Radiance of the Seas, Australia

Has anyone been on the Radiance lately, that would care to comment on the ships condition and possible plumbing problems. We are thinking of booking Circumnavigation of Australia and would be on her for 33 nights. I have also read that 18% is added to on-board purchases, is this correct. Any comments would be welcome.

I have also read that 18% is added to on-board purchases, is this correct. Any comments would be welcome.

The 18% you have read about is the gratuity or service charge, added to alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, purchases from the mini-fridge. Anything you purchase in the shops onboard is tax and duty-free - no 18%.

Where did you hear about plumbing problems and what was said? Have you read review here on this site?

I cruised on the Radiance Australia/New Zealand, November 2014. It was a good cruise, loved the stops. The Radiance could use some updates as it is showing the wear in some places. They were trying to replace carpets in some of our rooms while we were in them. We said no way. We were on Deck 7 aft. My friends had an inside cabin #7587 and they had major sewer issues. No one else had issues in the balcony cabins but you could get a whiff of the odor now and then. Not very pleasant.

We were on Radiance for a 16 night over the top Oz cruise at the end of February. Our friends had a port side deck 3 OV cabin just aft of the centrum and there was always a sewage smell in the hallway there. We had a mid-ship starboard side deck 4 OV cabin and that section didn't have this problem nor, as best as I can recall, did any other areas we passed through.

Has anyone been on the Radiance lately, that would care to comment on the ships condition and possible plumbing problems. We are thinking of booking Circumnavigation of Australia and would be on her for 33 nights. I have also read that 18% is added to on-board purchases, is this correct. Any comments would be welcome.
I'm booked for this cruise Oct/Nov 2016 and not worried.

Thanks for sorting out the 18% - usually its 15% so this had me confused. I have read about the plumbing problems (toilets) on member reviews on cruise critic, some are really bad. The cruise ship doesn't bother me if it is a little tatty but the sewerage problem is a little concerning, especially as we will be on for 33 nights. The itinery is just what we want to do and in the time frame. We are looking at a balcony on deck 8 port-side.

...especially as we will be on for 33 nights. The itinery is just what we want to do and in the time frame. We are looking at a balcony on deck 8 port-side.

Sounds amazing. :) Radiance-class ships have the outdoor aft eating area in the Windjammer buffet which is spectacular. Oh, the nights we sat out there, taking in the sunset in a different port each night.... glorious. You will love this class of ship. :)

I've sailed Radiance for 14 night Australia New Zealand cruise early this year and sailing her again next year.

Yes, she has plumbing problems occasionally due to her design, if a toilet got clogged (e.g. someone flushed a tissue box) then entire floor will be clogged.

This is a known issue. Compared to let say Voyager of the Seas that only the adjacent room's toilets will be clogged.

It happened twice during 14 night cruise, first it happened in the middle of the night when I woke up to relieve myself but I just slept through it and it was already working in the morning.

But the second one happened at a wrong time early morning just as everyone is preparing for breakfast, funny thing is everyone at deck 4 came out at the same time and says the toilet is not flushing..

We reported it and had to wait for a few minutes until they found the source of the problem, a guest in our deck did accidentally flushed a tissue box and clogged the entire floor.