Cozumel/Progreso

bigdawgmatty

I'm sure the info is out there somewhere, but real quick...these are my two ports for my next cruise. I'll book an excursion at one. Does one port have a beach real close and the other better suited for an excursion? I'd rather book an excursion at the port without a nice beach nearby.

I'm sure the info is out there somewhere, but real quick...these are my two ports for my next cruise. I'll book an excursion at one. Does one port have a beach real close and the other better suited for an excursion? I'd rather book an excursion at the port without a nice beach nearby.

Yes, Progresso is pretty much nothing unless you book an excursion. Our biggest regret was not going an excursion to the Ruins. Even though it's a bit of a drive it's a great port to take advantage of doing this type of excursion in. Since it's such a long drive, like over an hour, I would book it with the ship in case it runs long.

Cozumel would be great for the beach. Others can give you more info but there are more than 1 all inclusive beach places that are often recommended on here if you are looking for a good beach day. This would be a great place for that.

I'd do an excursion in Progresso (I recommend Uxmal) and on your own in Cozumel. Super easy to take a cab to Money Bar for snorkeling, to one of many beach clubs for a nice day, or head into town for great food and somewhat hassled shopping.

Progresso does have beaches, and quite honestly Cozumel isn't known for the best beaches in the Carribean (it's awesome iron shore is what makes it a dive destination...) but the beaches in Cozumel are typically better than Progresso, and the water IS WAY better. Progresso is in the Gulf; Cozumel the Carribean.

Edited by skittl1321

I don't know about Progresso but in Cozumel we went with CozumelCruiseExcursions (dot) com....we did the Private Jeep Tour and it was indeed private. cost us 10 bucks more per person plus a 40$ exceptional tip for our awesome driver Johnny "Bravo" ...we chose to tip that amount he was awesome! These folks met us where they said and we did our awesome tour and we got to see what we wanted to and got to skip stuff we'd have had no interest in. It was a 5 hour tour. The supervisor called us at the end to make sure we had a good time..just a note you do have to drive the jeep outside of town due to Taxi Unions but once you are outside your driver will take over and you can relax.

Progresso is a pretty easy port, we took the little bus they offer off the pier and then walked to the beach. It's a relatively new port, so the prices were really reasonable. The beach was plenty nice, we got chaise lounge and umbrella included with ordering a drink. There are vendors, but it wasn't unbearable. There's also cheap massages.

I'd say the beaches in Cozumel are nicer, if you're only looking to do one beach day. I agree that Paradise beach is a good option.

Edited by Sooner-Cruisers

In Progresso I went to Chitchen Itza. Well worth the drive to see one of the man made wonders of the world! :D

And Cozumel has beautiful beaches. I recommend looking into Chankanaab :) I don't know if that is considered "nearby" but it's nice. But many many options for the beach here.

Do the Uxmal and Hacienda excursion in Progresso, you wont regret it-

there is a hotel within walking distance of the pier in Cozumel that does a day pass, great snorkeling, has sand, but not much of a beach. Oh, the hotel was called El Cid, but I think that they may have been bought out, check on line, cruise happy!

In Progreso, I would recommend taking a tour of Mayan ruins with Autoprogreso. They are the company that provides the shuttle from the cruise terminal to town. They have a space at the pier with a list of their excursions. There are three sites that are worth seeing: Uxmal, Chichen Itza and Dzibilchaltun. You can book in advance or in Progreso. Like others have said, the best thing to do in Progreso is an excursion.

I am right the opposite of almost everyone. I just love Progresso and it is one of my favorite ports.

The pier is long so they will shuttle you to the end. There is a flea market right after you get oof the shuttle then walk right into town. Several shops and a beach. Corona's are $1 at the bars with a shot of tequila for free.

Umbrellas and chairs free at the beach if you order something...remember...cheap drinks.

Take the town bus tour...$2 pp. It was a hoot. Double decker bus.

Edited by ready2cruzagain