Global Entry back at the cruise terminal?

evandbob

Port Everglades: New For 2016 Cruise Season - Global Entry

Global Entry is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival back in the United States. Upon debarkation, signage will direct cruise guests who are Global Entry participants to the front of the line in all cruise terminals.

Travelers must currently be enrolled in the Global Entry program and have gone through the approval process. All applicants undergo a rigorous background check and in-person interview before enrollment. While Global Entry's goal is to speed travelers through the process, participants may still be selected for further examination.

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/

Just sayin': Port Everglades has Global Entry. I came in at terminal 4 this February (2016). I guess other terminals could be slightly different. There were no kiosks so unlike at the airport you need to have filled out the Customs Declaration Form (CBP Fm 6059B). There was a Global Entry sign in front of one queue (with a rope across it). Basically you just show them your Global Entry card and they allow you into that separate queue (which goes ahead of the other queues). I went to the head of the line and it probably saved me 20 - 30 minutes. There weren't many others that had Global Entry on the cruise that I was on.

I'm happy they have it at FLL. But, I'm not sure why they have it. We got to bypass the longer line, but that was it. After we showed our GE cards to the folks controlling the line, we were allowed to go into a separate line. Then at the end of the line, we just merged back in with the other passengers. The customs guys didn't even know which line anybody came from. We never even showed our cards to them. We went through the same entry process as everyone else. Odd.

Technically, you can use this to check in with for a closed loop cruise, but it tends to give the check-in personnel a heart attack, as it doesn't fit one of the neat boxes they have, and normally will require a supervisor to approve and teach them how to enter it.

This brought back a memory from our first cruise, in 2005. Our oldest son had a (US) passport from a college trip, but our second son just had his birth certificate. He was born in Scotland, where were were stationed with the USAF. That poor girl at checkin was SO lost trying to find the right "boxes" to enter his info! (Yes, we got them all passports after that trip.)