Belize back up plan?

skittl1321

So, we are booked with .bz for cavetubing and ziplining in Belize in September.

I know this is a tender port, but their directions say to get to them as quick as you can. So we'll do just that.

However, I just read a review that said some people waited 2-3 HOURS to disembark in Belize.

I assume if it takes us 3 hours to get off the ship; there isn't enough TIME to go cavetubing/ziplining.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum time required to complete the excursion. I do NOT like cutting it close returning to the ship at the end of the day? Will .bz turn us down after that time? Or will they just rush the day in hopes of cramming it in and hopefully getting back to the ship?

If we do take 3 hours to get off the ship (god I hope that was a fluke or an exaggeration)- is there an alternate plan that we can easily make when we are in port? Nearby beach for instance?

I thought I had this all planned out- but after reading that, I am freaking out.

Your best bet is to PAY ATTENTION to all information on tender meet up spots. Typically Carnival will have non-ship/non-VIP cruisers meet in a separate location and sign up, first come first served, for tender numbers. Usually that starts at some time prior to 8AM, say 7:30AM. So at 7:15 AM show up at the meeting spot (one of the lounges or theater) as announced the night before in your Fun Times in your cabin. Show up with all the people in your party. Get as low of number as you can. Once you've signed up and gotten a number you can send people out for coffee or breakfast or what ever, but always leave a couple of people in the waiting area in case of an early call. Give any teens or children a set time to be gone. You can bring stuff to eat and drink into the waiting areas, but not trays of full meals. They'll call by a range of numbers.

How large of tender and how many are also dependent upon the number of ships in port with you. 1-3 ships will usually mean more frequent and larger tender boats carrying 200+ passengers at a time. More than 5 and you might be on smaller tender boats of less than 100 passengers and less frequent runs. Check cruisett.com and see how many ships are scheduled for the day you are in Belize City.

Obviously we will go to get the lowest tender number we can. But there is only so much we can do to try to attain that (show up early).

I'm trying to figure out what happens in the case that it really is 3 hours to get off the ship.

Obviously we will go to get the lowest tender number we can. But there is only so much we can do to try to attain that (show up early).

I'm trying to figure out what happens in the case that it really is 3 hours to get off the ship.

I thought .bz had a local number you can call. Maybe have that with you if it looks like you're delayed. In all the times I or DW have been in Belize, on large ships (Dream) or older ships and with any where from 2 to 8 ships in, we've never waited more than 45 minutes for a tender and we don't usually book ship excursions. I've even gone ashore around 10:30AM to walk around and look up a local Q place (that unfortunately was no longer) and I got on a tender right away. There were some reported delays back a 15-18 months ago when Carnival and the tender association were having some contract disputes but that's been settled.

Be did the tubing with them. It took forever for our ship to tender but they had a van waiting for us. Just be prepared for a fast drive. We ended up having to eat the lunch in the van and they got us back in time. Since a lot of people had been delayed- it actually took them a LONG time to tender everyone back onto the boat. We had time to spare. These guys make their money off of reviews and they aren't going to risk it. I think you'll be fine.

Edited by Bluefox