Picking up purchased liquor on debarkation

MsMot

Did any of you recent cruisers buy liquor on board or in port? If so, how did it work out to pick up your package on the morning of debarkation? I'm really hoping that it is not as bad as I am anticipating. I always pick up liquor that you can't get in the U.S. for family and friends.

Super easy. They bring it to you the night before you leave. This way you can pack it in a bag for easy carry.

We've cruised a dozen or so times and never had an issue.

Not anymore LCTXcruiser. They changed the rules as of 7/9 I believe. Now you have to pick it up the morning of debarkation.

there was a comment in JH's blog regarding this that stated it took about 5 minutes wait. The only concern I have with this is if you carry off your luggage, you may have to wait to get your alcohol after they've started

disembarkment.

Not anymore LCTXcruiser. They changed the rules as of 7/9 I believe. Now you have to pick it up the morning of debarkation.

Oh wow! Wasn't aware of that. I swear... every time I turn around there's a new rule/regulation. Crazy!!

there was a comment in JH's blog regarding this that stated it took about 5 minutes wait. The only concern I have with this is if you carry off your luggage, you may have to wait to get your alcohol after they've started

disembarkment.

This was my concern as well. I was wondering what time it started. I was hoping they started the distribution early. Say maybe 6:30-7am so that early self disembarkation people can not be delayed getting off the ship.

I was hoping that my husband could go pick up the liquor and I could go get us breakfast and we could meet in the cabin and not be delayed in leaving.

Kelley, hopefully someone will post about this. We have a cruise booked in Sept and last year, got some ice-cider in Portland. I would hate to have to wait to get the bottles since we are parking our car at the lot in NYC and want to get on the road as soon as possible.

A post was made to a group I'm a member of from a cruiser just off the Magic stating that they waited a total of an hour and 20 minutes. Apparently pick up begins at 6am and this person got in line at 5:20am and didn't get their liquor until 6:45! They said that the line went from midships to the back of the ship and was wrapped around the corner!

I hope things go better on the Valor in September as I plan to pick up some liquors that aren't available here.:(

Apparently, your mileage may vary as my wife just came off the Triumph where she said it went really quickly... less than 10 minutes total.

I can't say when they opened for pick up and what time she went so maybe the key is not to wast time going down long before starting time?

A post was made to a group I'm a member of from a cruiser just off the Magic stating that they waited a total of an hour and 20 minutes. Apparently pick up begins at 6am and this person got in line at 5:20am and didn't get their liquor until 6:45! They said that the line went from midships to the back of the ship and was wrapped around the corner!

I hope things go better on the Valor in September as I plan to pick up some liquors that aren't available here.:(

This is exactly what I was afraid of:o:o

I wonder if Carnival's fun shop liquor sales dropped with this new rule. I also wonder if their last night drink sales increased with people not getting their goods delivered to their rooms.

Edited by MsMot

I just got off the Conquest and purchased liquor both in port and on the ship. I had to go to the dining room to pick them up on debarkation day. The hours were from 6 - 9 and they had tables for each deck. Very simple took me less than 5 minutes to retrieve them.

I just got off the Conquest and purchased liquor both in port and on the ship. I had to go to the dining room to pick them up on debarkation day. The hours were from 6 - 9 and they had tables for each deck. Very simple took me less than 5 minutes to retrieve them.

Thanks for sharing, by separating it by deck,that should speed up the process. Wonder if the other ships are doing it the same way.

Did you fly or drive to port?

If I want my Sheridans bad enough, I might stand in line to get it.

My issue is what to do with if after my luggage is gone. Where do I repack? Can't carry it on the plane.

The packing is what's gonna stink. I can't wait to stand on the curb and pack my alcohol. :rolleyes: we are doing an carnival airport transfer so I hope it's quick so we can catch the bus. We had to leave at 8:00 in April. I hate rushing.

My issue is what to do with if after my luggage is gone. Where do I repack? Can't carry it on the plane.

We just unzipped our luggage when we got to the airport and slid it in. Not really a big deal.

Edited by rtap23

I'm really hoping it goes this smoothly when we cruise!

Thankfully, we drive to the port so repacking liquor into our luggage isn't necessary.

Kelley, hopefully someone will post about this. We have a cruise booked in Sept and last year, got some ice-cider in Portland. I would hate to have to wait to get the bottles since we are parking our car at the lot in NYC and want to get on the road as soon as possible.

Do you think you are the only one?;) Reports so far have not been negative about picking it up.

JH recently posted it took only 5 minutes to get your stuff. We shall see but IMHO that is 5 minutes too long.

If they want us to continue purchasing booze they will continue to deliver to our cabin the last night or even very early morning debarkation.

Not about to go get it.

We get our Sheridans every trip as we can not get it here. But I'm not going to wait in line, repack and then hustle off. Luckily Canada is 2 1/2 hours from here and makes for a good weekend visit. I have 4 bottles still unopened. Since being diagnosed diabetic, I've really curtailed any alcohol anyways.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

JH recently posted it took only 5 minutes to get your stuff. We shall see but IMHO that is 5 minutes too long.

If they want us to continue purchasing booze they will continue to deliver to our cabin the last night or even very early morning debarkation.

Not about to go get it.

It is now a published policy that the liquor will be available for pick-up the last morning. If you want to purchase from the duty free shops or from the ports that is your only alternative. I don't think they will consider the threats from a single passenger a reason to forego the new system.

Not about to go get it.

Let me guess....You're either Platinum or Diamond?:D

I guess you won't be purchasing any booze because they will not make exceptions because someone threatens to quit cruising with them.

We just got off the Sunshine this past Saturday and it took less than 5 minutes to pick ours up. The times were from 6 to 8 am.

I guess you won't be purchasing any booze because they will not make exceptions because someone threatens to quit cruising with them.

We just got off the Sunshine this past Saturday and it took less than 5 minutes to pick ours up. The times were from 6 to 8 am.

Hey, don't paint us all with the same brush! Will be willing to go pick up on the last morning as long as there is not a long line up so we will see what others have to say between now and our cruises in Nov and Dec. will decide then if it is worth it to buy or not.

No one regardless of level wants to wait in a long line on the last morning but if you want something, you gotta do what you gotta to.

We love cruising and several years ago, non Americans had to get up at the crack of dawn and wait in line for hours to clearimmigration before anyone could get off the ship. We love cruising so we did it. Same here. If people want duty free prices, they will just do it as per the rules.

Now where did I say I would stop; cruising with Carnival due to this policy?

What I said was we would stop purchasing alcohol from them for taking off the ship due to this policy.

We typically have a long drive to get home after a cruise and not willing to make life anymore complicated due to this new policy.

Not about to go get it.

Do you really think Carnival is concerned with alcohol sales? The time and manpower needed for delivery all over a ship is ridiculous. A lot of wasted time.

It won't affect you anyway, you've already posted you don't need to buy it on board as you buy from a place near you.

It is now a published policy that the liquor will be available for pick-up the last morning. If you want to purchase from the duty free shops or from the ports that is your only alternative. I don't think they will consider the threats from a single passenger a reason to forego the new system.

But if lots of people stopped their buying than they might rethink this policy.

Last I heard I was not a sheep.