Yankee Trails New York Cruise Express

landv

Hi! Has anyone used the Yankee Trails NY Cruise Express Bus to get to and from the pier from Upstate NY? I am cruising in late August on the Breakaway, and this company is advertised on the NCL website. I was just wondering about the service and if others have had experiences with it. Thanks!

We have used this service several times and it is excellent! Intact we just booked a cruise to bermuda on the Breakaway this week and are using Yankee Trails again in August. They pickup and take care of everything, and drop you off right at the pier.They make sure your luggage is taken care of . They pick you up 7 days later no problems!

We have used them twice so far on Breakaway cruises. Bus takes you right to the Manhattan cruise terminal. Once your luggage is on the bus you won't need to see it or handle it again until it is delivered to your cabin.

For us we make the 4 hour drive from Rochester to Albany..and then hop on the cruise express. Totally avoid the high parking fees in NYC and no hassles with driving in the city.

Really enjoy it and will be using them again when we cruise in September.

Yes, it's a great service, although I would try to keep your carry-on bag sizes to an absolute minimum. The overhead space is very small on some of the buses, so I had to sit with a suitcase under my feet both ways!

Edited by TardisDance

Added suggestion, don't rush to get off the ship on return. You will end up standing and waiting till around 10:30. Wish they would have some seating available. I end up sitting on my luggage ,bad back and can't stand for long periods

Added suggestion, don't rush to get off the ship on return. You will end up standing and waiting till around 10:30. Wish they would have some seating available. I end up sitting on my luggage ,bad back and can't stand for long periods

Yes that is a good tip. We stay onboard until the last possible moment before disembarking. The bus you go back on will be one that is dropping folks off for the next cruise. so if the ship docks on time and the next bus coming arrives on time...it will probably be somewhere around 11:00 am (maybe) when you board the bus to return to Albany.

DD and I used Yankee Trails a few years ago. It was great. We also live near Rochester, NY, and we went the afternoon before and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, NY. It was about 1 1/2 miles from the bus terminal where we needed to be the following morning at 7 AM for pick up. We stopped at McDonalds for a quick breakfast on the way and arrived in plenty of time. Parked our car for free for the week and the rest worked out very well. Much better than driving in NYC and paying the parking price at the pier. Oh, by the way, our cruise left on Oct. 29th. On Oct. 28th, we received a freak snowstorm in upstate NY and New England that year. I was really glad I did not have to drive in a snowstorm into NYC.

Yes that is a good tip. We stay onboard until the last possible moment before disembarking. The bus you go back on will be one that is dropping folks off for the next cruise. so if the ship docks on time and the next bus coming arrives on time...it will probably be somewhere around 11:00 am (maybe) when you board the bus to return to Albany.

I second this! When I used them last year, there was a traffic back up and they didn't arrive until 11:30. I had a spot where I leaned on my suitcase for hours, then the crowds started forming and a hot dog vendor made me move. $10 for a hot dog and a can of soda!

I second this! When I used them last year, there was a traffic back up and they didn't arrive until 11:30. I had a spot where I leaned on my suitcase for hours, then the crowds started forming and a hot dog vendor made me move. $10 for a hot dog and a can of soda!

Probably $15 if you wanted any mustard or Ketchup! ;)

Oh and since you are from upstate shouldn't it have been a can of "pop" :D

Edited by Red-Sol

Have used them 3 times and will use them next May. Wouldn't have it any other way!

I have booked with Yankee Trails for a September sailing. Do I need to call them and make reservations for my car to be parked in their lot for a week?

Thanks

I have booked with Yankee Trails for a September sailing. Do I need to call them and make reservations for my car to be parked in their lot for a week?

Thanks

Nope..no need to do that...you simply park when you arrive. :)

Perfect, thanks Joe. :)

You're Welcome! :)

Actually the parking area where the bus station is located seems very safe. It is in a semi-rural type area. We have never had any or heard of any problems there.

We've also used Yankee Trails for shuttle service to the NYC Pier. Very convenient, hassle free. In the past we've used Yankee Trails as our TA and booked cruises during their Cruise-A-Thon events and recieved the bus transportation to and from the NYC pier for free. Next August we're on the Breakaway and did not book thru Yankee but have already booked and paid for the cruise express bus, even though there's 3 of us and it would be cheaper to park at the pier, it's much nicer to not have to drive. As others have mentioned, be in the last group getting off the ship on your return, they will give you information when you board the bus in Albany. It can get busy crazy on the NYC pier and you may be standing for a while, there aren't many places to sit at the pier. Parking area at the Yankee Trails bus station is very well lit, we always park under one of their big lights. And just as in all types of transportation, stuff happens, our first trip on the cruise bus and on the way home after our cruise, the AC broke and the driver pulled off at a rest area and opened the cieling vents, it did get warm in the bus, but not unbearable. Second trip, no problems.

• 3 months later...
DD and I used Yankee Trails a few years ago. It was great. We also live near Rochester, NY, and we went the afternoon before and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer, NY. It was about 1 1/2 miles from the bus terminal where we needed to be the following morning at 7 AM for pick up. We stopped at McDonalds for a quick breakfast on the way and arrived in plenty of time. Parked our car for free for the week and the rest worked out very well. Much better than driving in NYC and paying the parking price at the pier. Oh, by the way, our cruise left on Oct. 29th. On Oct. 28th, we received a freak snowstorm in upstate NY and New England that year. I was really glad I did not have to drive in a snowstorm into NYC.

Just heard of Yankee Trails World Travel from someone on trip advisor. Going on the Gem in March. Weather can be so iffy and already had a snow storm hit 2 years ago on cruise day. We were flying in from Syracuse and were lucky that the planes to NYC were about the only ones still flying as the storm hit just south of there. Since then I've gone a day ahead.

But this looks like an ideal and inexpensive way to get to NYC. I can drive to Albany.

Has anyone had experience with bad weather on the day? Does Yankee Trails let you cancel if you see a snowstorm is coming and would rather take a chance on Amtrak? Or am I paranoid? Free parking is another incentive.

How did you like the Holiday Inn Express?

Just heard of Yankee Trails World Travel from someone on trip advisor. Going on the Gem in March. Weather can be so iffy and already had a snow storm hit 2 years ago on cruise day. We were flying in from Syracuse and were lucky that the planes to NYC were about the only ones still flying as the storm hit just south of there. Since then I've gone a day ahead.

But this looks like an ideal and inexpensive way to get to NYC. I can drive to Albany.

Has anyone had experience with bad weather on the day? Does Yankee Trails let you cancel if you see a snowstorm is coming and would rather take a chance on Amtrak? Or am I paranoid? Free parking is another incentive.

How did you like the Holiday Inn Express?

I haven't experienced a bad weather day, but they do have an option to buy cancellation insurance for $5 pp. Based on the chart, you do need to give them 3 full days notice for a cancel to get your money back, minus the insurance fee, i.e. if you ship leaves on Saturday, you need to notify on Wed, Sunday departures, notification is needed on Thursday. It might be enough if a bad storm is predicted.

The one annoying part I found during my last cruise is that they won't leave if someone doesn't show up. The driver will wait and wait until their manager tells them they've exhausted their efforts to get a hold of the person. We waited over a half hour past the scheduled departure time. The same happened on the return back. I guess on the return back, an elderly couple was literally standing in front of the bus the whole time and thought that someone would tell them to get on. They didn't have their phones on. Seriously?!!! :mad: