Tricky Tricky..Carnival

JoeTN

If denied boarding....I'd flop the military ID down and say.....you need to get supervisor because I asked many times about this and was told no problem.;)

Exactly.

If they hassle you, Joe, ESCALATE immediately ! ! Start moving up the food chain until you get to somebody who has a lot to lose by making a wrong decision and screwing up your cruise ! !

I want to thank you also for your service. :)

I don't have any 'real' answers, but here's a suggestion:

e-mail the customer service or guest services dept. at Carnival and plainly ask your question as you did on here... hopefully, they will see the obvious and say yes... print that e-mail response out (including your initial questions to them) and take it with you when you sail.

That way, you won't have any surprises when it comes time to board the ship. I'd hate to see you turned away at the pier.

Good Luck!

Joe, just curious, my son would be very interested in the answer, how do you become "prior" military after two years of service???

My son is interested in military benefits, but does not want to do a four year hitch - he and can't find anything shorter, where should we look, which branch?

The Army does standard 3 year enlistments, and they are (were ? when I got out anyway) doing a 2 year+training enlistment (which can be as short as about 2 years 3 months, depending on the job you pick).

In my particular case, I joined with a parental waiver a few weeks after my 17th birthday, and, I got out with a knee injury in April, but I would've been getting out in August anyway for my 3 year commitment.

Well Joe, not trying to put in a plug or anything :D But if you enjoy this upcoming cruise, and you enjoy the Family Cruise with Chuckie, then consider coming to join us next October on the Saints and Sinners cruise :D I can guarantee you, you would have a wicked time :D :eek: :p

Good luck getting this all squared away... enjoy your first cruise!!!!

Joe should stay in the April timeframe and join us Castaways on the bran spakin new Liberty ....BTW you comin?........The meat in Montreal CAN'T be that good! Actually, Joe should come on both:D I'm still tryin to fanangle the S & S cruise myself!:p

Joe should stay in the April timeframe and join us Castaways on the bran spakin new Liberty ....BTW you comin?........The meat in Montreal CAN'T be that good! Actually, Joe should come on both:D I'm still tryin to fanangle the S & S cruise myself!:p

Still waiting on a final word on Montreal :( Still no commitment from the hotel...

Come on Mike, you can dooooooo it :D

And yes Joe, you should go on both!!!! The all adult Liberty Castaways AND the Saints and Sinners... :D

I recall in one of the military discount posting of not so long ago that stated that miltary as young as 18 could book on their own - so if he has a military ID then he most likely will not have a problem. Medical discharge is the same as active/retired as you still retain your ID card - where others (vets) only have their DD-214 for discounts.

FYI - most people do not know the difference between the different ID types (active, reserves, retired). Besides the color there really isn't much difference and most will just see it's a military ID and not concern themselves further. I have a feeling this is how some travel agents get more then one cabin for those who are only suppose to have one - after all - they all look the same unless you really examine them for differences or understand the codes.

I just find it fascinating that he is old enough to go and fight for our country and perhaps give his life but isn't old enough to cruise by himself! This is just too much for words.:confused:

Amen.....I was thinking the same thing.....! :rolleyes:

I do believe he may be allowed.....Someones Gotta Know the Rules ??

Exactly my thoughts, voyager. Glad to hear that Carnival can see the idiocy in sticking with the "no one under 18" rule and making adjustments for our brave, noble service people. :)

"If you can read, thank a teacher. If you read in English, thank a Marine" ;)

Ok this is in reply to what service you should have your son join. I am active duty miltiary currently stationed in Iraq, if your wondering how I have such fluent access to the web, well I am a Network Administrator for the USMC.

In reply to the question on which branch to join well that would havet to a personal opinion, ask a Marine that question well you will get the answer "There are other services?"

What I told my little brother (18yrs old well 19 now) was to go reservist and then look into the many commisioning options out there and go to COLLEGE!!! Becomming a reservist you are given mucho dinero for COLLEGE!! And belive me the O ranks are much better than enlisted, matter of opinion though. I say if your son is not ready to make a commitment of 4 years of service than reservist is the best option with many benifits including COLLEGE!

I would be happy to answer any other questions and you can email me as freely as you would like at

serramg@acemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil

So, I was looking at a cruise next April (assuming my first one in 40 days goes off without a hitch), and heres my question..

Im 20, and I'm allowed to sail in my own cabin / not adjacent to my parents because I'm prior military. Now, do any of you think Carnival will let me sail alone in April, being prior military with a past guest number ? I'll still be just barely shy of 21, but don't wanna wait for my birthday for the cruise (would be a nice present tho)

I talked to two people at Carnival and couldn't get a straight answer, im gonna call back in the morning, but figured I'd ask here.

