RCCL cruises through PANAMA CANAL 2016/2017?

We did a b2b on Legend this past April and got to see the progress of the construction of the new locks. I will be very surprised if they are completed anytime during 2017.

Well, after seeing for our selves what has been completed and what needs to be complete this past April (and we did both north and southbound transits), I would have to say that April of 2016 is a long shot.

We followed you through the Canal in May, on Jewel, and will take her back through this October. I'm not an engineer, but from what I saw, I agree with you -- they are not going to make an April 1 opening.

RCI primarily sends ships throught the Canal for repositioning purposes -- only occasionally will they send one back and forth (like Legend has done recently). With all the new ship deployments and repositionings scheduled for next year and 2017, it doesn't look promising for a Canal itinerary anytime soon. (I hope I'm wrong, because this is one of my favorite cruise destinations.)

Edited by travelgoddess1

Thought I would post this nugget over here because many of you don't travel over to the Panama Canal thread very often where I posted a link to what may be a serious problem that could threaten the opening of the expansion of the Canal.

Here is the post: Just when everything was looking like it was finally moving along as planned albeit a tad behind schedule, what could be a serious problem has surfaced. A large crack has developed between the middle and lower chambers of the Cocoli Locks which is allowing water to pass through the concrete chamber floor. I have no idea just how serious this condition may turn out to be or what the remedy will be.

Anyway here is a link to the article and a video showing the leak.

http://gcaptain.com/a-big-crack-now-threatens-the-panama-canal-expansion-video/#.VdrvDJcnXGs

Thought I would post this nugget over here because many of you don't travel over to the Panama Canal thread very often where I posted a link to what may be a serious problem that could threaten the opening of the expansion of the Canal.

Here is the post: Just when everything was looking like it was finally moving along as planned albeit a tad behind schedule, what could be a serious problem has surfaced. A large crack has developed between the middle and lower chambers of the Cocoli Locks which is allowing water to pass through the concrete chamber floor. I have no idea just how serious this condition may turn out to be or what the remedy will be.

Anyway here is a link to the article and a video showing the leak.

http://gcaptain.com/a-big-crack-now-threatens-the-panama-canal-expansion-video/#.VdrvDJcnXGs

Thanks for the link -- we leave for the Canal in 6 weeks.

Does anyone have any word on Royal's plans for cruises through the panama canal in 2016 and 2017? We would like to book a cruise to that destination, leaving either from Florida or San Juan, preferably in April of 2016 or 2017.:confused:

Very frustrated! Only want RCCL

We stopped waiting for RCI and signed up for April 28th cruise in 2016 on Celebrity Infinity- 15 day Miami to San Diego. The ship is nearly sold out. Even if the new locks are open it is not likely that the Infinity will actually use them. There are larger vessels in the cue I would imagine that would take priority.