Explorer of the Seas review 29th June 15, 13 nights Western Med cruise.

Thanks so much for the reviews, really enjoying reading them as we are going on 23 August. Like you we nearly cancelled (due to my father being diagnosed with cancer) so things have been a bit fraught. Happily he's recovered well from his surgery and god willing we will all be able to enjoy a much anticipated holiday. We are in Promenade View Cabins on decks 7 & 8 having thought them good value on Voyager a few years ago, glad you enjoyed them too.

Things come at you from all sides, its ever so stressful. I hope you get to enjoy your holiday. The promenade cabins were lovely. Much better than I expected being a balcony person.

Thank you so much for your review so far. I'm on explorer on 26th. It's our first cruise. Just hope it lives up to expectation. Thanks for info re validating tickets on train at villefranche.

You will love it. But I'm warning you now it is very addictive and I'm sure it won't be your last cruise.

I spent nearly 20 years trying to get my hubby on a ship. I finally succeeded, he gave in and we went on Indy in Oct 12. It was in his mind supposed to tick a box, appease me and that would be that.

After 3 days on Indy he asked why I'd not tried harder to get him on board years before - ahhhh.

We've just completed our 3rd and have 3 booked for next year!! Well and truly addicted!

PS the train service from Villefranche is really easy. I was worried about it being a bit daunting but it was easy.

Thank you so much. We are the other way around. My husband has been keen to cruise but I'm not keen on boats or water.....so I'm a little bit anxious. Especially about feeling seasick.

We also plan to get a train from Cadiz to Jerez to watch the Spanish horses. Need to be on the ball for that one as it is a finely tuned return journey....don't want to miss the boat.

Karen

Great review and some lovely photos.

My 16 year old daughter is a coeliac. Where there plenty of options for you on board?

I read somewhere that in the MDR you can order your food 24 hours in advance if you have specific dietary requirements. Did you do this?

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Chris

Please can I check with you regarding currency for Gibraltar? I know that they accept English currency and Gibraltar pounds but do they easily accept euros too? Did you pay for your trip up the rock in Euros?

Thanks

Thank you so much. We are the other way around. My husband has been keen to cruise but I'm not keen on boats or water.....so I'm a little bit anxious. Especially about feeling seasick.

We also plan to get a train from Cadiz to Jerez to watch the Spanish horses. Need to be on the ball for that one as it is a finely tuned return journey....don't want to miss the boat.

Karen

Hi Karen

Buy some sturgeron or similar from your local chemist for the sea sickness. My husband does suffer but he's learned to take it as a prevention rather than a cure.

Crossing the Bay of Biscay you just never know what you are going to get. So be prepared and you will be fine.

Keep reading there is loads to come on Jerez and also photos of the riding school. You are right in saying that it is a very short window to get out and back to the train. Keep reading and you'll see what we did x

Please can I check with you regarding currency for Gibraltar? I know that they accept English currency and Gibraltar pounds but do they easily accept euros too? Did you pay for your trip up the rock in Euros?

Thanks

Hi You can use Euros in Gib but your exchange rate won't be as good. They much prefer pounds - theirs or ours. We took ours.

My eldest daughter didn't get round to sorting her currency before we left so she actually bought her Euro's in GIB and the exchange rate was better than I'd gotten from the Post Office here.

We paid for our rock trip in pounds. It was £12pp for the tour and then £10pp for the entry to the sites. They pay it all up front and then you pay them at the end. It was excellent and I'd strongly recommend it. They will be there literally as you walk out of the terminal with their "Official tour" leaflets.

They also offer a longer tour that also takes in Moorish Castle, 100 ton gun and Europa point which is £30pp including the entry fees. But as we had other things we wanted to see in Gib, we just went for the shorter tour.

Great review and some lovely photos.

My 16 year old daughter is a coeliac. Where there plenty of options for you on board?

I read somewhere that in the MDR you can order your food 24 hours in advance if you have specific dietary requirements. Did you do this?

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Chris

Hi Chris

She will be fine and well looked after. Just let your waiter know on the first night in the MDR, the menu shows a little symbol of a cereal grain for everything that can be offered as Gluten free. The first opportunity you will have to tell them is when they offer your daughter bread as soon as you are seated. You can then explain and they will bring her gf bread and it is lovely!!

At the end of the first night they will give her the menu for the following evening. Then she can choose something with the symbol or she can chat with them and they will try to make non symbol items gf if possible.

