Celebrity Century

Gail5863

I have just booked a short break on Century, - 4 night /5 day Sailing departing Barcelona on 3 Oct 05. We have an outside stateroom 4101 (I think!) - window / no balcony - I think this is on Continental Deck. Has anyone been on this ship recently - are the beds as awful as some people write here? Any suggestions / comments would be welcome as I am thinking that we have made an awful mistake booking this ship....... I just hate worn out and old beds and usually book on newer ships.

Haven't travelled X before, but wanted to try it. I am told by my travel agent this is a premium ship and it wasn't a cheap trip either!

I must admit I do like my little luxuries but I didn't want the formalities of the ultra lux lines, just a chill out few days in good comfort....hence I thought this would be a good quality mid range ship.

I have cruised on most lines - everything from NCL, Princess, RCCL, Hal, right up to SilverSea, RSSC etc and do have an open mind.....! Will I be disappointed....? I'd rather know now!

I read these stories time and time again as to how bad the matresses are on X ships. You know, I have never had a problem on any of the X ships I have sailed on. All I ask is to remember the ship is 10 years old, so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new ship.

She is a great ship and I'm sailing on her in 5 weeks. I can't wait to be back. No the ship is nowhere near as bad as you may read on these boards.

Remember one thing, when people come off the cruise they don't jump on these boards and tell what a great trip they had. They are content happy and quiet. If they all did, these boards would be flooded with praise as to what a great time they had.

But as soon as someone has a bad time, they jump on the boards and bash the line, the ship, and the crew. You get one or two a month. Let's see 1750 people/cruise x 4, that's 7000/month and only one or two unhappy. What does that tell you?

My philosophy is "If you have a bad cruise you have no one to blame but yourself. There are 2000 people there to have a good time and 1000 that want to make sure you do."

I came off Century last month. I had no problem with the bed but my partner said she found it uncomfortable.

Ship is showing a bit of wear and tear but not enough to spoil the cruise!!

You will be fine:)

How was everything else? Food..... Entertainment...Service..

Just In your opinion of course!

I cant wait

Joey

We did the 7 night Norwegian Fjords and got back Aug 20.

Food was great! service was superb and the entertainment was also very good.

I normally cruise on newer ships and consequently the wear and tear caught my eye but overall I would still rate the line and the ship quite highly.

:)

Excellent .. we originally booked the Century for our first Celebrity experience for a cruise in February 06 and booked a SS stateroom because of the verandah.. Then I decided that we should do this October Cruise and only managed a CC no verandah but it should still be fun.

I appreciate your reply, and good to hear we should have a tremendous time.. And it’s Halloween too! .. Like I say “ I can’t wait”

Thanks again

Joey: We don't think that you will be disappointed. On our first cruise on Celebrity on Mercury, my DW was running a fever of 102-103 and we were staying in a Royal Suite. Our butler and the entire staff were so great. However, the Asst. Housekeeper came in on several occasions to see how my DW was doing, and during those conversations, she raved about Century and it absolutely wonderful staff.

We took her up on her raves, and have been on Century twice during the last year and several months. Was she right? Absolutely. The crew and staff on Century are without a doubt the best!!!! If you are of a bent to have a martini or two before dinner, make sure you visit Erol Gray the bartender at the Rendez-Vous Square bar. Oh, and tell him that Charlie and Nedra recommended him. :D

We had a cheap inside stateroom on the Century in April 2005. It was our first cruise. We loved the Century! Yes, it's a bit old and it's worn here and there but it didn't bother me. It was a very elegant cruise catering to an older crowd. My wife and I are in our early 30s and we were among the younger people on the cruise. We enjoyed the more adult atmosphere, with few children. It's rather quiet and laid back at night -- definitely not a big party ship. but that's what we like.

We enjoyed the Martini bar and Michael's Lounge a lot.

Don't miss the Sushi Bar open from about 5:30 -- 8:00 pm in the Island Cafe!

Only thing I didn't like was the gym -- it was old and very small. But I lived with it for a week, and I work out all the time. It wasn't that big a deal.

Service was terrific as was the food.

We were impressed overall because we had a dirt cheap room, about $700 each, but we were treated very well. BTW, I didn't have a problem with the bed. Slept like a baby.

We came off about a week ago. Had an ocean view on the 4th deck.

Initially, wife was a bit disappointed--the room was a bit smaller than on our previous cruise. The carpet had a stain, but could have happened days before--nothing to do with the cleanliness. The staff was great.

She took a look at the bed and moaned--but she slept soundly the whole time, and didn't find it a bit uncomfortable.

I don't know your itinerary, but we only took a ship's tour in Florence.

Decided not to do Rome, but instead took a local bus to Tariquina, where they have Etruscan tombs and museum--and lovely walled city. Spent about 4 hours there, and took local bus back to port. About 3 euros each.

When we went to Villefrance, we stayed locally. Climbed the hill, watched local traffic and a sports car meeting, took the local tourist train. Was enjoyable, no stress.

Only real complaint we had was Majorca. For whatever reason, the shuttle buses were insufficient, and there was a line waiting to get on until after noon--some folks were waiting over 20 minutes. We decided to make it a ship day, very lazy and laid back. Understand the return from town was a bit hectic for the same reasons.

Oh yes, we tried the lamb steak--about 2 bites (3 of us at the table had the same problem), Just some bad meat--nothing to do with the cooks or waiters.

Enjoy it.

We loved the ship so much we did it twice. I never had a problem with the bed but if I did I would just ask for an egg crate.

Please don't be dissapointed in your cruise before you start it. You might just be presently surprised. I love the smaller ships because you get a much more personal experience.

The food was excellent, and the 7 lbs I packed on proved it. The ship was spotless. The T-Pool was great and it was empty from 5:30 on so it was nice for privacy.

We were in an oceanview both times. The only thing that I can say is I wish we had gone with a suite so we could have the balcony BUT after the dry dock there should be a lot more balconies at hopefully a little bit of a lower price.

Happy Sailing!

Archived