Bring fish back on ship?

jplee3

Hey all,

Was just wondering if the ship allows you to bring fish back on if you caught it and had it processed (frozen or smoked). Maybe smoked won't be a problem but will they allow frozen?

I thought I read somewhere that some cruises (probably smaller ones) may be willing to prepare your catch for you.

Anyone know for the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas? I'd venture to guess that they won't let me bring any fish back on unless it's smoked or commercial bought...?

No you can't bring your caught fish back on board. Not sure what you are thinking, but there is no way, your fish would be processed in time anyway, and smoked fish is even a longer process.

If you are doing your fishing mainland Alaska, independent, you can take your fish home with you, in approved packaging done by the vendor. Is significantly cheaper.

No you can't bring your caught fish back on board. Not sure what you are thinking, but there is no way, your fish would be processed in time anyway, and smoked fish is even a longer process.

If you are doing your fishing mainland Alaska, independent, you can take your fish home with you, in approved packaging done by the vendor. Is significantly cheaper.

Thanks... I figured as much that I wouldn't be able to bring it back on board.

I think the only option then would be to have it shipped... we are actually flying into Seattle and the cruise is roundtrip from Seattle->Juneau->Skagway->BC->Seattle. We have a family friend in Seattle so it is possible that we could ship to her and have her hold it. Not sure if that would be much more cost-effective though.

Thanks... I figured as much that I wouldn't be able to bring it back on board.

I think the only option then would be to have it shipped... we are actually flying into Seattle and the cruise is roundtrip from Seattle->Juneau->Skagway->BC->Seattle. We have a family friend in Seattle so it is possible that we could ship to her and have her hold it. Not sure if that would be much more cost-effective though.

You tell the vendor when you want the fish to arrive at your home. You don't have to have anyone "hold it" except the vendor.

You tell the vendor when you want the fish to arrive at your home. You don't have to have anyone "hold it" except the vendor.

I understand that. What I'm wanting to do, if it's cheaper shipping from Juneau/Skagway to Seattle vs from Juneau/Skagway to Los Angeles, is to ship it to our family friend's home in Seattle and when we get back to Seattle from the cruise, get it from her before we head to the airport and check it in for our flight back home to LA.

I understand that. What I'm wanting to do, if it's cheaper shipping from Juneau/Skagway to Seattle vs from Juneau/Skagway to Los Angeles, is to ship it to our family friend's home in Seattle and when we get back to Seattle from the cruise, get it from her before we head to the airport and check it in for our flight back home to LA.

Likely would be pretty insignificant. Do you plan on visiting this person anyway? And they are agreeable, and have space for your fish? (they aren't going to be able to break it down, if you are going to fly with it, or do you want them to handle the dry ice??, and repacking?) A lot more trouble then it's worth, possible baggage fees as well.

Ship it to your home. :)

Likely would be pretty insignificant. Do you plan on visiting this person anyway? And they are agreeable, and have space for your fish? (they aren't going to be able to break it down, if you are going to fly with it, or do you want them to handle the dry ice??, and repacking?) A lot more trouble then it's worth, possible baggage fees as well.

Ship it to your home. :)

Well, I would have everything processed up wherever I'm fishing out of so that it'll just be frozen fillets that are vacuum-sealed. But yea, the other factor is making sure they have space AND are agreeable - I think they would be if they have space :)

I guess a lot of it would depend on how much we catch (although even that is never guaranteed of course). But if we end up with hundreds of pounds of fish (unlikely), we'd definitely ship it straight back home if we wanted to. If it's more like 30-40lbs of fish though, it *might* be worth doing it the former way. Guess I'd have to figure out what all the shipping costs are either way.

Are there any sites that give estimates on shipping costs for seafood?

Well, I would have everything processed up wherever I'm fishing out of so that it'll just be frozen fillets that are vacuum-sealed. But yea, the other factor is making sure they have space AND are agreeable - I think they would be if they have space :)

I guess a lot of it would depend on how much we catch (although even that is never guaranteed of course). But if we end up with hundreds of pounds of fish (unlikely), we'd definitely ship it straight back home if we wanted to. If it's more like 30-40lbs of fish though, it *might* be worth doing it the former way. Guess I'd have to figure out what all the shipping costs are either way.

Are there any sites that give estimates on shipping costs for seafood?

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

Processors are pretty standard in costs. I wouldn't expect more than a .25/pound difference no matter who your vendor uses.

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

Processors are pretty standard in costs. I wouldn't expect more than a .25/pound difference no matter who your vendor uses.

Thanks for the info! That site is very helpful. Will processors ever offer Goldstreak for as an option to ship? Or is Goldstreak really something that I'd have to handle myself?