The only thing I've ever flommoxed an RCI chef on was asking for pastry, as thats tricky gf.

The best I've eaten since my diagnosis is on RCI ships.

To be honest the chef on Explorer did get a bit lazy with me and offered me the same dessert every night. But I liked it so I only protested and asked for a change once or twice lol.

There was only the slight hitch I mentioned the first night, when clearly no thought had gone into it and I got salmon and a jacket potato - literally.

Your head waiter will normally take over the pre order of food. One night I couldn't make my mind up between the gf sea food and pasta dish or the palenta dish. Our head waiter said he could ask for something to be created from the two.

It some how got lost in translation and the picture below shows what I ended up with. Somewhat ridiculous and a waste of food as I couldn't eat it all but they tried so I laughed.

Some nights I had two desserts haha.

Our first cruise we did I stuck to Windjammer for the first few nights as I thought I'd be safer with what I could see myself. But then we tried MDR and never looked back.

She can get gf bread toasted in Windjammer. There is always a gf dessert option in Windjammer and cafe promenade. Cafe promenade have the most gorgeous gf chocolate chip cookies. Tell Aviv and Joe I sent you!! They aren't on display you have to ask for them at the counter. Aviv gave me 4 on the last night haha.

Cafe prom will also do you gf cheese pizza which is lush and you'd never know it was gf.

Also stick around to hear about our Gionvanni's experience.

SAM_2561_zpsdjlv70qt.jpg

Hi Chris

She will be fine and well looked after. Just let your waiter know on the first night in the MDR, the menu shows a little symbol of a cereal grain for everything that can be offered as Gluten free. The first opportunity you will have to tell them is when they offer your daughter bread as soon as you are seated. You can then explain and they will bring her gf bread and it is lovely!!

At the end of the first night they will give her the menu for the following evening. Then she can choose something with the symbol or she can chat with them and they will try to make non symbol items gf if possible.

The only thing I've ever flommoxed an RCI chef on was asking for pastry, as thats tricky gf.

The best I've eaten since my diagnosis is on RCI ships.

To be honest the chef on Explorer did get a bit lazy with me and offered me the same dessert every night. But I liked it so I only protested and asked for a change once or twice lol.

There was only the slight hitch I mentioned the first night, when clearly no thought had gone into it and I got salmon and a jacket potato - literally.

Your head waiter will normally take over the pre order of food. One night I couldn't make my mind up between the gf sea food and pasta dish or the palenta dish. Our head waiter said he could ask for something to be created from the two.

It some how got lost in translation and the picture below shows what I ended up with. Somewhat ridiculous and a waste of food as I couldn't eat it all but they tried so I laughed.

Some nights I had two desserts haha.

Our first cruise we did I stuck to Windjammer for the first few nights as I thought I'd be safer with what I could see myself. But then we tried MDR and never looked back.

She can get gf bread toasted in Windjammer. There is always a gf dessert option in Windjammer and cafe promenade. Cafe promenade have the most gorgeous gf chocolate chip cookies. Tell Aviv and Joe I sent you!! They aren't on display you have to ask for them at the counter. Aviv gave me 4 on the last night haha.

Cafe prom will also do you gf cheese pizza which is lush and you'd never know it was gf.

Also stick around to hear about our Gionvanni's experience.

SAM_2561_zpsdjlv70qt.jpg

Thank you for such a detailed response. It sounds as if my daughter will have plenty of options to choose from.

Chris

6th July; Toulon

Toulon was the only day that we didn’t have anything planned. We didn’t fancy doing an excursion and even considered staying on the ship, but that seemed a waste. So we decided to just get off and see where we ended up.

We had breakfast in the MDR on deck 3, which was civilised and peaceful. It was a hot and cold buffet. We saw Michael our waiter so he said a friendly hello.

RCI docks in Le Seyne sur Mer on the opposite side of the harbour to Toulon itself.

We had thought about getting a taxi to Bandol to go to the beach but a return taxi was E70 and as we were getting off Mike told us that Toulon itself had a nice beach, so this is where we headed.

We walked off the ship and around the harbour to the water taxi station. We waited approximately 20 minutes for a boat to take us across the harbour to Toulon. Whilst waiting I heard a Welsh accent so struck up a conversation with a lovely couple from Swansea.

The boat itself took just 5 minutes to cross the harbour and was E2 per person.

