didn't bother me. as I said, it was a nice ship and we would consider sailing on the Zuiderdam again!

As of today Captain Chris Turner and HD Frank Ulbricbht left the ship.

New Captain is Joroen Nicolaas Van Donselaar and HD is Boban Zivkovic

CD Michael Headla has not changed.

A lot of new crew embarked in Split, Croatia.

Only a little over 200 passengers continued on past Venice. Almost all new passengers for next 11 days.

Terri

Terri, have a nice second part of the cruise! I'm sorry we've missed you the first day. We really slept late and even missed breakfast... :( The trip to civitavecchia was not easy (poblems with the trains) and we were exhausted!

We just got off the zuiderdam today (same cruise as Terri and German Giant) and we had a great time. It was our first HAl cruise and we were really impressed. I think the Zuiderdam actually looks really nice, the food is very good (in the Lido, MDR and Pinnacle Grill) and our cabin was fine. Most of the crew is friendly. Things we didn't like so much: service in the MDR is really fast, we like to enjoy our food, have some wine and talk, but in less than an hour our 3 courses were served, so at 9 pm we already left the restaurant. For me it was rather chilly in the public spaces. I don't like the big difference in temperature outside-inside. And more entertainment on deck would be nice. One night the band played a couple of hours on deck in the evening and that was great. And it's true that we had to wait a few times for a drink, but that didn't bother me. as I said, it was a nice ship and we would consider sailing on the Zuiderdam again!

Thank You, nice to read that....

Which cruiseline's did you travel bevore?

Edited by muenchner

Seems that on the most frequented place on the ship, the aft-pool, a munity of the passengers is growing up. They sent the very few staff-members doing a great job, away for the whole afternoon and evening. Now it is again "may I stick on you?" instead of "may I join you?"

On the other hand I have to say, that the healthy policy of Holland America is unique in the whole world. I've never seen similar before, wether on sea not on shore.

This healthy policy is really great.

All chairs in the one and only smoking area are occupied all the time, no way for a smoker to get a seat. Ashtrays are only on each second table, about 12 for the whole ship and if a smoker asks for one, he get the answer: "sorry, all occupied at the moment". So they help you in a very strong way to give up smoking, not to say they force you to

All bars are closing at about 12:00 pm, except the nightclub and doesn't matter if there are 40 people still sitting.

In the NIGHTclub they stop the music and drop you out at 01:00 am, telling you that the guests on the ship want to sleep now. For me this absoluteley unbelievable on a mediterranian cruise in the highest season on a mid-size ship. Especially because the average age on this cruise is the youngest of all my cruises, would like to say about 50.

When I'll be back home, I'll ask my travel agent how he can sell me Holland America without any warning, that Holland America forces their customers to go to bed at latest 01:00 am? I'd wether booked a youth hostel nor a nursing home!

They take also care of you, that you don't drink too much, by simply ignoring you if you want to order something. Unfortunateley also for sodas, juices and mocktails while lemonade runned out all the time, so that you are forced to drink only the chloridical water. But this is healthy and they also take care that you don't drink too much of, at the MDR open seatings by let you wait half an hour for any refill, at the lido by offering only 5oz glasses.

This healthy-policy saves you a lot of money, when it is so hard to get any drink and when you're send to bed at 1am every day. It's a completely new experience for me that a cruiseline isn't interested in my money, feels very nice, although all people are only talking about better choosing Princess or Celebrity for their next cruise (this is a little bit nerving). Only as a shareholder this must appear to you as a nightmare, when Holland America does everything to keep their turnover as low as possible

I'd never posted anything in the internet about my past cruises and vacations, but what I actually experience onboard Holland America, all people should know what sort of vacation they choose by purchaising Holland America, because I would have had never booked Holland America if I would have known what is upcoming to me.

This was Udo, live from the aft deck of the Zuiderdam

There are a lot more children on this part of the cruise. We are in a Neptune Suite and this is the first time that I have ever experienced so much noise in the Pinnacle Grille for breakfast. It was not the usual pleasant experience.

So far (this is only the second day of the second half) I have noticed no difference, but have not gone looking for any either. It is a sea day. Tomorrow our port is Katakalon. We have a private driver arranged. Since we have been to Olympia twice we have decided we do not wish to see those rocks again:D.

As I said. I will do a review when I return from Rome after August 9.

Meanwhile, I will keep contributing to this thread.

Terri

I think the Zuiderdam actually looks really nice, the food is very good (in the Lido, MDR and Pinnacle Grill) and our cabin was fine. Most of the crew is friendly.

I fully agree and never posted anythimg else!

The service in the MDR seems to depend from if you've choosen traditional seating with the same waiter for the whole cruise (most people are fully satisfied with the service) or anytime (most people are critizing the service).

