Disney Magic Transatlantic

hhalliv

Hello Cruise Critics,

I have sailed on Disney about 5 times now, so I know the basics about the line, but am looking into taking a transatlantic next year on the Magic. I've never been on a sailing with Disney over 9 days, so I'm wondering what they do for entertainment on a two-week cruise, and also how many formal/semi-formal nights and theme nights they may have.

If anyone has been on the Magic transatlantic also, would you suggest it on an older, smaller ship??

Thanks in advance!

I've done 6...or is it 7 TA on the Magic, most recently in 2014.

The Magic is a fine ship. Yes, she is the oldest of the fleet but she is well maintained and 2 years out from a major refurb. I prefer the smaller ships to the larger ones. Frankly, the Magic has features I like that are absent from the Fantasy! Most specifically, it has a library shelf in the Cove Cafe--loans are on a sign out honor system. Disney provided a small foundation, but guests have added to the collection greatly and continue to do so.

As to entertainment, Disney brings on board special entertainers. Some cruise the entire time, others may board at one port and get off at the next. They also bring on board some Disney entertainers or other people who give a series of lectures about their work, time with Disney, etc.

No, the schedule is not packed as tightly as a 4 night cruise...if you don't enjoy sitting poolside with a good book or long relaxing afternoons, this may not be the cruise for you.

These cruises always have groups on social media. Sometimes we have arranged some of our own events--a tour of cabins, (so we could see one of each category or type), a book exchange in addition to the ship's library shelf, a champagne event, private tastings, pajama breakfast, etc. Disney has been very cooperative about arranging private tastings in advance provided the group fills them. We have always chosen to sit as a family at dinner, but some do a group thing then too.

I'd do EVERY crossing is the schedule permitted.

We were on the eastbound transatlantic cruise on the Magic in May of this year and I have previously read the lengthy review posted above which is quite accurate (in fact, the original poster had the cabin next to ours so I completely relate to the noise issue). But, simply put, this was an extraordinary cruise on an extraordinary ship. It was our 25th anniversary and we enjoyed every moment of the cruise. To elaborate on just one area - entertainment - it was exceptional. We were in the Walt Disney Theatre each and every night of the 15 nights of the cruise (something we have never done before and never expected to do on a 15 night cruise). Disney pulled out all of the stops on the entertainment. One of the best shows was an acapella group called Voiceplay (voice only, no instruments) that had finished as runner up in NBC's holiday show, "Sing Off". Double standing ovations. We also had the number 1 or 2 singer on the charts in Iceland. There were only two nights that were less than stellar. After the show in WDT we did trivia with a wonderful couple from Canada which was great fun. And, we only went to Palo one night because of our really nice table mates and server team. The Magic is the first DCL ship we were on and it's still our favorite.

Honestly TAs are amazing. Like others I'm on my 5th I think this September. They are way too addictive. So much more relaxed than on a 4 nighter. They have a lot more activities too and different shows which is fun. The WBTA this year is 11 nights and has 1 formal and 1 semi formal night. The one last year was 14 nights and was the same I believe (or possibly 2 semi nights). You definitely get to know people better as you see them more around the ship! You will love it I'm sure!

The WBTA this year is 11 nights and has 1 formal and 1 semi formal night.

Had no idea there were any formals/semi-formals planned! Have I missed this information on the online portal or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

How formal is the formal night? We booked this cruise as a nice way to get home after a month in Europe. We usually love dressing up on cruises but had not planned on taking overtly formal items in a bid to keep our cases light.

Had no idea there were any formals/semi-formals planned! Have I missed this information on the online portal or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

How formal is the formal night? We booked this cruise as a nice way to get home after a month in Europe. We usually love dressing up on cruises but had not planned on taking overtly formal items in a bid to keep our cases light.