Once off the boat we followed signs for the tourist information centre so we could ask how to get to the beach. The problem was we couldn’t find it. We did find the town hall and two police officers were just walking out of the building. G and the girls knew what I was going to do, as I will literally talk to anyone, much to their embarrassment. I went up to the police men and in my best French asked the way to the Tourist Info.

They were very friendly and said they would take us. So off we followed, walking down the main road behind two police officers haha. I said a very enthusiastic Merci when they walked us right to the door.

The lady in the office was very helpful. We had to cross the road; turn left and walk to the second bus stop. Here we were to get on the number 3 or 23 which ran every 15 minutes and get off at Le Mourillon which we did. It cost E1.40pp.

Each stop was displayed on board and announced. It took 10 minutes and was only 2 -3 stops.

M wanted to be in the shade so we approached an area of the beach outside a restaurant that had padded sun loungers and parasols. M was happy here as she was totally in the shade under a parasol. We paid E40 for the beds for the day. In addition we were able to get drinks, food and ice creams and just paid the total bill at the end. They were very trusting and very accommodating. Stroppy had bought her kindle with her, so sat in the restaurant using their WIFI.

It was a lovely beach, 3 little coves with a fort one end. We were one of only a few British families, it was mainly French. It was not typically touristy which was lovely.

We got the 1.42pm bus back to Maydol (the stop before Toulon where we had gotten on). We walked passed Toulon Rugby stadium and into the big shopping centre which had plenty of shops and a supermarket. Chance to stock up on more sun cream and drinks for the trip back to the ship.

We just missed 1 water taxi so we had to wait 28 minutes for the next. It was a bouncy trip back across the bay and then a 5-10 minute walk back to the ship.

Once back on board we headed to café promenade for Ben and Jerry’s and drinks before heading straight to the pool deck. Aviv at café promenade laughed at me when I called J a stress head. He thought that was very funny.

We spent the rest of the afternoon on the pool deck, watching Murray play tennis on the big screen. I popped to the solarium pool for ten minutes for a chat with B about her day. I got an invite from her and J to the Viking Crown Lounge tonight for drinks.

Very lovely of them but even though G wouldn’t mind, I’d feel awful leaving him.

We took some lovely photos as we left Toulon bay. A French Navy ship passed us and the sailors on board, saluted Explorer.

We found the peak a boo bridge, forward on deck 11, with the observation area looking down on the bridge; very interesting.

At dinner we were talking about our plans for Palma. Would we be better having the afternoon at the water park than on the beach as planned? I’d forgotten the details of the water park. So cheekily we headed up to VCL at 1030pm were J,B,M and L were chatting, so we could ask M if she minded having a quick look for us on her phone as she had the internet package. Bless her she did and we decided not to bother with the water park, as it would only be open for another 3 hours by the time we got there.

We said thank you and left as our M isn’t old enough to be in there and G would have crashed the girls night lol.

IMG-20150716-WA0000_zpsch9lx5oz.jpg

7th July; Palma, Majorca

We weren’t docking until 1pm so we had the morning at sea. Lay in, followed by the gym and then doing things like playing golf and shuffleboard to pass the morning. We were in no hurry to get off, unlike some who decided to queue and block the corridors from exactly 1pm. There was some delay in docking, due to the dock the Captain had chosen to berth at and the issue of getting the walkway to us. So we decided to head to the MDR to try out the famous Tutti Salad bar. Yep we really enjoyed this and made a mental note to return on other sea days, when it was open for lunch.

When watching the sail in, we could see a Costa ship can’t recall the name. MSC Divina followed us in and The World was also docked. I would never have guessed what she was all about, based on her understated exterior, had I not known better. An English couple heard me telling J all about The World, so they thanked me for their little cruise lesson and asked me how I was a fountain of all knowledge. I of course filled them in on the best cruise forum!

We left the ship at 2pm and headed to the tourist info inside of the terminal to see if there was any information on boat trips but there weren’t. So we headed outside to the taxi rank. The fares were published on a huge board, so you knew in advance what you would be paying.

We waited less than 5 minutes in the queue for a taxi and hopped in asking for Palma Nova.

I’ve been to Majorca 7 times as a kid. Always to the East and South coast, so whilst I wasn’t bothered about what we did, my only request was to see a somewhere different. G and the girls have never been so they were happy with where ever we went.

The taxi came to E17 and I gave him E20. He dropped us right on Palma Nova sea front at the taxi rank.

