Confused abt bus system and help planning

mmbah214

Hi everyone,

I'm sure there is a thread about the bus system here on the boards but I'm having difficulty finding it. I'm set to leave in 2 weeks and I am last minute planning. (Somehow life got In the way and this trip creeped up on me) We have 3 days in Bermuda, first time going there. My plan is to do an excursion the first day through the ship, which is an island tour via bus, although this is tentative bc it seems really expensive. I know I definitely want to go to horseshoe beach. I read something about a blue line or pink line for the bus. How do I get from the dock to the beach? Is it a far walk from the stop? My hubby and I wanted to bring our beach chairs with us since I read the rentals can sell out fast so if it's a hike we might reconsider that idea.

Any other recommendations or must see beaches?

Thanks a ton!!!!

Ship excursions are always expensive. There are Blue Flag taxies at the pier that do Island tours. There are threads about using these. Bermuda is very easy to get around with the public transportation. When they talk about blue line and pink line buses, they are referring to the marking of the routes. All bus routes start in Hamilton. There are pink bus stop poles and blue bus stop poles. The blue poles are buses heading away from Hamilton, like in "blue away." The pink poles are for buses going into Hamilton. You can purchase transportation passes for one, two, or three days at the Dockyard which give you unlimited use of the buses and ferries. If you choose a two day, it must be used on two consecutive days. They also sell tokens at the Dockyard for $4.50 each and it is one token for a one way ride, so two tokens a person to get to Horseshoe Beach and back to the ship. There is also a Beach Bus that is $16 round trip to Horseshoe. You pay for that bus at the Dockyard also. Beach chairs might be a problem on the bus. They do not allow anything too big to be brought on since the bus system is used by the locals to get to school and work is often crowded. Fold up umbrella style chair might be OK since you would be able to keep them in the seat with you but not regular fold up chairs, I'm sure. The walk to the bus stop is about a 5 - 10 minute walk, depending on how fast you walk. All you have to do is follow the crowd. Off the ship, cross the causeway that attaches to the land, bear to your right at the "Y" in the road and stand in front of the wall to the fort that is there. You will see a tent set up for shade. St. George is great area to visit also. It is at the far end of the island from the Dockyard, so you want to go there on a day that you have the full day. A ferry ride in the morning, and then looking around St. George, lots of history there and a ferry ride back takes most of one day. Tobacco Bay Beach is out that way too. There is a Hop on Hop Off bus now that is $6 a person and you can ride it all day. It will take you out to Tobacco Bay and pick you up. So much to do in Bermuda, it is hard to tell you what you should do on your first trip. Get a Frommer's Bermuda Guide and start planning or just search this thread for a day or two and decide what you want to do. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Hi everyone,

I'm sure there is a thread about the bus system here on the boards but I'm having difficulty finding it. I'm set to leave in 2 weeks and I am last minute planning. (Somehow life got In the way and this trip creeped up on me) We have 3 days in Bermuda, first time going there. My plan is to do an excursion the first day through the ship, which is an island tour via bus, although this is tentative bc it seems really expensive. I know I definitely want to go to horseshoe beach. I read something about a blue line or pink line for the bus. How do I get from the dock to the beach? Is it a far walk from the stop? My hubby and I wanted to bring our beach chairs with us since I read the rentals can sell out fast so if it's a hike we might reconsider that idea.

Any other recommendations or must see beaches?

Thanks a ton!!!!

Ok DO NOT book excursions through NCL first they are expensive and second you're there for 3 days so there is no rush to get back on the ship (booking excursions through NCL will guarantee that you will not be left behind when the ship is going to leave).

There is a tour around Bermuda called Byway Tours (google it)... A friend of mine just recently went on this tour and she raved about it. You need to email Heidi and let her know what days you will be in Bermuda to see if she has available spots. She has a van that carries 8 people. She picks you up at the port (this is when you pay her $100 per person). At first my friend couldn't justify $100 per person for a tour, but she has highly recommended it! She drives you from one end of Bermuda to another. She makes stops, tells you the history, stops for lunch (which is included in the price), doesn't rush you, and takes you back to the port. I plan on going on this tour end of August when I get there.

As for beaches, Horseshoe Bay is a popular pink sand beach and has a long steep path to walk down and back up. If you cannot make that walk there are mini vans that charge $2 per person to take you down or up the hill. There is another beach Snorkel Park Beach close to the dockyard. If you get there before 10 am it's free entry, otherwise it's $5. I suggest doing this on the last day, so you're close to the ship.

Wednesday nights they have Harbor Nights in Hamilton.. A 20 min ferry ride from the dockyard. They have food stands, local craft stands, and cultural dance. The last ferry to leave on Wednesday night from Hamilton to the dockyard is at 10:30pm.

The caves are so worth seeing. It's a 40 min ferry ride to St. George and you walk up the hill to the bus stop and take the bus to the front of the caves. There are 88 steps down into the caves and back up. If you don't want to go to the caves then the original Swizzle Inn is across the street.

As for the payment for the ferry/bus... If you plan on using the ferry and bus 2 consecutive days buy the 2 day pass for $31 on board the ship (same price off the ship, but beats standing in the hot long lines). You can use the pass on the ferry and the bus as many times your heart desires in the 2 days. They also have 1 day passes.

NCL has had 2 day transportation passes available on the Breakaway from time to time, although they can sell out quickly.

FYI, there is one bus route...#6...that does not originate or end in Hamilton. The #6 (two different #6 routes actually) runs between St. George's and St. David's.

My husband and my inlaws and myself will be in Bermuda on the August 9 sailing of the Summit. I know there are lots of ferry and bus options available. My question is how much walking is involved in getting to them. My mother in law uses a walker and just wondering if its doable. Are there shuttles available to get her to the bus or ferry stops?

My husband and my inlaws and myself will be in Bermuda on the August 9 sailing of the Summit. I know there are lots of ferry and bus options available. My question is how much walking is involved in getting to them. My mother in law uses a walker and just wondering if its doable. Are there shuttles available to get her to the bus or ferry stops?

The Dockyard has to places that the ships tie up at. There is Kings Wharf and Heritage Wharf. If you think of a "T" with the top of the "T" being the piers and the stem of the "T" attaching the pier to mainland, there are two mooring spots for ships. If you are at the Kings Wharf end of the "T", there is a free trolley that comes up right next to where you exit the ship. You can step right onto the trolley and catch a ride onto land and get let off very close to the bus or ferry stop. If your ship is tied up on the Heritage Wharf end, the trolley does not go down that part of the pier up to the area that you exit the ship. You would have to walk about I/2 to 2/3 the length of the ship to get onto the trolley. Usually, Celebrity Cruise line uses Kings Wharf. Check your reservation to see which pier you are scheduled to use and You will know how far your Mother-in-law will have to walk.

Good News. I just looked on the Bermuda port Schedule and the Summit will be tied up at Kings Wharf. Your Mother-in-law will just have to walk off the ship, through the exit and she will be right where the trolley pulls up. You may have to wait for a while because, once it is full they take off. They do not run on any set schedule. The pull out when the cars are full.

As already mentioned there's a trolley at Dockyard that swill take you close to the bus and ferry stops there, but where are you planning to go? Wherever you get off the ferry or bus your MIL is going to have to walk. For that matter getting on the bus requires walking up a couple of steps. Can she do that?