As BQ already linked you to a cost calculator this might be redundant - but unless you live somewhere with no fishmongers or only super-outrageously priced ones, it's usually a lot cheaper to just buy Alaskan-caught fish at home... of course, those won't be *your* fish;-)

The only way to get a major saving is on the shipping side - have them can it, not freeze it, when processing. Assuming they can do this quickly enough for you to collect the fish same day you can use the USPS flat rate boxes to send as many cans as will fit inside the box anywhere in the US for a fixed price set by the size of the box - maxing out at less than US$18 for a 12"x12"x5.5" box of up to 70lbs.

There's a post office in all of your ports.

I'm going on a fishing excursion in Ketchikan. The description states "your catch may not be stored onboard your cruise ship but may be prepared for dinner onboard."

Is this a cruise ship shore excursion statement? I know Princess now offers this, BUT, it is a one time feast. You aren't going to get any left overs. If you are only interested in one meal, from a potential 15 meal catch, a good option.

Edited by Budget Queen

I'm going on a fishing excursion in Ketchikan. The description states "your catch may not be stored onboard your cruise ship but may be prepared for dinner onboard."

What cruise line is this?

Is this a cruise ship shore excursion statement? I know Princess now offers this, BUT, it is a one time feast. You aren't going to get any left overs. If you are only interested in one meal, from a potential 15 meal catch, a good option.

Yes it's the salmon sport fishing expedition which I booked through Princess Star. I think it would be awesome to have your catch served to you on-board.

Princess offers this, BUT, it's a one time deal.

Yes it's the salmon sport fishing expedition which I booked through Princess Star. I think it would be awesome to have your catch served to you on-board.

Darn, we're on Royal Caribbean so doesn't look like that's gonna happen. It's okay, I'm starting to scope out other local trips and probably just for C&R fishing too. The more I look into the chartered salmon/halibut fishing, and start adding the costs for processing/shipping/etc up, it starts getting super expensive... So I may just take the fast ferry over to Haines from Skagway and head up to Chilkoot lake to do some spin or fly fishing (catch & release). We'll see...

BTW: did you end up processing and having the rest of your fish shipped back home to you? And if so, what did it end up costing you roughly?

Edited by jplee3

We have experienced this several times, several years ago. We never did this with our fish, however, but were invited to partake by others (when there was fixed dining). I didn't find the preparation ideal (over cooked fish) you also need to consider being real "friendly" with anyone, and offer it to everyone around you. Overall, it's a lot of waste of potentially, excellent fish.

Darn, we're on Royal Caribbean so doesn't look like that's gonna happen. It's okay, I'm starting to scope out other local trips and probably just for C&R fishing too. The more I look into the chartered salmon/halibut fishing, and start adding the costs for processing/shipping/etc up, it starts getting super expensive... So I may just take the fast ferry over to Haines from Skagway and head up to Chilkoot lake to do some spin or fly fishing (catch & release). We'll see...

BTW: did you end up processing and having the rest of your fish shipped back home to you? And if so, what did it end up costing you roughly?

My cruise is next month on Princess Star. I'm really looking forward to sampling the halibut and salmon and maybe catching some. I might consider shipping back home if not too expensive.

Are you referring to- if you have Princess prepare your fish? As far as I know, the fish you turn into Princess has to be intact, and it's a one way trip. You don't get any of it back.

It totally depends on weight, fees are fixed with the link I posted above.

Are you referring to- if you have Princess prepare your fish? As far as I know, the fish you turn into Princess has to be intact, and it's a one way trip. You don't get any of it back.

It totally depends on weight, fees are fixed with the link I posted above.

Yeah I got that.

Let us know how it goes! I may have to just live vicariously through you... oh and if you could send me some fish that would be great too LOL jk

Oh and let us know the name of the charter/capt who you end up going out with. I'm always a bit wary of the cruise-booked charters....

With all that jumping Ketchikan salmon.... so tempting to bend a fork and throw it over the balcony with a fish line. Sushi!!!

Lots of fishing on the creek bridge nearby.

Years ago, make that many years ago, ships did accommodate passengers bringing back freshly caught fish. However, that is a thing of the past. I agree that very often, in the height of the season wild salmon can be purchased less expensively in you local supermarket then it can be caught, frozen and shipped from Alaska....I know there is that big salmon barbeque party where you invite friends and family and they get to see your fish as you regale them with the story how you had to fight that fish for an hour before you were able to land it....and all that has value. ;)

Let us know how it goes! I may have to just live vicariously through you... oh and if you could send me some fish that would be great too LOL jk

Oh and let us know the name of the charter/capt who you end up going out with. I'm always a bit wary of the cruise-booked charters....

Lol...definitely will report back. My first choice was not the cruise booked charter. The independent ones require a minimum of 3 or 4 people to book which doesn't work for me since I'm going solo.

Lol...definitely will report back. My first choice was not the cruise booked charter. The independent ones require a minimum of 3 or 4 people to book which doesn't work for me since I'm going solo.

For others, several vendors, take single passengers, just filling their boats. You may not have a choice on time, but many do not require you to charter their boats, and sell individual tours.