Evening ideas

Smallfamily

Hi everyone a couple of years ago we were in San Juan for the day. We received the best advice on how to tour the 2 forts on our own and had an awesome time. We love to walk, hike etc.

This time our cruise docks 4pm-11pm and we are stumped. Would love any ideas on what we could do preferably walking or at least without a tour group. The only thing slightly interesting offered by the cruiseline is a kayak tour to bio luminescent area that has very mixed reviews.

Also other than the cemetery area is there anywhere not safe to explore ?

Thx :)

We were in San Juan in April aboard the Carnival Glory and were docked from 1pm-10pm. We went to El Morro and walked around a ton during the day and during the evening we went to a wonderful restaurant I found on trip advisor. It is called Punto de Vista and is located on the rooftop of Hotel Milano in Old San Juan. We went right before the sunset and sat outside. I can not say enough wonderful things about this restaurant. The food was delicious (I got the mofongo and DH had the churasco steak). It was a little windy sitting on the roof but it was a wonderful atmosphere and I would go back in a heartbeat. There are some pictures on trip advisor.

After dinner we just walked around some more and finally got back on the ship a little after 9.

Hi everyone a couple of years ago we were in San Juan for the day. We received the best advice on how to tour the 2 forts on our own and had an awesome time. We love to walk, hike etc.

This time our cruise docks 4pm-11pm and we are stumped. Would love any ideas on what we could do preferably walking or at least without a tour group. The only thing slightly interesting offered by the cruiseline is a kayak tour to bio luminescent area that has very mixed reviews.

Im very curious re touring the forts on our own,,, can you share? Thx!

Im very curious re touring the forts on our own,,, can you share? Thx!

Last trip to San Juan we toured Cristobel fort. It was so interesting- because it is part of our National Park system, if you have a Natioal Park card (we have a lifetime membership- benefit of being a Senior) your admission is free. It was hot- but cool inside underground and the view is amazing. You will receive a guide sheet when you enter. Well worth the short walk.

I don't advise trying both forts on the same day unless you have all day. We usually arrive at 3:00 which limits our time. El Moro is more austere and imposing- great views and again worth your time! Make sure you are on deck to see the forts as you enter the port- awesome!!

• 2 weeks later...

We don't get in until 4pm so the forts are out this time. Can anyone recommend a safe interesting walking tour and then we could stop at the above restaurant recommendation for dinner and drinks and stroll some more. Thx :)

If you go to puertoricodaytrips.com, they outline several walking tours of OSJ that are a lot of fun. The early evening is my favorite time to walk around the old city - it's a bit cooler and the city is starting to come to life.

Our favorite walk is along the Paseo la Princesa and along the grounds of El Morro by the water. You'll be able to access the path even if the forts are closed.

Enjoy!!

Our daughter's family (with teens) took the Bio-Luminescent Kayak tour and really enjoyed it. :)

LuLu

The kayak tour thru the ship is sold out and the independent operator actually discouraged me from booking. She was concerned about us getting back in time. So I'm going to use the above website to work on a walking tour plan and try to get on waitlist for kayaks. Does anyone know if they still hold some spots on shore excursions for booking onboard ? I know they used to before most everyone had Internet access. Thx