Luminae Formal Nights

cruisedad2

I think a big reason why Americans dress so poorly is that we are overweight and thus uncomfortable in form-fitting clothing. Even when an effort is made to "dress-up," this usually entails some pleated khakis, a sports coat that could not be buttoned if a million dollars was offered, and oxford shirts that are a size too big in the chest and a size too small in the waist. Rather than worrying about fit, we worry about what the item of clothing is. Europeans tend to focus more on proper fit of items and less what category the item falls into. When I see people in MDR or at a nice restaurant or the theater, I don't pay attention to whether they have a collar, or if their pants are denim, I pay attention to whether the outfit fits and reflects a general interest in one's appearance.

Also, these dress code threads invariably focus on jeans/suits/khakis/tuxes, menswear. There are a lot of female offenders as well. Those black extra-stretchy cotton pants are "most occasion" not "all occasion." :)