We went for a wander around the resort, touristy shopping before heading to the beach.

We had a lovely afternoon; 4 beds and 2 parasols cost us E27.

The resort was clean and tidy as was the beach but the water was filthy; lots of floating rubbish.

There were pedalos available for hire and a giant inflatable assault course which was E10 for an hour. It looked great fun but me and the girls didn’t fancy it and G wasn’t fussed doing it by himself.

There were toilets at the end of the beach 50c entry. There were also public lockers/safes which were E3 for the day.

We left the beach just after 6pm and headed to a shop we had spotted earlier. Mr Mastercard was my best friend in this shop as between me and J we came out with 4 dresses and a handbag for G’s mum.

We didn’t realise that the public toilets on the beach closed at 6pm. So after it eating my 50c, we set off to find another loo. We popped into a hotel and asked nicely and were told it was no problem to use their facilities.

I rushed out of there so quickly as M started to wheeze because it was so hot in the bathroom, that it was only when we got to the taxi rank that I realised I’d left my bag and purse in the hotel bathroom. I don’t think I’ve ever run so quick, but luckily it was still there and luckily I realised before getting back to the port!! What an idiot!!

Once back on board we headed to get showered and changed for dinner at Windjammer. This was to be our only night not eating in MDR as we wanted a quick turnaround to explore Palma. In hindsight we should have eaten out but it didn’t cross our mind until afterwards.

We weren’t impressed with the choice of food in Windjammer for dinner in comparison to Indy.

On the way off the ship we bumped into Mike again who asked us if we where taking the girls clubbing in Magaluf! Haha

We turned right out of the port and walked on to the pedestrian section of the promenade. We went for a lovely stroll as the light was fading. We left the ship at 9pm and got back just before midnight. It was such a lovely stroll; we walked as far as the Cathedral and back.

Gazing at the beautiful yachts in the marina our attention was taken to one called Lady Lara. M googled it to see who owned it and it was for sale. Anyone got a spare E30 million?? If so there is a gorgeous yacht with your name on in Palma marina lol

Once back on board we headed for the pool party. We had drinks and watched the poolside entertainment from one level up sat on sun loungers on deck 12. Saw J from our roll call and had a quick chat, they too had been to Palma Nova.

After midnight we watched MSC Divina leave and decided to go down to deck 4 helipad to watch the sail away. The girls went back to the cabin so G and I went on our own.

The helipad was full of teenagers singing and playing music. They were behaving and keeping themselves to themselves but they were still there past the 1am curfew when we set sail.

We then witnessed the most absolutely stupid thing we have ever witnessed anyone do. One of the teenage boys climbed over the railing of the helipad on to the other side! Explorer was just pushing away from port. We were about a foot away from the dock. If he’d have fallen he’d have been a gonner! All of the teenage girls started shouting his name, very dramatically of course, like you do at that age. The silly lad was quite clearly showing off with little regard to his own safety or the thought of what could happen. Both myself and G and a couple of other adults where literally about to intervene when another lad, grabbed him and pulled him back over. Plain stupidity!!!

We looked up and could see the Captain and Pilot on the bridge but we have no idea if they had seen or not. A few minutes later, 3 waiters came up on to the helipad. The presence of ships crew made the teenager’s disperse pretty quickly.

We stayed up on deck until Palma bay was behind us and MSC Divina was a speck in the distance ahead of us. It was 2am by the time we got back to the cabin; way past my bedtime and the girls were already sleeping.

SAM_2669_zps1pqbhmie.jpg

SAM_2663_zpsyx7me8kg.jpg

SAM_2656_zps9vhoryqr.jpg

SAM_2576_zpsgypemnw2.jpg

Palma port taxi rank prices

SAM_2588_zpshla0vhll.jpg

funny little 2 seater electric cars for hire from hertz. One seat behind the other and automatic.

SAM_2591_zpsvpvuqtmx.jpg

Thank you for all the effort you've put into this review! I'm enjoying it immensely! We have Explorer coming down to Australia for our summer this year so we have a little 3-night sampler booked in November so interested in all photos you show of the ship!

Thank you for all the effort you've put into this review! I'm enjoying it immensely! We have Explorer coming down to Australia for our summer this year so we have a little 3-night sampler booked in November so interested in all photos you show of the ship!

you are very welcome. I know several staff we spoke to were looking forward to their trip down under!

More photos to come...

you are very welcome. I know several staff we spoke to were looking forward to their trip down under!