Very grateful to all of you who have continued to post. We've sailed HAL in recent years and had a mostly good experience but never sailed the Zuiderdam. We equally cruise on Celebrity fairly often these days (and have sailed on many other lines together over the past 35+ years.)

I'm especially disturbed at reports of cabin stewards being slow to handle the twice daily routine service, since I've experienced this on Celebrity but not HAL. Have there been more cutbacks in the number of staff? Or based on all the families mentioned, do you think there are many more 3rd/4th passengers in staterooms for these Med cruises, taking up more service time?

The strong suit for HAL to me has always been the friendly, professional service of the crew for staterooms and dining room.

While on board our last cruise, we booked the Zuiderdam for 10 days next April and later upgraded to a small suite. Now I am wondering if we should look elsewhere. And as a stockholder as well, hate to hear negative reports.

Seems that on the most frequented place on the ship, the aft-pool, a munity of the passengers is growing up. They sent the very few staff-members doing a great job, away for the whole afternoon and evening. Now it is again "may I stick on you?" instead of "may I join you?"

On the other hand I have to say, that the healthy policy of Holland America is unique in the whole world. I've never seen similar before, wether on sea not on shore.

This healthy policy is really great.

All chairs in the one and only smoking area are occupied all the time, no way for a smoker to get a seat. Ashtrays are only on each second table, about 12 for the whole ship and if a smoker asks for one, he get the answer: "sorry, all occupied at the moment". So they help you in a very strong way to give up smoking, not to say they force you to

All bars are closing at about 12:00 pm, except the nightclub and doesn't matter if there are 40 people still sitting.

In the NIGHTclub they stop the music and drop you out at 01:00 am, telling you that the guests on the ship want to sleep now. For me this absoluteley unbelievable on a mediterranian cruise in the highest season on a mid-size ship. Especially because the average age on this cruise is the youngest of all my cruises, would like to say about 50.

When I'll be back home, I'll ask my travel agent how he can sell me Holland America without any warning, that Holland America forces their customers to go to bed at latest 01:00 am? I'd wether booked a youth hostel nor a nursing home!

They take also care of you, that you don't drink too much, by simply ignoring you if you want to order something. Unfortunateley also for sodas, juices and mocktails while lemonade runned out all the time, so that you are forced to drink only the chloridical water. But this is healthy and they also take care that you don't drink too much of, at the MDR open seatings by let you wait half an hour for any refill, at the lido by offering only 5oz glasses.

This healthy-policy saves you a lot of money, when it is so hard to get any drink and when you're send to bed at 1am every day. It's a completely new experience for me that a cruiseline isn't interested in my money, feels very nice, although all people are only talking about better choosing Princess or Celebrity for their next cruise (this is a little bit nerving). Only as a shareholder this must appear to you as a nightmare, when Holland America does everything to keep their turnover as low as possible

I'd never posted anything in the internet about my past cruises and vacations, but what I actually experience onboard Holland America, all people should know what sort of vacation they choose by purchaising Holland America, because I would have had never booked Holland America if I would have known what is upcoming to me.

This was Udo, live from the aft deck of the Zuiderdam

Udo,

I know we are on the same ship. However I am not a smoker so right off the bat I am not having the ashtray problem you are describing. Secondly, the lido is not my favorite place so I avoid it like the plague. I only go there when absolutely necessary.

My DH and I are not night owls and don't spend a lot of time in nightclubs so I guess we would not complain about that either. We are usually sleeping by 1 am.

As for drinks, we really don't drink that much, so HAL never made a lot of money on us in the first place.

I do agree that they should not run out of iced tea or lemonade since we are experiencing very hot and humid weather on this trip.

HAL is not known for it's non-stop nightlife and maybe you do need to bring this up with your travel agent. I know you are from Germany and maybe your travel agent is not totally aware of this.

On another note, it was nice to meet you.

Happy sailing for the rest of the cruise.

We are enjoying the ship and finding that the services are adequate on this cruise. We have had better service, however considering the number of large families and many children, the MDR stewards are really stressed to provide service any faster than they are.

Terri

HAL is not known for it's non-stop nightlife

I've had knewn that and also not searched for a partyship. But I think there is a big difference between a non stop nightlife liner and closing the last bar at 1 am, even when you are sitting there with 10 people and having a nice time.

By the way: I can confirm all the others that the cabin - service takes up to the afternoon, but I don't care about, because on the most days we're onshore untill 4 pm and if we return earlier, I don't need a maked bed for a shower and dressing up to go on deck.

In fairness to German Giant, I think most people from Europe would expect at least some bars to be open past 1 am, especially if there are a number of people there. I am surprised about the nightclub, Northern Lights, also closing at 1 with so many people there, as we have gone later than that in there. I guess it all depends on the CD.

