Venice: Shuttle From Cruise Ship

Freebo

The Tom's Port site states that most cruise lines provide a private shuttle from the cruise area to St Mark's Square, for a very modest cost, and recommends it highly. Has anyone taken it? We are due into Venice this September, and it is our first visit. I don't see it listed anywhere on the cruise information for Royal Caribbean.

The Tom's Port site states that most cruise lines provide a private shuttle from the cruise area to St Mark's Square, for a very modest cost, and recommends it highly. Has anyone taken it? We are due into Venice this September, and it is our first visit. I don't see it listed anywhere on the cruise information for Royal Caribbean.

We were there a few years ago on Carnival and they didnt have one.

They will offer one onboard. The cost is not likely to be very modest. I have mostly found the cost much higher than the local alternatives on Alilaguna or the 24/48hr vaporetto ticket. ... or just walking through the streets of Venice.

Thanks. Does the Alilaguna have frequent departures, and does it run past 8pm on weeknights?

Here is a link to Alilaguna's website where you can check their schedules and costs: http://www.alilaguna.it/

There is another company that runs the vaporettos, or water buses, in Venice. Here is their website for information: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice

I came across these while researching the port. I haven't been to Venice yet so I have no first hand knowledge about either company.

As the link shows the Aliaguna service to/from San Marco runs every 30 mins until after midnight. It runs from the cruise port. The ticket place is easy to spot.

The ACTV 'vaporetto' does not operate from the port. The closest ACTV stop is at Piazalle Roma which is a short walk and monorail trip (€1) away.

From there my first timer tip is to take #1 or #2 down the grande canal to San Marco. One service stops many times, the other is an express so they both have pros/cons. Or if you buy the 2 day pass for a small extra fee you can use the Vaporetto Dell'Arte which is less busy/more comfortable but it runs less frequently.

If you are able consider walking to/from San Marco following signs for Rialto/San Marco or Ferrovia/P.Roma on the way back.

Does anyone know how far a walk it is from the the shuttle stop at San Marco to the San Marco square itself?

If you look at photos of St. Mark's, you will see it is right on the waterfront. I'm not sure which shuttle you're referring to, but there are several docking areas very close to the square and it will be a very short walk from any of them. You are essentially there as soon as you get off the boat.

You can buy vaporetto passes in multiple denominations, 24, 36, 48 hours etc. Time starts when you take your first ride by validating it in the machine on the dock, basically you just swipe it in front of a meter.

If you look at your ship's excursion options for Venice you will probably find a shuttle to/from St Marks. Check to see if it's for ONE round trip or multiple.

This link provides detailed info on the various transportation options within Venice ..... alilaguna, vaporettos, vap passes & routes, and People Mover.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-transport.htm

If you're ok with walking a few blocks at each end, I'd suggest taking the People Mover from pier to Piazzale Roma (1.3 E for a 2 minute ride on the monorail). At PRoma, walk 2 blocks and you're at the Grand Canal, so hop on the vaporetto and take it all the down the canal to St Marks.

Does anyone know how far a walk it is from the the shuttle stop at San Marco to the San Marco square itself?

From Alilaguna around 200yds. The Vaporetto stops run along the waterfront and it depends which number route you are using to get there. Assume you will come from P.Roma, the walk is again around 200yds.

I recall that the one time we used a ship transfer they dock further along and so you also need to cross a bridge near the Bridge of Sighs.

From Alilaguna around 200yds. The Vaporetto stops run along the waterfront and it depends which number route you are using to get there. Assume you will come from P.Roma, the walk is again around 200yds.

I recall that the one time we used a ship transfer they dock further along and so you also need to cross a bridge near the Bridge of Sighs.

Thanks. We used the ship's shuttle about ten years ago and I remember a long walk. Using Alilaguna looks like the way to go.