Vanilla from port v Carnival's bottle rule

SadieN

It comes in plastic bottles and no one seemed to be that concerned about breakage with booze.

Great! I would have no problem putting it in my checked luggage if it does come in a plastic bottle.

I have found no where that Undilluted Raw with the Mother Apple Cider

Vinegar comes in a plastic bottle, only glass. The cheap diluted stuff does though and it does not have the medicinal values.

Tell me where I could find it in a plastic bottle?

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Great! I would have no problem putting it in my checked luggage if it does come in a plastic bottle.

Vinegar comes in a plastic bottle, only glass. The cheap diluted stuff does though and it does not have the medicinal values.

You can find wine diapers in your local wine shop. Could wrap the bottle in bubble wrap and disposable diapers (or female sanitary supplies) to absorb any liquid spilling into the suitcase. Of course all this would be put into a few ziplock bags.

I bake. I bake a LOT. Wedding cakes etc. In my opinion there is nothing like the Vanilla I get in Cozumel. I buy both the dark and clear. I bring quart sized bottles home from Cinco Soles shops. I have made my own in the past and it just wasn't the same. It was only OK at best. I do order Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans online. So much cheaper than the grocery store. Just pennies per bean. With all that being said, if I can't get my Vanilla back on board I don't know what I'll do. People want my buttercream frosting for its distinctive flavor which comes from the Mexican vanilla. Guess I'll have to contact Cinco soles and see if they will ship it to me if I can't bring it back onboard. But I'm betting there will be no problems.

Wrap it in bubble wrap then pack it in a cardboard wine tube/box, tape the lid on, It will not break. I have brought liquor and wine back in checked luggage on flights many times this way. :)

I bake. I bake a LOT. Wedding cakes etc. In my opinion there is nothing like the Vanilla I get in Cozumel. I buy both the dark and clear. I bring quart sized bottles home from Cinco Soles shops. I have made my own in the past and it just wasn't the same. It was only OK at best. I do order Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla beans online. So much cheaper than the grocery store. Just pennies per bean. With all that being said, if I can't get my Vanilla back on board I don't know what I'll do. People want my buttercream frosting for its distinctive flavor which comes from the Mexican vanilla. Guess I'll have to contact Cinco soles and see if they will ship it to me if I can't bring it back onboard. But I'm betting there will be no problems.

The rule applies to BEVERAGES only so you can bring back your vanilla. I can't wait to get some for myself.

Yum!

I'll also be bringing back bottles of various brands of hot sauces as gifts for friends.

Edited by mousey

The rule applies to BEVERAGES only so you can bring back your vanilla. I can't wait to get some for myself.

Yum!

Cinco Soles is the only souvenir store I shop at in Coz. Just ask them at the register to wrap the vanilla. They use lots of newspaper and will "make" a box for you to get the precious vanilla home for you. I bake ALOT, too. Just do not care for the clear...it is not real vanilla...sorry...

We have purchased bottles of vanilla in Cozumel on our last two cruises with no issues whatsoever. They were not at all hidden when we brought them back onto the ship.

Were your cruises in the past month since the beverage policy changed? Not a snarky question, just honestly curious. Because I think the issue has come up since the beverage policy just changed last month that states you are no longer allowed to bring plastic bottle beverages onboard. Bringing on vanilla before this would not have been an issue because the policy wasn't in place.

I tend to agree with those who pointed out that this is a "beverage" policy. And I would print it out and underline "beverage" to have with you when you buy vanilla in port just waiting to take it out if someone questions your vanilla. Although this is something Carnival should clarify beforehand, what someone on a phone tells you about the policy has very little to do with what actually happens on the ship. I wonder if you could clarify with someone in guest services when you board? Point out the policy to them and get their name, so if you run into any problems when you board from port, you have a person's name on the ship as a contact. But I would like to think vanilla would not be a problem. As long as people don't start buying large bottles of good quality vanilla in Mexico to pour out just so they can sneak on cheap booze. :rolleyes: I shouldn't have written that because now some idiot will try to do it and screw up the policy for everyone.

Were your cruises in the past month since the beverage policy changed? Not a snarky question, just honestly curious. Because I think the issue has come up since the beverage policy just changed last month that states you are no longer allowed to bring plastic bottle beverages onboard. Bringing on vanilla before this would not have been an issue because the policy wasn't in place.

I tend to agree with those who pointed out that this is a "beverage" policy. And I would print it out and underline "beverage" to have with you when you buy vanilla in port just waiting to take it out if someone questions your vanilla. Although this is something Carnival should clarify beforehand, what someone on a phone tells you about the policy has very little to do with what actually happens on the ship. I wonder if you could clarify with someone in guest services when you board? Point out the policy to them and get their name, so if you run into any problems when you board from port, you have a person's name on the ship as a contact. But I would like to think vanilla would not be a problem. As long as people don't start buying large bottles of good quality vanilla in Mexico to pour out just so they can sneak on cheap booze. :rolleyes: I shouldn't have written that because now some idiot will try to do it and screw up the policy for everyone.

Why not just drink the vanilla....that would give you quite a buzz. Again, until these threads start buzzing from the hundreds of folks who have had their vanilla confiscated I think this is a huge non-issue. This new beverage policy has been in affect for 3 weeks and we haven't heard any kind of grumblings from anyone who has actually cruised, have we?

Why not have a travel size bottle, unscrew cap of smaller bottle and larger bottle, pour some into the smaller container, screw caps back on. Voila. :D

Why not just drink the vanilla....that would give you quite a buzz. Again, until these threads start buzzing from the hundreds of folks who have had their vanilla confiscated I think this is a huge non-issue. This new beverage policy has been in affect for 3 weeks and we haven't heard any kind of grumblings from anyone who has actually cruised, have we?

No, but we have heard of illogical (e.g.throwing away empty water bottles) and very inconsistent enforcement and changing information from the supposed online Carnival expert. I have a feeling crewmembers and cruisers will have a clearer understanding after the first few months. I do think there's a need for at least a detailed FAQ on what can be brought back on board at ports (which addresses beverages bought on board and off, non-beverages, and reusable beverage containers), and consistent enforcement on all ships.

No, but we have heard of illogical (e.g.throwing away empty water bottles) and very inconsistent enforcement and changing information from the supposed online Carnival expert. I have a feeling crewmembers and cruisers will have a clearer understanding after the first few months. I do think there's a need for at least a detailed FAQ on what can be brought back on board at ports (which addresses beverages bought on board and off, non-beverages, and reusable beverage containers), and consistent enforcement on all ships.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634

Its all right here....what more do you want!

Why not just buy an empty plastic bottle and transfer the vinegar into it?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634

Its all right here....what more do you want!

So reading the link..... Vanilla is safe but tequila will be thrown away. There is no provision that liquor bought in port will be available for pickup at the end of the cruise.

Edited by SadieN

[quote name='marne001']Cinco Soles is the only souvenir store I shop at in Coz. Just ask them at the register to wrap the vanilla. They use lots of newspaper and will "make" a box for you to get the precious vanilla home for you. I bake ALOT, too. Just do not care for the clear...it is not real vanilla...sorry...[/QUOTE]

But its so much better than the clear stuff at home. Its good for those who prefer almost pure white frosting.