More photos to come...

We hear that a lot from crews from all different ships & cruise lines! It could be because generally we're a laid back, relaxed & friendly lot who don't bother too much if everything isn't A-OK all the time so rarely whinge or complain about the little things that often happen in life!

You should come down & meet us some time. We love showing our country to visitors!

Gae

We hear that a lot from crews from all different ships & cruise lines! It could be because generally we're a laid back, relaxed & friendly lot who don't bother too much if everything isn't A-OK all the time so rarely whinge or complain about the little things that often happen in life!

You should come down & meet us some time. We love showing our country to visitors!

Gae

I'd love to come to Oz, I have family in Newcastle, NSW. My hubby won't fly so itll have to be a pipe dream until we can do a world cruise one day.

Is it true you guys down there don't have to pay grats, or is that a rumour?

8th July; Sea Day

Today we simply relaxed at sea. After breakfast we went to the gym and played adventure golf but then spent most of the day in and out of the pools and jacuzzi’s. One of the jacuzzi’s in the solarium is very hot; too hot almost.

The pool deck was very busy but we found sun beds on deck 13 forward except is was extremely windy. I went down to the solarium after a while and found B there so had a chat. Then I dangled my feet in the water whilst reading my book “Australia” by Bill Bryson.

The Captain said in his daily noon announcement that we were 19 nautical miles off the coast of mainland Spain and would be passing through the straights of Gib at 3am the next morning, if anyone was interested. Mmmm 3am? Nope not at that time, but if I’d have had a balcony cabin I may have peeped out.

We went to the MDR for lunch again. We had the tutti salad bar. Unfortunately mine for some reason went a bit wrong. I went along pointing at everything and saying what I wanted. Then it was handed to the chef at the end to mix and chop it. For some reason he scooped up a load of croutons. I tried to stop him and say I couldn’t have them but he plonked them right into my bowl and went to hand it to me. I had to say that I was sorry I couldn’t have the croutons as I have a gluten allergy, so he started to try and scrape them off. I explained again that I couldn’t eat it due to the risk of cross contamination but he just didn’t get it. One of the other chef’s heard, apologised and started it all over. I felt a bit of a pain but I clearly did not ask for the croutons so I’ve no idea why he decided to put a load on my bowl?

We could have had a 3 course lunch also but we decided the tutti salad was enough for us. We shared a table with a Scottish family who between them had soup, burgers, fish and chips etc. It all looked very good.

We went to the Ice show at 2pm. Its now allocated on Muster station number. So being C10 it was our turn. I had to pop back out to the cabin to get a cardy which made G and M laugh at me. The ice show was fantastic. I actually thought it was the best we have seen (out of 3).

As we left studio B we stopped by Café Promenade. Aviv still can’t “let it go” he’s still singing his little heart out doing his best Elsa impression love him!!!!!

I’d not pre chosen dinner for tonight as we hadn’t gone to the MDR last night (if you have an allergy you get to see the menu the night before to give them chance to adapt a meal for you). Michael had chosen for me and had chosen well, bless him.

M had looked forward to dinner all night because it was Jaffa Cake for dessert. She was so excited when we told Michael he laughed and brought her out two portions!!

SAM_2675_zpsspm1891p.jpg

At the end of dinner as we were leaving Michael came out with a covered plate. “Here you go Miss M the last 2 left in the kitchen” More Jaffa Cake – M had it for breakfast – yep chocoholic!

After dinner we headed for the cabin as we have an early start tomorrow in Cadiz. On the way we stopped by Café Promenade for my nightly hot chocolate (can you see a pattern forming?)

Aviv was in hyper mode. He waved me over excitedly “Miss M I’ve just met Katy Perry!!!! “Have you Aviv really?” I replied. “Yes” he said. “I swiped her sea pass card and the name came up

K A T Y P E R R Y. Spelt the correct way” He is so very funny. “Night night Aviv” “Good night Miss M”

We decided to make use of the movie passes we won at the meet and mingle. We wouldn’t normally pay to watch a film but it seemed a shame to waste the vouchers.

The girls watched a film in their cabin and we watched American Sniper. G had bets that I wouldn’t see the end and I didn’t I missed the last 20 minutes nodding off…….

Ship models in the next cruise booking area;

20150711_133739_zpsowrvfwzf.jpg

20150711_133626_zpstprfjptt.jpg

20150711_133603_zpskyfiqnbn.jpg