Breakaway departure time from Bermuda changed to 3 PM?

dcipjr

Hey all,

I noticed under Vacation Summary that the departure time from Bermuda for our Breakaway cruise is now 3 PM, instead of 5 PM. I'm wondering whether this is a mistake—or, if it's true, why the change occurred?

Maybe fuel costs? Or the Breakaway having trouble holding the schedule?

I'm hoping it's incorrect. Not that I'm going to get too worked up about 2 lost hours on the last day of a 3 day visit, it just would be a shame.

Hey all,

I noticed under Vacation Summary that the departure time from Bermuda for our Breakaway cruise is now 3 PM, instead of 5 PM. I'm wondering whether this is a mistake—or, if it's true, why the change occurred?

I'm hoping it's incorrect. Not that I'm going to get too worked up about 2 lost hours on the last day of a 3 day visit, it just would be a shame.

Uggh, I've got a Bermuda cruise booked in 2016, I'm sure it's a fuel saving measure. Just one more cost cutting measure by the new NCL management. Oh well.

Hey all,

When I log into my vacation summary for my October 2016 bermuda trip it still reads as a 5:00 departure, but that's probably just because they haven't updated the website yet.

It is happening on many itineraries. Speculation is that it is a slow down to save fuel. There has been no notification from NCL. Passengers on POA learned of their late arrival when a private tour company informed them.

When I log into my vacation summary for my October 2016 bermuda trip it still reads as a 5:00 departure, but that's probably just because they haven't updated the website yet.

Yeah, our May 2016 still shows 5pm and no notification from NCL (although we haven't gotten the DSC increase email yet either).

Not a huge deal if we lose 2 hours the last day, but it's annoying given all the other small changes to what we booked.

Assuming it's to cut costs, anyone have an idea as to what a 2 hour slowdown would save in fuel costs?

Edited by Cauzneffct

It is happening on many itineraries. Speculation is that it is a slow down to save fuel. There has been no notification from NCL. Passengers on POA learned of their late arrival when a private tour company informed them.

I noticed that topic too and was wondering if this was something similar. If so, it's kind of a bummer.

Even with this change, the Breakaway still has more island time than the Dawn. If the Breakaway arrives at 8 AM on Wednesday and leaves at 3 PM on Friday, that's 55 hours. The Dawn is scheduled for an 11 AM arrival on Sunday, and a 5 PM departure on Tuesday, so that's 54 hours.

I guess it's not a huge loss, we'll just have to get an earlier start on Friday so we get more time in.

Hey all,

Are you looking at your vacation summary on-line? We leave 3 weeks from today. I better check.

The way things have been going the past couple of months maybe the Gem's Tortola port time will be cut from 7am to 1pm to 7am to 11am. :eek:

The way I am seeing it at this point is that the itineraries with overnight port stops and distance are affected. There is little point in decreasing to save fuel on a little island hop, but for distances it does matter.

My greater concern is this move as an indicator. If NCL is taking these steps, they are surely cutting back in other areas that can have an even greater affect on my experience. Food quality and staffing levels come to mind.

While I respect that they have the right to change itineraries around, the lack of notification is a problem. I just made final payment for my October Bermuda cruise on the Dawn, and if I'd made any shoreside plans for arrival day that were time sensitive, I'd have no idea they needed to be modified. Bad form NCL! :mad:

Just looked at mine for next Sunday. Arrival time is still showing 8AM, but departure time is now 3PM. A notification would have been nice. I am going to be sure to alert my roll call; I think most people are planning to stay near the ship on Friday, but you never know, this could affect someone's plans.

Yep - just looked it up for our cruise departing in 3 weeks. Now leaves at 3, which means we have to be back to the ship by 1.

No, if the ship leaves at 3 you only need to get back to the ship by 2:30. The 2 hours is just for embarkation day.

The way I am seeing it at this point is that the itineraries with overnight port stops and distance are affected. There is little point in decreasing to save fuel on a little island hop, but for distances it does matter.

My greater concern is this move as an indicator. If NCL is taking these steps, they are surely cutting back in other areas that can have an even greater affect on my experience. Food quality and staffing levels come to mind.

They are cutting times on short island hops. The Escape has changed from leaving St. Thomas at 3 (from 6), and the next stop is Tortola. It does get in to St. Thomas an hour earlier, so in reality it's a 2 hour difference, but this doesn't make any sense.

I can not believe that the departure time from Bermuda changed today to 3pm! How many more changes will happen from now until the cruise?? People have been planning their vacations for months and I have never seen so many changes from purchase of a cruise until departure. I guess NCL does not really care about the impact they are having on people and the vacations that they carefully plan. I understand that changes need to happen, but the lack of communication regarding them and the short notice is really unacceptable at this point.