Skagway: which rail journey?

karen_g

I am having a very hard time deciding upon 2 different bus & rail combo journeys in Skagway (through Chilkoot Charters).

Option 1) Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion: 7.5 hours total time, train goes as far as Frasier, lunch at Caribou Crossing. Approx 1 3/4 hours by train, return by bus, stopping at Emerald lake along the way.

OR

Option 2) Bennett Scenic Journey: 8 hours total time, lunch at Lake Bennett. Train goes as far as Carcross. Approx 4 hours by train. Return by bus, stopping at Emerald Lake on the way.

We are most interested in viewing scenery, and maybe the opportunity to walk around in said scenery for a little bit. Am also tempted by the opportunity to pet husky puppies at Caribou Crossing on the Yukon trip! (Don't care about the cart ride tho).

Price difference is not an issue and 30 minute difference in tour lengths is not an issue. What MIGHT be an issue is that my husband is 6'5" tall and I am wondering about the relative comfort of more train time vs more bus time.

Ok, you now have all the info. Please help me decide! Thanks so much. : )

Flip a coin. Which ever one you choose, you are missing the other. You don't seem to have any preference.

The rail cars aren't that tight, and if you get in line early, get the front seats. Plenty of freedom to move around, stand out on the platform.

Both these tours could be great for you.

I am having a very hard time deciding upon 2 different bus & rail combo journeys in Skagway (through Chilkoot Charters).

Option 1) Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion: 7.5 hours total time, train goes as far as Frasier, lunch at Caribou Crossing. Approx 1 3/4 hours by train, return by bus, stopping at Emerald lake along the way.

OR

Option 2) Bennett Scenic Journey: 8 hours total time, lunch at Lake Bennett. Train goes as far as Carcross. Approx 4 hours by train. Return by bus, stopping at Emerald Lake on the way.

We are most interested in viewing scenery, and maybe the opportunity to walk around in said scenery for a little bit. Am also tempted by the opportunity to pet husky puppies at Caribou Crossing on the Yukon trip! (Don't care about the cart ride tho).

Price difference is not an issue and 30 minute difference in tour lengths is not an issue. What MIGHT be an issue is that my husband is 6'5" tall and I am wondering about the relative comfort of more train time vs more bus time.

Ok, you now have all the info. Please help me decide! Thanks so much. : )

This is option 1

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

I loved it ! But I have no doubt I'd have enjoyed the BSJ just as much. You will have a great day whatever you do. I like BQ's idea of the coin toss :) All the best, Tony

Tony, your videos are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

And BudgetQueen, thanks for the excellent about getting in line early and sitting in the front of the car for more legroom!

Karen

I've done both and prefer the Bennett trip. The stop at Bennet station is long enough to walk around for a bit and enjoy the history and nature. Probably not a deciding factor, but the lunch is better in Bennett. ;)

OK I did the Bennett Scenic in 2012 - I loved it. Being able to see the town of Bennett and all of the lake was great. I also love history and trains so the extra ride time and learning about the great thaw was quite interesting.

Our Chilkoot driver said we got the better lunch :D.

We still saw Emerald Lake and the Carcross Desert along with all of the sights along the Yukon Hy. in addition to Lake Bennett.

Booking through Chilkoot means that you will have a whole car possibly to yourselves - you are not smashed into the cars with the rest of the cruise ship passengers (we had 5 of us in the Chilkoot tour and there were another 6 people who were with a different company - I also think that a couple of people were with the Princess group that were in the front two cars. They also open up the ends of the cars so you can get up and walk around - go outside and take photos etc.

I like hearing about the time to walk around in Bennett and the better lunch. Hmmmm,. Decisions, decisions! I'm actually leaning towards Bennett now. Thanks for your opinions!

People should be aware that any tour, be it by rail, bus or combination thereof, beyond the summit does require a passport...not for entering Canada but for returning the US. Personally speaking, I have always enjoyed the trip to the summit and back then spending the remainder of the day walking around Skagway.