Back from Jewel Inaugural in NYC with PICTURES

CPMichael

We just returned from the NYC Inaugural of the Jewel. It was a 2 night cruise to nowhere. We had a WONDERFUL time. There is nothing like leaving out of NYC and seeing the city and the Statue of Liberty from a cruise ship!

We tried to experience all of this ship we could in such a short time and have many great things to say about our trip. We took many pictures of alot of the different accommodations including the Owners and Penthouse suites, the Garden and Courtyard Villas, and inside and balcony cabins.

We were in a balcony cabin which is never wasted on us, as we spend a great amount of time on our balcony. I love being at sea. I found our cabin spacious enough -- and especially liked the bathroom. The shower was nice and roomy and had plenty of light through the glass door. A very nicely designed cabin overall.

We ate in the Tsars Dining room, the buffet, Cagneys and Mamma's Italian Kitchen. All were excellent -- especially Cagneys.

Our pictures are posted here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/456797868tgrbOs

I am happy to answer questions, if I can, if anyone has any.

Michael

Michael,

The pics are great! Thank you so much for posting and for the pics of the Romance Suite! I've been dying to really get a good look at one since that's what we have booked for our honeymoon!

Overall...what did you think?

Thanks again,

Michele:)

Tony

Re the pier departure point for the Jewel. We did the Dawn last November and the cruise terminal is on 12 Avenue (can't recall at what street) next to the USS Intrepid Aircraft Musuem.

Are you travelling direct from JFK or spending a few days in NYC prior to departure? Whatever you are doing, a taxi would be your best bet on getting there. Standard fares from JFK (and other airports) apply and, believe it or not, fares within the city seem reasonable compared to UK taxi prices.

Which October cruise are you on? We leave on 10 October.

Have a good trip.

Malcolm

Michael

I've now managed to get a thorough look at your photos. They are really great. Thanks for taking the time to let us all see them.

What were your impressions of Bar Central? Did it seem continually crowded?

Thanks again

Malcolm

Malcolm,

Thank you for the information. We are departing on Oct 10th also.

We had some hassle with NCL both in London and the USA.It appears UK passengers are staying pre cruise at the Holiday Inn 57th street where as our US friends are staying at the Sheraton-a far superior hotel-NCL gave the usual excuses that we couldn't change. I feel that (as many do ) that UK passengers are discriminated against.

I know now the departure termninal following your reply

We may see you

Kind regards

Tony.

Tony

Re the pier departure point for the Jewel. We did the Dawn last November and the cruise terminal is on 12 Avenue (can't recall at what street) next to the USS Intrepid Aircraft Musuem.

Are you travelling direct from JFK or spending a few days in NYC prior to departure? Whatever you are doing, a taxi would be your best bet on getting there. Standard fares from JFK (and other airports) apply and, believe it or not, fares within the city seem reasonable compared to UK taxi prices.

Have a good trip.

Malcolm

The Jewel should be at Pier 88 12th Ave and 48th Street as you posted right next to the Intrepid

map.gif

mapimage.gif.20b39167eb63cc3bc73b7d8cca86685a.gif

Tony

We have had a roll call going for this sailing since last December! Come and join us:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=96151&page=10&pp=25

We are having a CC meeting on 11 October and dinner on the 14th. A really good crowd and some Brits!

As for hotels. We booked the hotel separately and we are staying in the Wellington on 7th Avenue. Don't know what was on offer for the fully inclusive package but some fellow Brits we met on last year's cruise were staying at the NY Helmsley - booked via NCL.

Come over to the Roll Call Board and we can talk some more!

Malcolm

PS to Michael - sorry to hijack your thread!! I'm sure you can see how excited I am now that we are less than 3 weeks away.

Michael: Great pictures !!! It brought back many fond memories from our sail on the Jewel last month. I liked seeing the pictures of the courtyard villa suite. My sister and I are in an A3 suite in November. Even though your photos are of an A4,I'm sure they are similiar to the A3, just without the extra bedroom, bathroom.

Marilyn

Overall...what did you think?

Thanks again,

Michele:)

We LOVED the ship, very beautiful! I really thought the cabins were well layed out and enjoyed the idea of dining where I wanted. They have these big screens outside each dining venue that tells you wich rest. are busy and which are not -- great idea.

Michael

CPMichael ~

Beautiful pics., thank you for sharing!

Do you know which OS you posted?

How did you hit all of those restaurants in 2 days? lol

Is the layout similar to the Dawn?

We toured Owners Suite Cabin Number 10004 forward on deck 10.

We were able to have lunch in a couple of specialty restaurants on the cruise. I think they wanted us to be able to try as many as we could :)

The layout is VERY similar to the Dawn, with a few changes that have been pointed out before.

Michael

I understand the close proximity of the unenclosed cigar bar to the piano in bar central has created a serious problem for the piano player. Nobody should have to perform under those conditions. Not very good planning.

Not sure how this fits in this thread but here is a picture that shows the Cigar bar entrance and the Piano

DSCN0442.JPG.0bb9d341016bad3335e960d13672511b.JPG

She was berthed next to us on Sunday and is indeed a beautiful ship.

In fact we were sandwiched between the Jewel and the Dawn.

I felt so small on the Crown ;)

Here is some pictures i took.. Of course you have to edit them together :D

She is huge..

http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/7457215/112499449.jpg

http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/7457215/112499433.jpg

http://pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL377/1003796/7457215/112499440.jpg

Michael

I've now managed to get a thorough look at your photos. They are really great. Thanks for taking the time to let us all see them.

What were your impressions of Bar Central? Did it seem continually crowded?

Thanks again

Malcolm

We sailed on the Jewel transatlantic crossing and found bar central, especially the whisky bar not to be very crowded, I often sat there reading during the day. The only time it was really busy was during the free bar hour that we had because we missed the port of St Johns.

Then everyone and their granny was there........... free......... means crowds!!!!

Tony

Have a good trip.

Malcolm

Malcolm .have been quoted $48 return from Jfk to pier or hotel on shuttle .you can book the time to p/u at pier on return, let me know if you want mor details.

Archived