Joe I have no idea if you could or couldn't but it sounds reasonable to make an exception for military personel. If you have the chance perhaps you could contact Carnival with the question and report back here with the results. I'm sure there would be many people interested in the straight answer. And as said before thanks for serving your country...job well done.

[size=3]First of all, thank you for enlisting and supporting our country. And I am so sorry that Carnival does not believe you are mature enough to cruise on your own. I guess if you were in the Navy, on a submarine, you would be considered an adult.:rolleyes: But, sorry to say, you must have a parent along with you to enjoy yourself. Find another vacation, and have a wonderful time!! Thank you once again! [/size]

To JoeTn, and the Marine in Iraq, Thank you both for serving our Country! God Bless you both and your families! My husband served 20 years active duty with the Air Force and never regretted a moment. He is a member of the Honor Guard and I just watched him leave a few minutes ago to perform the ultimate honor service again for a WW II Veteran.
Joe, I hope you have a wonderful cruise, we just came off the Fantasy a couple weeks ago, and they were just wonderful to us. Always have your military ID with you! You would be surprised at the places that do not advertise the perks unless you ask and unless you have the ID to back it up.
To the gentleman in Iraq, again, Thank you, God Bless, and God Speed!!
Also, please if anyone is only interested in what they can "get out" of something with only a couple of years investment, ( this is not only about Military benefits,but any aspect of life) maybe they need take a look at things from another persepctive. None of these benefits are entitlements, they are earned either through, years of dedicated service, injury, or God forbid, the ulitmate sacrifice. So please, if you are not ready to give your all, then stay home with Momma, get a job at a fast food joint, and play "paint ball" on the weekends!!

[quote name='mrdood']Joe, just curious, my son would be very interested in the answer, how do you become "prior" military after two years of service???

My son is interested in military benefits, but does not want to do a four year hitch - he and can't find anything shorter, where should we look, which branch?[/QUOTE]

Mrdood,
Currently you can join for a 2 year ACTIVE period, the catch is you still have a 6 year inactive Reserve obligation for a total of 8 years. You also will be limited as to what military occupations you will be able to choose as some require longer active obligations.
Dave (USMC 80-86)

[quote name='JoeTN']I asked about this, caus I was paranoid as all hell about being under-21, and the fact that I'll be arriving seperately from my parents (they're doing an extended pre-cruise vacation, I'm not), but my docs are supposed to have something in them that denotes I'm allowed to board, I don't know if its a seperate letter, or something on the ticket or what, but I was assured and re-assured about it :p[/QUOTE]

Get it in writing, Joe. And have a terrific time!:D

Carnival has a way of putting you and your parents reservations together. A way of connecting both of your booking numbers, so when one appears it is linked to the other one. My family went on a cruise together and my parents, grandparents, and myself booked seperately. I called my carnival PVP so when I was looked up in the system they knew we were all together in one party. I was military and 22. had no problem. call and try that. hope it helps!:)

I am sure this will sound goofy, but: One way to ensure no grief on the cruise w/parental units is to arrange contact location with them at dock or each set of you bring's a cell phone. Basically, check in & embark with them to prevent problems. If you go cruisin' in April with some cool folks like you've been encouraged to, do the same thing, try to meet up with some of them & all check in together. Organized groups are usually able to get expedited thru any sort of line/process/agent. Act like you belong there, and are expecting quality service from them. A confident attitude can work wonders. Plus, if you let them know you are expecting to just be able to get on board with no fuss, they are inclined to follow your lead & there will be no fuss.
I have done this during my last 2 vacations at the airports, and lo & behold, no problems. I have seen other folks bicker(!!)with the folks checking out our bags as we check in(homeland security?) and sure enough, the bag checking folks take special care with them...making their check in process take waaaaay longer than mine, because I hand them the bags with a smile and wait where they tell me to.;)

As a disabled vet myself, thank YOU for serving our country, and thanks to all the others who posted from all branches...I won't tease you too much maveric&k about being in the Marines:D ...USAF myself...

[quote name='katieandpaul']Ironic that you can fight for our country but you can't book a cruise alone??? Does anyone see the ridiculousness in this??? I ceratinly hope Carnival cuts you some slack!!![/QUOTE]Since they allow Active Duty to book regardless of age I'm sure that his disabled ID card will give him the same privledge.

[quote name='pamurchu'][size=3]First of all, thank you for enlisting and supporting our country. And I am so sorry that Carnival does not believe you are mature enough to cruise on your own. I guess if you were in the Navy, on a submarine, you would be considered an adult.:rolleyes: But, sorry to say, you must have a parent along with you to enjoy yourself. Find another vacation, and have a wonderful time!! Thank you once again! [/size][/QUOTE]
Have you even read this thread! You are out in right field!

Archived