cruise roommate backed out at last minute

bluesmom

I found out today that the person I was supposed to share a cabin with had something come up at the last minute and can't go. I have been trying to find a replacement by asking friends, family, and co-workers but so far no luck. The problem is we cruise in 5 WEEKS and it doesn't give anyone a lot of notice to get time off work, etc. Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what did you do? I am newly single so a cabin all to myself may not be the end of the world but I hate to waste all of that money! :confused:

I had a roomie back out a few days before the cruise... of course she didn't get any money back, so we just didn't tell Carnival and I went by myself. I was cruising with a CC group, so it was all good. Your friend should still get a 50% refund, but if you don't find someone else, you'll have to pay for the 2nd person fare... I might just let it go... go and have fun!

If you cruise in only 5 weeks, final payment has been made, correct? At this point, if your roomate backs out, it is their financial loss, not yours. Unless you had some other arrangement with them for payment.

Do and/or your roomate have insurance? It may cover you if the reason for your roommate backing out is a covered reason. Your post did not say what happened.

I paid for the entire cruise on my credit card so it me that is out the money! The other person was supposed to pay me for their part of the cruise before we went. I am either going to find a spontaneous person with and some extra money they are dying to spend or go alone. Although, I really won't be alone as my mother, sister, brother-in-law, niece, and uncle are also going! Thanks for your help! I am going to have the time of my life no matter what happens!!!

Lisa, check asap with your TA for your options. You need to cancel friend before 30 days out to get 50% back on her fare. If you go alone the amount paid after the is about the single supplement fare (~150%). You can probably add a paying friend up to a few days before sailing. Even if you replace the friend, you still have to get the right names on the manifest, so don't delay cancelling after 30 days hoping to replace the friend.

For all my discussion about to go or not to go and how much this trip meant to me (see earlier posts), I will be going without my H (notice he is no longer my DH):( . Thankfully, I had numerous family members willing (lining up) to take his place. I sold his ticket to my mom at a discount - I figured we were out the money anyway. Try discounting the ticket price and see if anyone can swing it then.

Look at it this way - if you don't sell it you are out full fare. If you sell it at a discount, you have a lot of money available for foo foo drinks!:D

The lawyers call it an "irretrievable breakdown of the marriage". I call it a damn shame. I had held out hope that if I could get him on the ship, alone, we could use the trip as a "restore date" for our marriage. Unfortunately, things fell apart before we could even get packed. I'm very sad right now. It will be strange to go on the cruise with his sisters and their husbands, who will be celebrating their 10 year anniversaries (as we would have been, too), but since Pete and I have decided to do this with dignity and maturity, it should be okay. Pete's sister even told me she would help me find a "new friend" on the ship!

I thought my mom would be able to go, but my dad is not in the best of health, so I am in search of a cabin mate. Any takers?

consider moving one of the cousins, neices ect. into your room. you can offer to pay the difference of the 2nd vrs 3rd person fare to the parents as the kids rate would go up.... but the difference should be less than the extra 50% for single passenger

if there is anyone sharing a cabin in your group that isn't a "romantic" hook up... you maybe can add yourself to their room and split the savings!

perhaps the x-cabin buddy can take on some of this responsibility and help replace themselves so you aren't hit with a 50% additional fee....;)

I'm out of ideas... good luck

carol

Don't let it get you down. People drift apart just like they drift together. Look for the "silver lining" (every storm cloud has one). :)

Enjoy your cruise and get on with your life. You'll see further on down the road that this little bump when viewed in the grand scheme of things most likely won't even matter.

"I once complained I had no shoes, until I saw a person who had no feet". author unknown

The lawyers call it an "irretrievable breakdown of the marriage". I call it a damn shame. I had held out hope that if I could get him on the ship, alone, we could use the trip as a "restore date" for our marriage. Unfortunately, things fell apart before we could even get packed. I'm very sad right now. It will be strange to go on the cruise with his sisters and their husbands, who will be celebrating their 10 year anniversaries (as we would have been, too), but since Pete and I have decided to do this with dignity and maturity, it should be okay. Pete's sister even told me she would help me find a "new friend" on the ship!

I thought my mom would be able to go, but my dad is not in the best of health, so I am in search of a cabin mate. Any takers?

Awww...so sorry to hear that :(

Im sure you can find someone to go with you! When is it and what ship?

Thank you everyone for all of your great ideas! I am probably going to take your advice and just take a loss and give someone a really great deal on a cruise!!! (We sail on the Fantasy October 23rd by the way) The idea about putting my niece in my cabin was great but she is only 9 months old and is booked in her parents' cabin and also already paid for. I would gladly take her with me though....she is toooo cute!!:) Thanks again everyone!!

Archived