Formal Attire on Zaandam in Alaska

cruisemama5

We are going on a 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Zaandam on the 26th. DH has a tux and is wondering if he should take it or just go with a jacket and tie. He enjoys dressing up, but doesn't want to be the only one wearing a tux. Three years ago, about 1/3 were wearing them. Two years ago, on Princess, there weren't very many.

Are women still wearing cocktail dresses, or not as fancy?

Thanks.

We are going on a 14 day Alaskan cruise on the Zaandam on the 26th. DH has a tux and is wondering if he should take it or just go with a jacket and tie. He enjoys dressing up, but doesn't want to be the only one wearing a tux. Three years ago, about 1/3 were wearing them. Two years ago, on Princess, there weren't very many.

Are women still wearing cocktail dresses, or not as fancy?

Thanks.

We did the 14-day Statendam cruise in May, and I was surprised at the # of tuxes and gowns that we saw. We were at a table of 8, and two men wore tuxes, and two men wore suits. Women were wearing long dresses, cocktail dresses, dressy (verrrrry dressy) pantsuits, and some were in more day-wear type dresses.

Our cruise was sold only as a 14 day, and I think yours is being sold as 2 x 7 day. And I think (though I am not certain) that some of the pax on both those segments might be doing land tours either pre or post. So that could influence how many "bother" with formal wear.

IMHO if your DH likes being in his tux, by all means he should take it/wear it.

Not sure if your ship will be more strict than the Oosterdam was last week but I don't think I saw anyone in a tux. Most men wore a jacket (no tie) and some didn't even bother with that. Most women wore dresses or pant suits but they were more "day dresses" than evening attire.

One man was even allowed in on Gala Night wearing a tshirt with the screen print of a tux on it and shorts :eek: No one batted an eye at what anyone else wore so I say that he should do whatever makes him feel more comfortable.

Please do dress to the nines, both of you, if you enjoy doing so!

I won't be on that cruise, but on behalf of everyone who loves to dress up and see others doing likewise, it will be great!

And just in case you are worried about feeling "overdressed", just remember that even if other people don't bother with dressing for the theme (ie: Gala!), THEY are under-dressed, not the other way 'round. :D Put 'em to shame and have a great time doing it!

(just, please, don't be so gauche as to outright mention their faux pas. Miss Manners would be aghast! Your mere, grand presence should be enough.)

On the Zaandam in June. I was surprised by how many tux's were worn. My husband had taken his and yes we had done the land tour before hand, he did not feel out of place wearing it. Maybe not so many heavy beaded long dresses worn by the ladies but you do have to wear clothes so why not some nice ones?