Just a hint if you are an early riser.

I am an early riser and usually am out of the cabin by 6:30, going to Lido for coffee and maybe conversation with other early risers, followed by breakfast, unless I am going to go ashore before 9am. I tell my cabin stewards this (by a note). Knowing this they usually do my cabin the first thing on duty and we all are happy. If I plan to sleep in or work in the cabin, I put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign.

Works just fine almost 100% of the time.

Edited by wander

We only sailed one time on an MSC schip before this cruise, so maybe we have lower expectations than the more experienced cruisers here! :-) There were so many nice things, like the comfy bed, the library, the Dive Inn, the food (we had fixed seating at 8 pm by the way), that little 'problems' (like a beach towel that wasn't replaced, or an unfriendly bartender once) didn't bother us.

I do admit we were surprised by an early 'last called' in one of the bars once, but most evenings we would go to bed between 11 pm and midnight and was it no problem to get a drink.

cruisinteach - it is the kids responsibility BUT on an 11 night cruise, how much you're spending can get away from you! It has happened to my husband and I but of course we just paid it. We have sailed on lots of other cruise lines and each was able to set a limit on the kids cards. And of course my well behaved teenagers, whom we received numerous compliments on, did fine with not overspending and would've faced consequences had they gone over. But we are not independently wealthy and they are not old enough to have jobs SO any overspending would come out of my pocket.

HAL is part of CCL and we have sailed on both Carnival and Princess (which are part of CCL) and they were able to set limits, so obviously it's not difficult but just one of the many things, like a phone that hangs up when you call the front desk, that HAL needs to address. Being able to set a limit makes for a much more worry free cruise for both the kids and I.

If HAL wants to become a "younger" crowd cruiseline as I was told on the ship, then little things like that matter. I was just mentioning some of the things that bugged me. Sigh, I am always amazed at the responses on CC and that's why I rarely post a review. Feel free to NOT read my post if you'd like. I was not asking for parenting advice, merely reviewing our cruise.

The fact that the front desk told us it was no problem and then 4 days later we discovered that it was in fact not something that they could do!! So the first lady just flat out lied to us. If they told us that from the start, then we would have made the kids aware of it and they would be careful. Had we not rechecked, we and the kids, would've thought that there was a limit set!!

Those of you who are HAL loyalists and don't want to hear a disparging word about HAL, should not read these posts! We cruise alot and I have never seen so many issues on a ship. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've even called a front desk on all of our other cruises. We are not at all picky or I would have gone into the 45 minute wait 1 night to even get bread, or the horrible bar service at the pool to get a coke off the soda card and the fact that yes, the Lido buffet was always out of lemonade! But I tried to limit it to stuff that could possibly be fixed if HAL wants to fix it and to give other parents a heads up so they don't have the same issue with the card and being lied to.

cruisinteach - it is the kids responsibility BUT on an 11 night cruise, how much you're spending can get away from you! It has happened to my husband and I but of course we just paid it. We have sailed on lots of other cruise lines and each was able to set a limit on the kids cards. And of course my well behaved teenagers, whom we received numerous compliments on, did fine with not overspending and would've faced consequences had they gone over. But we are not independently wealthy and they are not old enough to have jobs SO any overspending would come out of my pocket.

HAL is part of CCL and we have sailed on both Carnival and Princess (which are part of CCL) and they were able to set limits, so obviously it's not difficult but just one of the many things, like a phone that hangs up when you call the front desk, that HAL needs to address. Being able to set a limit makes for a much more worry free cruise for both the kids and I.

If HAL wants to become a "younger" crowd cruiseline as I was told on the ship, then little things like that matter. I was just mentioning some of the things that bugged me. Sigh, I am always amazed at the responses on CC and that's why I rarely post a review. Feel free to NOT read my post if you'd like. I was not asking for parenting advice, merely reviewing our cruise.

I don't think we had the pleasure of meeting your twins on the June 30 cruise but I am not at all surprised that you received compliments about their behaviour,

We commented how wonderful it was to sail with so many teenagers and younger ones because they were so lovely and did not bother anyone.

We had a great time on Zuiderdam but there were some niggles similar to those you mentioned but because they had been so nice to us by upgrading us when we had our plumbing issues we chose to shrug them off.

HAL is not my cruise line of choice but I would happily sail with them again, although possibly on a newer ship

Update: Cabin service has changed and now the first service is when we are on breakfast, perfect. Aft-deck service is worse at it was, at anytime when neither Jennifer nor Alpe is present (last evening for example was only self service at the sea view bar after Alpe left at about 8:30pm, but all tables were occupied untill 11pm. What a waste of turnover!), but meanwhile one of them is more often there, so it seems to become better.

Seems that the new Hotel Director is making a good job and trys to improve the grievances.

Edited by German Giant