Is Carnival still good with food allergies?

bangzoom6877

We would like to return to Carnival for our next cruise (in 2017). In 2013 when we sailed in the Splendor, they were wonderful handling my son's food allergies. He is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts and shellfish. We had the same waiter every night in the MDR, and the hipsters came to our table every night with the menu for the following evening. DS would choose what he would like. If he was torn between two entree choices, the waiter would arrange for him to have both. They made us feel safe and comfortable, even for the buffet. We stuck to the made to order items in the buffet area. He loved the burrito bar, and they were able to accommodate him there as well. We had submitted a form prior to the cruise, and checked in the MDR as soon as we boarded, where there were people to assist.

Is Carnival still good at handling food allergies? We just came back from an NCL cruise, and despite the fact that they were terrific in handling the food allergies when we sailed NCL in 2011, this cruise was not as good at all. We followed the same procedure, submitting the form months in advance, and checking once we boarded. Several times throughout the cruise, the restaurant staff (mainly maitre D) seemed like they didn't want to be bothered with this. The first day in the MDR at lunch, the maitre D actually responded to me by saying that it's only the first day of the cruise and it's the busiest day so I should bear with them. Allergies don't get put on hold for a busy first day! This was unacceptable.

In addition, they had a Bavarian lunch buffet one day in one of the specialty restaurants, and I spoke to a chef. He assured us that all desserts were safe and nut free. 15 minutes later, he came back and found us at our table to inform us that 3 out of the 4 desserts were made with almond flour! This could have been a potential disaster and nightmare for our family. Thanks goodness we weren't up to dessert yet, but he should have checked on all desserts in the kitchen before telling us they were nut free. I am very patient and every time I informed anyone of his allergies, I told them I will wait for them to go to the back and find out if necessary. This was beyond unacceptable.

I've contacted NCL and gotten a cold and callous response. I also spoke to Guest Services on the ship about it. We are done with them because of this.

I'm hoping Carnival is still good with allergies.

They are pretty good but from time to time have found some errors.

Have strange allergies to vegetables growing above ground that cause migraines.

Also spices that come from leaves. Good about the vegetables but the spices do cause problems.

Best to have same table and make sure head waiter and his assts know to watch for this.

They are pretty good but from time to time have found some errors.

Have strange allergies to vegetables growing above ground that cause migraines.

Also spices that come from leaves. Good about the vegetables but the spices do cause problems.

Best to have same table and make sure head waiter and his assts know to watch for this.

Yes, we would once again to for the early seating dinner with the same wait staff every night. We feel much more comfortable doing things this way.

Thanks for the tips! It is very hard being allergic to spices. A close friend of mine is allergic to cinnamon and at times it is very hard for her. So many packages items just list "spices" as an ingredient, and not the specific spices themselves, so she avoids those. The top 8 allergens (milk, wheat, soy, eggs, tree nut, peanut, fish, shellfish) are expected most of the time at restaurants, in our experience. I feel bad for those who have more uncommon food allergies.