Most people make an effort to dress up, whatever that means to them. There will be a few guys in tux or military dress uniforms, sometimes a few women in ball gowns. Most people wear cocktail type dresses or something like you might wear to a fancy evening wedding, most guys wear a jacket and tie. Some people don't dress up at all, but on longer cruises they are more rare than on short ones. You can get away with a nice dress/shirt and tie, but the majority will be a little more dressed up than that.

Most people make an effort to dress up' date=' whatever that means to them. There will be a few guys in tux or military dress uniforms, sometimes a few women in ball gowns. Most people wear cocktail type dresses or something like you might wear to a fancy evening wedding, most guys wear a jacket and tie. Some people don't dress up at all, but on longer cruises they are more rare than on short ones. You can get away with a nice dress/shirt and tie, but the majority will be a little more dressed up than that.[/quote']

So helpful! Thank you.

someone on another group phoned and asked.

• 20th Formal
  • 24th Freezing the Night Away Party (Frozen themed deck party after dinner)
  • 27th Pirate night
  • 28th Semi-Formal

But this may change

Formal night varies on the TA's. Some people go all out some people go nice dress/trousers & top/shirt. It tends to be less full uniforms due to luggage issues but it can still be seen. Last year I wore a long dress and didn't feel out of place but there were people in all sorts. I would say that as long as you look smart you wont feel out of place. You wont see many ball gowns on TA's but its not unheard of just less likely.

Edited by gismo1554

This forum is so helpful. Thank you so much. How very exciting! Hopefully there'll be opportunities for us to watch Frozen on-board. We haven't seen a Disney movie in around 10-15 years!

someone on another group phoned and asked.

• 20th Formal
  • 24th Freezing the Night Away Party (Frozen themed deck party after dinner)
  • 27th Pirate night
  • 28th Semi-Formal

But this may change

Formal night varies on the TA's. Some people go all out some people go nice dress/trousers & top/shirt. It tends to be less full uniforms due to luggage issues but it can still be seen. Last year I wore a long dress and didn't feel out of place but there were people in all sorts. I would say that as long as you look smart you wont feel out of place. You wont see many ball gowns on TA's but its not unheard of just less likely.

This forum is so helpful. Thank you so much. How very exciting! Hopefully there'll be opportunities for us to watch Frozen on-board. We haven't seen a Disney movie in around 10-15 years!

More than likely it will be shown at least once! Last year they did sing-a-long frozen in the Beuna Vista Theatre and it was so fun (mainly adults too lol)

I was on the Magic's Transatlantic cruises in May 2013 and 2015. I had been on previous TA cruises on 3 other cruise lines before going on DCL's. The other cruise lines had better itineraries than DCL's in 2013, but I thought Disney had more activities that interested me on the sea days...and there were a LOT of sea days! The itinerary of the May 2015 TA was quite good, and the price reflected that.

Regarding formal/semi-formal nights: I don't "dress-up" for either. My dinner attire those evenings was a pair of black dress pants and a nice top. Some people enjoy dressing up, but I'm not one of them.

Confirmation from DCL on the nights

On 11-Night Transatlantic cruise which departs from Barcelona on Saturday, Sept 19 to Miami Florida:

*Nights 1, 3-5,7-9-11: cruise casual

*Night 2 (20th Sept): "formal night" - formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress

*Night 6 (24th Sept): Freezing the Night Away Deck Party with Elsa, Anna and Friends-cruise casual

*Night 9 (27th Sept): Pirates In the Caribbean Deck Party

*Night 10 (28th Sept): "semi-formal night" - semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

I would dearly love to do a TA cruise! I just need to talk someone into going with me. Not everyone I know well enough to cruise with has an excess of vacation time that they would be willing to use on a long cruise. Must keep trying...:cool:

I would dearly love to do a TA cruise! I just need to talk someone into going with me. Not everyone I know well enough to cruise with has an excess of vacation time that they would be willing to use on a long cruise. Must keep trying...:cool:

You haven't talked to me yet!:D My favorite cruises....solo or with friends and family.

Edited by moki'smommy