Umbrellas for chairs

pretykym

I've never seen them in use there. I can't imagine why it would be an issue though. It won't be in anyone's way. If that's what you want to do, go for it I say. If you're just concerned about getting out of the sun there's typically plenty of places you can get into the shade on the ships.

This kinda reminds me of the splash pool discussion a couple years ago. Someone thought it would be a great idea to bring along a blow up splash pool and plunk it down on the deck for their kids to play in. Terrible idea for a lot of reasons.

I'm an umbrella girl and have some of the chair umbrellas that clip on you your lounger. Anyone ever see these on board? Are they a no-no?

I've never seen them but they sound pretty cool. I'm not sure if they are allowed or not.

This kinda reminds me of the splash pool discussion a couple years ago. Someone thought it would be a great idea to bring along a blow up splash pool and plunk it down on the deck for their kids to play in. Terrible idea for a lot of reasons.

I can see where a blow up kid pool would be too much hahaha

Probably not an issue IF: they don't interfere with others passing through/around you chair, spaces are pretty tight with neighbors. Also don't use it to hold your chair when you leave for more than a few minutes, it might disappear.

I think it will be intrusive to other guests. Space is limited & the umbrella will take up more space than is generally allocated to a lounge chair & it's occupant. If you bring it, don't be surprised if you're asked to remove it.

I have a couple umbrellas that came with the camping style folding chairs. They clamp on to the side of the chair. I can't see them working at all. They barely stay up without a breeze, let alone on a windy sea day. And they would protrude over onto the next chair. Then depending on the angle of the sun they may not provide any shade at all. I would either find a shady spot or maybe go with a giant beach hat instead?

Same w/the blow-up dolls.:p

The dolls create a different type of problem. The wind can catch them and launch them overboard. A passenger can spot the doll flying through the air, and assume a passenger has decided to go for a deep sea drunken swim, and notify staff of man overboard. Then rescue maneuvers are initiated, and mass chaos ensues.

The dolls create a different type of problem.

The wind can catch them and launch them overboard.

A passenger can spot the doll flying through the air, and assume a passenger has decided to go for a deep sea drunken swim, and notify staff of man overboard. Then rescue maneuvers are initiated, and mass chaos ensues.

A BIG LOL !

Thanks!

The dolls create a different type of problem. The wind can catch them and launch them overboard. A passenger can spot the doll flying through the air, and assume a passenger has decided to go for a deep sea drunken swim, and notify staff of man overboard. Then rescue maneuvers are initiated, and mass chaos ensues.

Plus then you might have to pay additional port fees and taxes if NCL decides to classify the doll as an extra person. :D

In that case as a solo traveler I would demand a second UBP.

lol... good thought, but no real value in that unless you plan on having someone else use it as your first one is unlimited anyways. I would say double shore excursion credits. :cool:

• 1 month later...

I think people should bear in mind that photosensitivity is an increasing problem for many people. I suffer from it and believe me its not a laughing matter. I bring a stable portable sun umbrella with me on vacation, because of need not some indulgence. In fact, in my experience, there is a distinct lack of umbrellas in many US hotels and cruise ships and of course sunbathing is just leading to exploding rates of skin cancer worldwide.

so in my humble opinion, someone seeking to bring sunshade with them should not be subject to jokes, restrictions etc. Or told to bring a hat! (totally insufficent for many) For people like me, its a serious handicap, if I dont have serious shade, I cant be outside.

So please be careful of insensitive and ignorant remarks.

I think people should bear in mind that photosensitivity is an increasing problem for many people. I suffer from it and believe me its not a laughing matter. I bring a stable portable sun umbrella with me on vacation, because of need not some indulgence. In fact, in my experience, there is a distinct lack of umbrellas in many US hotels and cruise ships and of course sunbathing is just leading to exploding rates of skin cancer worldwide.

so in my humble opinion, someone seeking to bring sunshade with them should not be subject to jokes, restrictions etc. Or told to bring a hat! (totally insufficent for many) For people like me, its a serious handicap, if I dont have serious shade, I cant be outside.

I think if the OP had that issue, they would be setting up in the shade, and not bringing a tiny umbrella that won't cover more than their face. I don't know if you actually looked at the item that was posted?

Oh geez, lighten up. You're sensitive to the sun, you don't have ebola. I'm Scottish so my my tan consists of red, redder and burnt. So..I stay out of the sun and still use the hightest SPF.

I am sorry but you dont understand photosensitivity, it is not at all the same as someone who is light skinned and prone to burning. It is a serious medical condition and involves an allergic reaction to sun and/or heat, and causes swelling and pain. Indeed a sufferer who cannot even be out in daylight has just written a book describing her disability.

I dont think you would tell someone with another disability to "lighten up' so please do not dismiss something you have no knowledge of. The lack of knowledge and understanding is something that we who suffer from it have to deal with.

I think it will be intrusive to other guests. Space is limited & the umbrella will take up more space than is generally allocated to a lounge chair & it's occupant. If you bring it, don't be surprised if you're asked to remove it.
Also, poster should make sure it doesn't hinder those around her from getting sun.