Statendam Itinerary Change: Glacier Bay

KruzPrincess

I'm sailing on the Statendam next week and just received notification of an itinerary change. They have cancelled the stop in Icy Strait Point and we're going to Glacier Bay! I know some are disappointed on my roll call, but I'm happy. I never tire of seeing Glacier Bay. I've never been to ISP and would have been happy to visit, but I'm happier with the change. Has HAL done this on previous Statendam voyages? Just curious if this happens often.

Interesting news. We too are on that sailing but have not been notified of the change. We will miss stopping at ISP as we have never been. We have been to Glacier Bay on two prior sailings and we do like it very much. Did HAL provide a reason for the change?

Wow - that is interesting. I for one adore ISP, so I'd be disappointed with the change, as much as I like Glacier Bay. ISP has incredible whale watching opportunities, and it is a real Alaskan town, not much of the touristy stuff you'll find in other ports like Ketchikan and Juneau. I'd be curious to know why the change? And why at this late date. Since permits are required for GB, and they are usually booked solid by HAL, Princess and NCL for specific days and time periods, it makes me wonder if there was an itinerary change on another ship? Or perhaps something changed w/ISP, where usually only one ship tenders there at a time....If you do hear anything more, please let us know, I'd be interested to see the reason.

I read recently on CC that a pier was being built or perhaps in the planning stage for ISP and ready for cruises in 2016. Could this be the reason? I loved ISP when we were there on the Amsterdam in May, 2014. Hi AP. Remember me?

I'm sailing on the Statendam next week and just received notification of an itinerary change. They have cancelled the stop in Icy Strait Point and we're going to Glacier Bay! I know some are disappointed on my roll call, but I'm happy. I never tire of seeing Glacier Bay. I've never been to ISP and would have been happy to visit, but I'm happier with the change. Has HAL done this on previous Statendam voyages? Just curious if this happens often.

Did not happen on our May visit. The Captain did say that the harbor is very deep and he had to anchor quite far out to get the anchor a shallow enough place to hold. Maybe related to tides? Just speculating, I have no idea if that is even a consideration.

We were at ISP in September 2012, on the Amsterdam and had a very enjoyable time. Saw a very typical Alaskan small town and met a large number of very nice people. I learned more about life in Alaska at that one port than all of the others that I had been to previously.

The other thing that impressed me so much was the way the townspeople did everything they could to preserve their cultural history as well as their economic history.

I was looking forward to returning on our cruise coming up in 32 days. :D

Okie 1946

Edited by Okie1946

I will be on the same cruise and I am delighted! We will see tracy arm, Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.

Iirc several years ago HSL added it for some of the 14 day cruises rather late in the game as the permits became available.

I sure would like to do that 14 day cruise again. 7 days just aren't enough and we left unfinished business in several ports and Cook Inlet, where it was foggy the entire sail in and out.

They did not give a reason. The notification basically said "We are pleased to be able to include scenic cruising in Glacier Bay. It will replace the call to Icy Strait Point on August 1, 2015." I got the notification via my TA. Other people on my roll call didn't get the notification, but got excursion cancellation notices.

I would have enjoyed ISP, but I really love Glacier Bay. This will be my fourth time to view Glacier Bay, but I'm happy with this. Some people on my roll call are disappointed.

We sail on the 24th (1 month from today) and would be delighted with such a change! Yes, I would like to see ISP, but given a choice as we have not yet been to Glacier Bay we would prefer that.

I even looked into going to Glacier Bay on a small boat from ISP, but our scheduled call in ISP is not long enough to permit that.

Time will tell for us but no matter what, we will enjoy the third to last :( Statendam cruise.

I've been following Captain Albert's blog as he is now on the Statendam. He said the reason they have to leave ISP at 2:00 is it is "Pedal to the metal" to reach Anchorage in time.

We received notice of the change in an email with our excursion cancellation. I was looking forward to zip-lining on my birthday but we love Glacier Bay too so just a little disappointed. Was wondering why the last minute change too.

I realize that several folks on the roll call are quite disappointed but, for us, we have always gone to ISP and never to Glacier Bay so we are very pleased. Wouldn't it have been super to be able to do both...

Leon

Edited by 65 Gator

Iirc several years ago HSL added it for some of the 14 day cruises rather late in the game as the permits became available.

I sure would like to do that 14 day cruise again. 7 days just aren't enough and we left unfinished business in several ports and Cook Inlet, where it was foggy the entire sail in and out.

According to a reply to this very question on Captain Albert's blog, this is in fact what happened.

Someone from our roll call messaged Captain Albert and he wrote the following response to her. (Thanks to Barbara on our roll call.) I copied and pasted this from our roll call:

Capt. Albert posted an answer to my inquiry:

Good morning,

This has just been announced, we on board only just found out as well. Visits to Glacier Bay are regulated by a limited Permit System. Without a permit no visit. Holland America just managed to get another of these coveted permits and thus made the change.

Thank you for reading my blog.

Best Regards

Capt. Albert

Yea...Alaska: The Last Frontier -but without much immunity from bureaucratic

nonsense, re: scheduling of permit.

Just bend over and forget the wishes-and-wants of the 1000's of passengers, particularly those looking forward to a trip to Icy Strait.

Edited by Mr. Solimar