Norway cruise---May or September?

pbnjrockette

We are looking to sail the Norwegian fjords and probably with Holland America. Still pondering a spring or fall cruise---in spring there would still be snow peaks and waterfalls but in fall a chance for Northern Lights? Anything else to consider weather or otherwise? Opinions appreciated!

Just back from this area - they say the best month for the Northern lights is March when the skies are clearest. And you need to be close to the 11 year peak cycle too - which passed a few years ago.

So either May or Sept would not be peak times to see the Lights and i wouldn't make a decision about that. Hard to say what is best but i would look for the least amount of overcast months so you can get the full benefit of what you came to see.

We had cold, rain, sunshine, fog so thick you could not see the fiords, warm enough for outdoor cafe sitting, and 24 hour sunshine on our June trip. And full bloom for the azaleas, rhododendrons and wild flowers - those may not be out in full in May. Spring flowers were out - tulips and flowering trees which meant their June was really more like our continental April/May. Still plenty of snow on the close by mountains, yet the hills were green. Much like Alaska - you never know until you get there.

Talk to the people who live there and they truly love their winters the best. Mainly because they love their outdoor winter sports. We did want to return on the Hurtigruten for a full winter cruise ourselves. A wonderful place to visit - and any weather will work because there are so many layer of this country to enjoy.

One thing to keep in mind is there are not a lot of forests so there would not be the color changes in the fall. This is scraped over ice-age territory - lots of barren rock. Hence the very lovely rock garden flowers. And pictures you see on the Oslo side of Norway will not be what you will see on the coastal side, depending on where your cruise goes.

And as they say up there, there is no bad weather in Norway; only bad clothing. All the tourist stores sell cold weather items, if you get caught either spring, or fall in their Norwegian winter. (aka their summer!)

Edited by OlsSalt

I have cruised in Norway in every month from early May through early September.

I would not recommend early May for your visit, as it is really still too cold, and there's a chance of show while there; later in May is fine.

Early in the season has more snow in the mountains, and the waterfalls are starting up. Later, there is less snow, high up on the shady side, and the waterfalls can be down to a trickle. Or not, as it depends on how the season goes.

Personally, I prefer the later May to later June range. There's still snow, but the days are long. Very long. Those lingering sunsets are gorgeous.

Thank you both RuthC and OlsSalt.... One of the trips we are tentatively looking at is for May 21...

We have friends doing the Hurtingruten line with Vantage this fall..but I think I need 1) a bigger ship (less chance of sea sickness) 2) a more comfortable cabin and 3) more space and things to occupy me if there is bad weather...

We have doen 2 Norawy cruises, one early may and one late may. The one in early may was unseasonably hot weather, 20 degr. Celsius, no clouds, no rain !

The other one : wind, rain no sunshine ! But either cruise was great, with wind and rain the fjords look differently, more menacing in a way, but still breathtakingly beautiful.

Of course in may there is still a lot of snow and waterfalls.

And since you'll be onboard a HAL ship, who cares about the weather... ;-)

For mountain hiking, September. Less snow to encounter and firmer footing. May is moist and squishy.

For breathtaking scenery, May. Snow on mountains surrounding fjords, waterfalls gushing with spring snow melt.

For best weather, say a prayer. It's a matter of luck.

Just got back from Norway on Eurodam, there last week in June. Weather was mixed but included some sunshine and warmth.

September tends to be a little warmer but also a bit wetter than May. Days will also be quite a bit shorter in September, it gets dark around 8pm versus 10pm plus in May.

I tend to agree with the earlier poster, late May to late June is as good a time as any. I'd be wary of very early May, there's not much of a transition between winter and summer and that is around the point. You could get unlucky and have very cold weather then.